Introduce Yourself

Started by zombatt, December 21, 2009, 01:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seniver

Kaltxì, I'm Sophie. I live in the UK, studying Illustration.
Loved Avatar and was intrigued by the Na'vi language, it's fascinating coming across a brand new constructed language, and seems like it will be a lot of fun trying to learn. I'm no linguist though!

Eywayä mokri

Hello there,

My name is Quentin, am 23 and I live in Switzerland, very far from the others who are talking here. :)

I speak several languages, as French, English, German and Spanish. So if you need translations or so I could maybe help. I really liked the motion picture and its wonderful world and culture. For once I thought I would make the step and get a little further into it. :) And here I am.

Don't expect my english to be perfect as I am not an english native speaker but I'll try to do my best and I think that with the Na'vi we'll all start from the same point. Hehe. :))

I studied pedagogic to become a teacher, but I realized then that I wanted something more. So I will begin a new thing this summer as an informatician, specialized in web development, marketing and design. Design is one of my passion, so don't hesitate to ask if you need something. ;)

°°We don't forget anyone, we only get used to their absence.°°

Elysio

Hi everyone !

I woke up this morning with 72 new messages from the mailing list, and i thought "we need a forum or i'll die". And here it \o/
My name is Sylvain, i'm 18 and just started this year to study swedish (and others germanic/scandinavian languages perhaps in the future) to teach french in this country in a few years i hope. I'm from France, and until now, Switzerland is my best friend.  ;D [and Belgium o//]

So much delighted to see how fast it goes o// (<- you're going to see these everywhere in my posts, i'd rather warn you ;D)

Brainiac

Quote from: Elysio on December 21, 2009, 04:58:30 AM
Hi everyone !

I woke up this morning with 72 new messages from the mailing list, and i thought "we need a forum or i'll die". And here it \o/
My name is Sylvain, i'm 18 and just started this year to study swedish (and others germanic/scandinavian languages perhaps in the future) to teach french in this country in a few years i hope. I'm from France, and until now, Switzerland is my best friend.  ;D [and Belgium o//]

So much delighted to see how fast it goes o// (<- you're going to see these everywhere in my posts, i'd rather warn you ;D)
Belgium!  \o/
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Payoang

Quote from: Eywa-ri 'eveng on December 21, 2009, 03:01:05 AM
French, English, German and Spanish

Na, herzlich Willkommen, und so. So, und bis jetzt dachte ich, dass ich der einze bin der mehr als nur eine "normale" Sprache fließened kann. (Naja, mit Deutsch hapert's wieder ein bisschen; fast keine Sprech-Möglichkeiten hier in den Staaten), y también se habla español; bastante para comunicar.

And uh, parle... well, no "parle" Frençh. Sadly, with it being eloquent and pretty and all.

Brainiac

Quote from: Seabass on December 21, 2009, 06:35:15 AM
Quote from: Eywa-ri 'eveng on December 21, 2009, 03:01:05 AM
French, English, German and Spanish

Na, herzlich Willkommen, und so. So, und bis jetzt dachte ich, dass ich der einze bin der mehr als nur eine "normale" Sprache fließened kann. (Naja, mit Deutsch hapert's wieder ein bisschen; fast keine Sprech-Möglichkeiten hier in den Staaten), y también se habla español; bastante para comunicar.

And uh, parle... well, no "parle" Frençh. Sadly, with it being eloquent and pretty and all.

How many polyglots do we have here, exactly?

Elysio

Well, if we have to expose our pride : i speak french (\\o \o/ o//), english (i think), spanish (better than i believe, but i rather not speak it), rumanian, swedish (very very few, the basical basics) and i've started german this year.

\o/

Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe

Quote from: Elysio on December 21, 2009, 06:55:40 AM
Well, if we have to expose our pride : i speak french (\\o \o/ o//), english (i think), spanish (better than i believe, but i rather not speak it), rumanian, swedish (very very few, the basical basics) and i've started german this year.

