Hello all

Started by Fewla Kinamtil, January 31, 2013, 03:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fewla Kinamtil

Hello everyone,
I'd like to first say that I have been using the internet for a very long time, especially on forums. And for the last day and a half I have been reading up lots of topics here, and I think I would be right in saying that you seem like one of the friendliest bunch of forum-goers around. Reminds me of my days on JREF.

I am very new to the whole Na'vi culture/language etc.
That is because I only watched Avatar for the first time two days ago. I was going to watch it about six months ago, but then I nearly died and I forgot.
Halfway through the movie I paused it and checked the internet for a Na'vi learning site. Couldn't wait until the end haha.

Anyway, feel free to chat to me about whatever. I'm an open book. And there is plenty of room in that book to write more, with your help!

fewla kinamtil
NAVIDICT PROJECT CANCELLED.

Tìtstewan

Kaltxì ulte zola'u nìprrte', ma FewlaKinamtil! :D

Quote from: FewlaKinamtil on January 31, 2013, 03:59:49 PM
I'd like to first say that I have been using the internet for a very long time, especially on forums. And for the last day and a half I have been reading up lots of topics here, and I think I would be right in saying that you seem like one of the friendliest bunch of forum-goers around. Reminds me of my days on JREF.
:D
It is very nice to read this, irayo!

welcome in one of the friendliest forum in the whole internet. :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Fewla Kinamtil

Thank you for the welcome! irayo!

I just noticed that Na'vi doesn't have a dictionary definition for "You're Welcome".

I wonder if that is due to a cultural setting or just a word hasn't been created yet.  :-\

Loving the custom smiley GIFs this forum uses too  ;D

I hope to get to know people well!

Tìtstewan

Yes it has:
Quote from: from the dictionaryzola'u nìprrte': [zol."a.P·u nI."pr".tEP] PF ph. come pleasurably, welcome
It is just a sentence construction. ;)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Fewla Kinamtil

I think I made a mistake expressing my meaning...

Quotezola'u nìprrte': [zol."a.P·u nI."pr".tEP] PF ph. come pleasurably, welcome
I would say this is used like in your previous message, where you welcomed me to the forum.

"You're welcome" is a separate concept, and is a polite response to "thank you" in English:
Polite:
A: Here, have an apple.
B: Thank you.
A: You're welcome.

Informal:
A: *gives B an apple*
B: Thanks.
A: No problem.

German: (I think)
A: *gives B an apple*
B: Dankeschön
A: Bitteschön

I can't see a Na'vi equivalent of this "You're Welcome/Bitteschön"
;)
I might be wrong though. It wouldn't be the first time!  ;D

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Tìtstewan

Quote from: FewlaKinamtil on January 31, 2013, 04:33:29 PM
I think I made a mistake expressing my meaning...

Quotezola'u nìprrte': [zol."a.P·u nI."pr".tEP] PF ph. come pleasurably, welcome
I would say this is used like in your previous message, where you welcomed me to the forum.

"You're welcome" is a separate concept, and is a polite response to "thank you" in English:
Ah ok.
Than use nìprrte' :)

Fewla Kinamtil

irayo, ma Kamean.

D'oh, simply a case of trying all sorts of odd phrases when looking for words in the dictionary! irayo ma Tìtstewan.

Tìtstewan

Fewla Kinamtil

I've started writing a list of simple words that people use to me.
I know its going to end up huge at this rate!
;D

Tìtstewan

Stranger Come Knocking

Welcome to the forum. :)
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Fewla Kinamtil

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Kaltxì, ma FewlaKinamtil!

Welcome to the Learn Na'vi forums!

I read with interest your discussion about coming up with a word/phrase for 'your'e welcome'. In this instance, you are running up against something that is an 'idiom', a statement that has meaning only in the language/context it is used in and otherwise does not make sense. English is loaded with idioms, like 'going for broke', or 'blow this popstand', etc. 'Your'e welcome' is a more subtle idiom.

That said, Na'vi has its own set of idions and catchphrases. One of the more active threads here, on 'Na'vi proverbs' under 'customs and culture', documents a lot of these. It is also one of the better language learning threads, if you enjoy learning by learning the grammar, etc. of a language as a way of initally learning the language. One famous Na'vi idiom, and a good example is Fwäkì ke fewfwi 'a mantis doesn't whistle', meaning something is against an entity's nature.

All that said, I think kea tìkin is both appropriate, and I believe, attested for this use.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Fewla Kinamtil

Irayo ma `Eylan Ayfalulukanä.

I understand it as an idiom, but thought that the phrase makes sense from a politeness point of view: You're welcome, bitter, どういたしまして, most Earthen languages use a response to "thank you".

I also find that I am very likely to simply type as thoughts pop into my head, an example being my second post in this thread. I generally follow up my thoughts but also put them down wherever I currently am :P