Another newbie

Started by Ftxavang Pamtseotu, October 25, 2010, 02:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ftxavang Pamtseotu

Figured I'd repost this in the appropriate forum this time, accidently posted in the Introductions section for The Tribe.

Thought I'd take a moment and make a post in the introductions section.

I've been meaning/wanting to attempt to learn parts of the Na'vi language since I saw the movie in theaters. I remember thinking to myself "man it would be pretty awesome if one could actually speak Na'vi."  I also remember thinking quite a bit that there probably isn't enough of the language developed, because it was just developed for the movie specifically and even more so for specific lines. That was until I saw something on Good Morning America about communities popping up around learning the language and I believe even classes being offered at USC (or at least talk about offering classes in it).

So after watching the movie last night I thought I would see if I could find any online resources for learning at least a little bit. And be hold a huge online community devoted to it.  Lucky me. Im already beginning to see where there may be difficulties on picking things up. Though even in the movie I followed specific words and short sentences (especially after 4 viewings when it was first in theaters), I see there is going to be some issues with some of the structuring. Anywho Im rambling.

Im 27 years old, grew up around/in the Appalachia Mountains in Tennessee. Quite a bit of out doors survival training, etc etc etc. Though can't say I've ever had any experience in tracking. I say this only because I saw someone talking about their experience in Australia. Though I'd be interested in their experience with that Tribe if they actually get to participate in Tribe life.

Again I ramble. I look forward to learning and getting to know everyone.

Carborundum

Zola'u nìprrte'! Sìpley oe tsnì ngaru prrte' lìyevu fìtsenge. Txo livu sìpawm ngaru, pivawm mì sngä'iyutsenge ulte tuteo ngaru srung sivi.
Furia ngal fteria lì'fyat leNa'vi, etrìp syayvi!

Welcome! I hope you will have a good time here. If you have questions, post them in the beginnes forum and someone will help you.
I wish you luck with your studies of the Na'vi language!
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Hufwe Atxur

Kaltxì, zola'u nìprrte', or just a simple welcome! Have fun with learning Na'vi ;)
old gallery link?id=1630.jpg[/img]
NEW version of Seed of Language released! Click on the banner to find out more!

Ftxavang Pamtseotu

Irayo nìprrte' (Thank you for the welcome?)

Im picking up words and I think some phrases. Working on understanding sentence structuring... I follow the explanations of plurals, suffix and prefix usage. At least on the specific examples provided in the explanation. So here is to hoping I can put 2+2 together and come up with something at least in the ball park of 4...

Im about to throw together some phrases that I believe I would use, or do use every day in English and then attempt to translate them to Na'vi. Perhaps pick a few passages/paragraphs from a book, or even a poem to translate. I hope to come up with these selections to translate this evening when I get home.

Hopefully I won't fail totally. :P

Kì'eyawn

Kaltxì ma tsmuktu  :)  Welcome to the forum!

Oe sìlpey tsnì nga nivume lora fìlì'fyati nì'o'
I hope you have fun learning this beautiful language

If you ever have any questions, please share them with us.  We're all learning together  :D

And you won't fail, ma tsmukan.  Mistakes are just practice.  Ha ngeyä txe'lan mawey livu.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

'Oma Tirea

Kaltxì, ulte zola'eiu nìprrte'.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Ftxavang Pamtseotu

Irayo ma smukan sí smuke.

Hmmm.... It seems to me that with the little work on vocab and sentence structure, I've already started tslolam´it lì'fya Na'vi. (to under stand a bit of the Na'vi language?). I figure if I come here and visit every day and post/reply to posts and throw in small phrases like that on top of trying to incorporate what I've already learned, it'll help me improve on a daily basis in combination of my studies.

Though just my initial comprehension of the words and basic sentences is what Im noticing an improvement in... Hopefully my attempts at putting together small phrases is accurate. Here is to hoping the free form is helping me with that...  :P

Hufwe Atxur

well, then zola'eiu nìprrte'!
What might help is to include Na'vi in some daily-used vocabulary - I'm sometimes replacing the simple "Hello" with Kaltxì and more .. peoples reaction is sometimes quite funny :)

old gallery link?id=1630.jpg[/img]
NEW version of Seed of Language released! Click on the banner to find out more!

