See you soon

Started by Vawmataw, October 05, 2012, 12:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vawmataw

In few hours, I'll take a break for indeterminate duration. The reason is I think that Learn Na'vi contains maybe viruses which my computer has. It's just to protect my computer, because you're a great community. See you soon!
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tirea Aean

Though I Truly believe that this virus claim is totally false, I wish you farewell, seeya soon ma tsmukan. Stay away from sketchy websites. ;D

Kekerusey

Quote from: Na'vi a Kepekmì on October 05, 2012, 12:35:37 PMIn few hours, I'll take a break for indeterminate duration. The reason is I think that Learn Na'vi contains maybe viruses which my computer has. It's just to protect my computer, because you're a great community. See you soon!

I very much doubt it ... whilst I absolutely accept that someone somewhere here may be hosting a program that has somehow become infected as far as I know virtually no one else has complained of this so the most likely cause is what we refer to in IT as PEBCAK  ;D

Some helpful advice (assuming you're using Windows) ... have you run a virus scan using a reputable scanner? Used Windows Defender (or Security Essentials as it's now known)? Scanned for spyware? Have you kept your system updated with the latest MS patches and do you have a strong password?

I suppose the key questions are do you (or any other user of the computer) make a habit of visiting disreputable sites, download stuff from sites that don't have a good reputation, open attachments or go to links (links often appearing to be genuine) in e-mails or accept things sent to you by friends on Facebook or MSN.

Ultimately you have to accept that a computer is only as good as the ay it is treated (I've seen it time and time again) ... it needs to be protected, updated and not viewed as something you can throw any application you like on. Treat it responsibly like you would a car :)

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

keftxo fì'u nìtxan lu nì'aw  :'(

If Na'vi a kepekmì were in the US, I would offer to spend some time on the phone and work with him on this problem. Of course, Skype would work for this as well. So, ma 'eylan, if you have Skype, I will offer to help you work this out.

I also truly believe LeanNavi is not responsible for his problems.

The other answer, of course, is to get him on a real operating system, like Linux...

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on October 05, 2012, 08:32:42 PM
The other answer, of course, is to get him on a real operating system, like Linux...

Brilliant.

Kemaweyan

Hrh ;D Mllte mengahu nìwotx ;D

Ma Na'vi a Kepekmì, tivätxaw nìwin ;)
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Vawmataw

Hello, I'll maybe leave later, finally.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Kekerusey

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on October 05, 2012, 08:32:42 PMThe other answer, of course, is to get him on a real operating system, like Linux...

Pah! Delusional  ;D

Keke

Tirea Aean

So you're back then? Just saw you on the Proverbs thread.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Kekerusey on October 06, 2012, 01:31:11 PM
Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on October 05, 2012, 08:32:42 PMThe other answer, of course, is to get him on a real operating system, like Linux...

Pah! Delusional  ;D

Keke

(Off-topic mode entered)
(soapbox mode entered)  ::)
Oh, you want to pick a fight,  do you  ;)

I have been running Linux as my primary OS for about 15 years now. During that time, I have had 0 viruses, 0 trojans, 0 rootkits, and 0 spambots. Most of those years, I didn't even need to run a firewall, and my computer isn't being reduced to sluggish speeds by a virus checker. My computer runs just about as fast on 8 year old hardware as a new 'power user' computer runs some OS whose name ends with a 7.  ;) My 'uptime' has been well over 99. I have not had any 'involuntary reboots' for updates, and when updates are done, most of the applications are updated with the OS. I have enjoyed great flexibility in configuring just about any aspect of my OS, and have done a few minor kernel hacks in the early days. The source code for everything is readily available, and my entire bill for software in those 15 years (not counting special applications) is well under $300.

(/soapbox)
(/off-topic mode)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Kekerusey

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on October 06, 2012, 11:44:54 PM(Off-topic mode entered)
(soapbox mode entered)  ::)
Oh, you want to pick a fight,  do you  ;)

As you wish but I suggest we do it in a more appropriate forum.

EDIT: Here's the thread.

Keke