Hello

Started by seykxel txelan, April 28, 2013, 04:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seykxel txelan

Kaltxì ma smukan si smuke (Hello brothers and sisters).  Oeru syaw seykxel txelan (I am "strong heart").  Yeah I know txelan should be txe'lan, but the registration wouldn't accept the ' as a valid character.  Anyways, Im new here and would like to learn Na'vi.  Here is a little about me.  I graduate from college in 2 weeks; easily my greatest achievment thus far.  Im also an avid bowler and have bowled a couple 300 games.  One quick question, Andrew nìNa'vi slu upe? (How do you say Andrew in Na'vi).

Tìtstewan

Kaltxì ulte zola'u nìprrte'!

It's great to see new people here! :D
Just take a look here Beginners. A very good information post: Appeal to everyone who begins to study Na'vi.

I hope you will have much fun on LN.org.

Eywa ngahu!

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Kamean

Hello and welcome! :)
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

seykxel txelan

Iryao Tìtstewan si Kamean.  I am curious with where to start.  I have looked at the 'Appeal to everyone ...', memrise, and LearnNa'vi.org.  Im not going to lie, the amount of information seems overwhelming.  Where would you suggest to start? 

Tìtstewan

I started with the vocabulary, but a mix of all (vocabulary, grammar etc.) would be good. I would say, start with that, what would be the easiest way for you. :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tirea Aean

Quote from: seykxel txelan on April 28, 2013, 04:50:16 PM
Kaltxì ma smukan si smuke (Hello brothers and sisters).  Oeru syaw seykxel txelan (I am "strong heart").  Yeah I know txelan should be txe'lan, but the registration wouldn't accept the ' as a valid character.

You can still try to change your display name to have one. You would not be the first to have ' in your display name. I think. *shrug* The forum software has been a little sassy about ' these days...

QuoteAnyways, Im new here and would like to learn Na'vi.

AWESOME. Well, you've come to the right place. :D

QuoteHere is a little about me.  I graduate from college in 2 weeks; easily my greatest achievment thus far. 

Cool. What are you studying? Anything related to language?

QuoteIm also an avid bowler and have bowled a couple 300 games.

Epic. I suck at every single game and sport mankind has ever conceived.

QuoteOne quick question, Andrew nìNa'vi slu upe? (How do you say Andrew in Na'vi).

most likely something like Äntìru. :) (either that, or translate the meaning of Andrew into Na'vi.)

Taronyu Leleioae

Kaltxì ma Seykxel Txe'lan!

Welcome to the LearnNavi family!

Begin at the beginning!  It does seem overwhelming at first.  Any new language does.  But I would look at some of the intro postings in the Beginner's section to read the very basics.  You have the dictionary.  And perhaps go to Memrise and start learning words!  (which admittedly are a bit in random order).

Also still useful, but admittedly a little out of date (meaning it's very helpful as a beginner's resource but could use some corrections and rewording as things have changed), is Na'vi in a Nutshell.  You can find this in the Media section where the dictionaries are located.

And then practice!  Post questions in the Beginner's section!  Have fun!!!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Taronyu Leleioae on April 28, 2013, 07:22:29 PM
admittedly out of date (meaning it's very good but needs some corrections and rewording as things have changed), is Na'vi in a Nutshell.  It's not perfect nor is it all the rules
Do you happen to have a list of these mistakes/fails/misleading things? A friend and I want to make a list to submit to the author so it can stand once again as a correct resource, though abridged.

Also, ma seykxel txe'lan, check out my Na'vi lessons blog (which I desperately need to get updating again) over at http://tirea.learnnavi.org for some hassle-free lessons written for beginners with little to no linguistic bacground.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Tirea Aean on April 28, 2013, 07:50:00 PM
Quote from: Taronyu Leleioae on April 28, 2013, 07:22:29 PM
admittedly out of date (meaning it's very good but needs some corrections and rewording as things have changed), is Na'vi in a Nutshell.  It's not perfect nor is it all the rules
Do you happen to have a list of these mistakes/fails/misleading things? A friend and I want to make a list to submit to the author so it can stand once again as a correct resource, though abridged.

Also, ma seykxel txe'lan, check out my Na'vi lessons blog (which I desperately need to get updating again) over at http://tirea.learnnavi.org for some hassle-free lessons written for beginners with little to no linguistic bacground.

Off topic but I also would love to see NiaN revived. It was a great resource and probably wouldn't take much to update.

Ma seykxel txelan! Zola'u nìprrte'! Normally I would translate that but you seem fairly well along with the language already. :) Well done, I knew almost nothing when I first joined the forum. I hope to see you around the forums more.

seykxel txelan

Irayo ma frapo.  These posts were helpful and atleast now I have a gameplan.  @ Tirea Aean, I studied 4 semesters of Spanish and 2 semesters of Italian.  However, that was a couple of years ago, so both will be a bit rusty.

Taronyu Leleioae

Quote from: seykxel txelan on April 28, 2013, 09:33:27 PM
I studied 4 semesters of Spanish and 2 semesters of Italian.  However, that was a couple of years ago, so both will be a bit rusty.

True.  But you've studied and learned how to learn a language.  And that's very helpful to understand how YOU learn...  You can use those skills here to learn Na'vi!

seykxel txelan

Touché nìNa'vi slu upe?    ;)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: seykxel txelan on April 28, 2013, 09:33:27 PM
Irayo ma frapo.  These posts were helpful and atleast now I have a gameplan.  @ Tirea Aean, I studied 4 semesters of Spanish and 2 semesters of Italian.  However, that was a couple of years ago, so both will be a bit rusty.

Yeah, in all my school days, I have studied French, German, and Spanish. I have looked at other languages briefly such as Japanese, Korean, Russian and such. But everything's getting rusty for me too.

Cool. So you have a game plan. Feel free to lurk and have a look around. AFter over three years, LOADS of questions have been asked and answered, and the same ones over and over in some cases. :) If you have any questions ask. We're a friendly bunch. IF you want someone to chat with, I'm available.

Quote from: seykxel txelan on April 28, 2013, 09:47:12 PM
Touché nìNa'vi slu upe?    ;)

No word for that afaik. I think there should be a very Na'vi idiom for this eventually.

Kamean

Tì'efumi oeya touché nìNa'vi slu 'ampi. :-\
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Kamean on April 29, 2013, 01:12:54 PM
Tì'efumi oeya touché nìNa'vi slu 'ampi. :-\

ral ke lu teng tì'efumì oeyä. Translating idioms and such. :-\

seykxel txelan

Kaltxì.  I was looking into the grammer, and got to the topical case.  I also looked into posts about the topical case, and was curious if the fuzziness has been cleared up?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: seykxel txe'lan on April 29, 2013, 01:50:27 PM
Kaltxì.  I was looking into the grammer, and got to the topical case.  I also looked into posts about the topical case, and was curious if the fuzziness has been cleared up?

sort of. Check this out:

http://forum.learnnavi.org/intermediate/every-single-canon-use-of-topic-case/

Also, now that the introduction has been made, can we keep discussions like this out of /introductions board and where they belong? It makes things more organised and easier for everyone in the long run. Irayo. :)