Ftxavang Pamtseotu

Quote from: Eltu Lefngap on October 26, 2010, 08:23:13 AM
well, then zola'eiu nìprrte'!
What might help is to include Na'vi in some daily-used vocabulary - I'm sometimes replacing the simple "Hello" with Kaltxì and more .. peoples reaction is sometimes quite funny :)

Most definitely trying to do that already. Well as of the last 24 hours. :P Though I haven't started tackling listening clips of audio for proper pronunciation. So what Im saying in my head at the moment for Kaltxí probably isn't accurate at all. :P

However, I did make my facebook status san Sìltsan rewon ma smukan sí smuke sìk about an hour ago. Which I believe is the proper translation of "Good morning my brother and sisters."

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Ftxavang Pamtseotu on October 26, 2010, 09:01:48 AM
...However, I did make my facebook status san Sìltsan rewon ma smukan sí smuke sìk about an hour ago. Which I believe is the proper translation of "Good morning my brother and sisters."

That's more of an English-ism.  You'll normally hear "Rewon lefpom."  There's something special about hearing Karyu Pawl himself say it, bleary-eyed, over breakfast.  I wish that experience for everyone here  ;D
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Ftxavang Pamtseotu

Quote from: Kì'eyawn on October 26, 2010, 10:27:35 AM
Quote from: Ftxavang Pamtseotu on October 26, 2010, 09:01:48 AM
...However, I did make my facebook status san Sìltsan rewon ma smukan sí smuke sìk about an hour ago. Which I believe is the proper translation of "Good morning my brother and sisters."

That's more of an English-ism.  You'll normally hear "Rewon lefpom."  There's something special about hearing Karyu Pawl himself say it, bleary-eyed, over breakfast.  I wish that experience for everyone here  ;D

Took a quick look in the Na'vi to English dictionary to see the different usage of síltsan and lefpom. And see the difference in the usage. síltsan is used appropriately for saying that a specific object/being is good. i.e. Ngey toruk síltsan lu. Versus lefpom meaning joyous/happy. Gotcha... So I'd be saying/wishing ma smukan sí smuke a joyous/happy morning.

Irayo for the correction. While I got the words correct, I see that I got the meanings/usage of síltsan incorrect. These will be the subtleties that will prove a challenge for awhile.  

So I take this would be correct for "Good afternoon my brothers and sisters"? Ha´ngir lefpom ma smukan sí smuke

guest6785

xin chào thành viên mới, và chào mừng đến diễn đàn này điên với học tập và trò chơi thư rác-ware cộng,! tránh tawtewng xin vui lòng! -  oe krrnekx hrrap(that was not na'vi)

[what it said]
hello new member,and welcome to this crazy forum with learning and spam-ware games!plus,avoid tawtewng please!

Niwantaw

Evening.
watch for the occasional spam shower

Quote from: oe  krrnekx hrrap on October 26, 2010, 03:15:19 PMavoid tawtewng please!
Hey I haven't even been about as much recently and still you spread nasty rumours.

Only mostly AWOL.

Étienne

Welcome to the boards!

Eywa Ngahu

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

join the skxawng club... we hang out in the spam section XD
Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.

Tirea Atstunwi

zola'eiu nìprrte' (as said above) and have a nice time here with us :)

Ftxavang Pamtseotu

Irayo ma smukan sí smuke... I've already really enjoyed my time here on the forums. I've slacked the last couple of days in studying níNa'vi, at least in terms of learning new things. Keeping up to par on what I've already taken in though.

Ftxavang Pamtseotu

Returned from a short vanishing spell. Even though I've been gone from the forums (even though I almost daily told myself I needed to visit) slä ngari txe'lan mawey livu, oe mi fmi plltxe nìNa'vi nìtrrtrr lu. Thanks to the Na'vi dictionary app on my android. Though only simple phrases that don't really require infixes or other leNa'vi lì'fya specifics. And Eywa knows I am probably making many many mistakes But I suppose there is something for attempting. And please please point out the mistakes I made in that phrase I made above nìNa'vi.

Irayo sì Eywa ngahu

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.