\o/

woah! that's a lot! hahahha. I'm not that expert and I'm new here. I speak my own mother language, English, and I'm familiar with Chinese, but not fluent. I really want to speak French, and of course the Na'Vi language.

wait,should I introduce myself here? I think soo... You all can call me Pin and watching the Avatar movie caught me speechless. It's like a phenomenon and for me, a new obsession. I live in South-East Asia and I'm currently in middle school; gr.8. :))
ke plltxe ngeyä kawng tìrey lu

wm.annis

Quote from: guitarsniper on December 21, 2009, 01:51:44 AM
we can be even more nerdy than the people who learn sindarin/quenya/klingon!

I suspect that there's going to be some serious overlap between the people attracted to the Elvish languages and those attracted to Na'vi.  Plus, Na'vi has the benefit, for the time being, of having the language inventor still around to pester with questions and clarifications.

Agammenon

Hi everyone!

My name is Filipe and I am from Brazil. I watched Avatar December 17th and I was astounded by it. I had to watch it for the second time. I like the Na'vi language very much and I even sent an e-mail to Mr. Frommer complimenting him for his job on the language. He answered me with a generic message and a short sentence of thanks, due to the large number of messages he is getting recently.

I study at one of the best universities here in Brazil, the UFMG (www.ufmg.br). I've had several subjects of linguistic studies there: Phonetics, Phonology and Philology, which helped me a lot to understand the structure of languages.

Na'vi uses an ergative-accusative system, which I still do not understand fully, and I think its verbal system, which includes the attitude of the speaker about what he is talking, is absolutely awesome - it is a thing I have never seen before in any language. A valuable thing to include in my own constructed languages!

Nice to meet you all!

Filipe

wm.annis

Kaltxì!  My name's William.  As you can see from the links in my sig, I deal mostly in classical languages (especially ancient Greek, with a focus on the poetry), but I've long dabbled in constructed languages, Vaior being my best known project.  I also collect languages created for literary, etc. works, so I have the Klingon dictionary on my shelves, along with books on Láadan, Tolkien's languages, etc.

While I am not a professional linguist, my language hobby has given me quite linguistic education, so that things like ejective consonants and ergative verbal agreement systems not only don't scare me, I know exactly what they are. :)  Hopefully, I'll be able to help some people through the lingistic techno-babble.

(Agememnon!  ἄριστον ἔχεις τὸ ὄνομα!)

Fortuna

Hello! my name is Fortuna and I'm studying the Na'vi language as well as Swedish, Arabic, and Japanese.  

Hejsan! Mitt namn är Fortuna och jag studerar Na'vi språket, som svenska, aribiska, och japanska.

Marhaba!  Ana ismi Fortuna wa adres al'loguhal al'Na'vi wa swedia, al'aribya, wa yaboni.

Konnichiwa!  Watashi no namae wa Fortuna desu, soshite Na'vi to Suwedenjinno to Arabiago to Nihongo o benkyou suru.

Nice to meet you all!

wisnij

Kaltxì, ma smukan sì smuke.  I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.  I hope interest in Na'vi remains high after the initial novelty wears off, and that Dr. Frommer is able to post more details soon.  Who knows, perhaps the community of language fans like those here will even end up shaping those parts of the language he hasn't formalized yet. :)
Wé cildra biddaþ þé, éalá láréow, þæt þú taéce ús sprecan rihte, forþám ungelaérede wé sindon, and gewæmmodlíce we sprecaþ.

Eyamsiyu

Kaltxì!  My name is Michael Scott (for those fans of The Office, I am not the same guy).  I attended Ball State University for one semester (last semester, to be exact) studying Music Education, but found it was not what I wanted.  So, I will be attending a community college in my hometown, taking general courses to see what I find interesting. 

I am your typical guy: loves sports, video games, movies, music, etc.  However, I can safely and shamelessly say that I can be a HUGE nerd/geek about some things.  All the Avatar stuff is definitely one of them, and I will attempt to learn the language of the Na'vi over time.  And who knows?  Maybe I'll become interested in linguistics and do that for a major.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

matthewmartin

I'm a computer programmer and amateur linguist/polyglot wanna-be. I'm not actually very good at foreign languages, but I keep trying.

I've studied tlhIngan Hol, but gave up.  I especially like toki pona and have high hopes for Na'vi.  So far, I like what I see and I think the state of the art in language construction has come a long way since Esperanto.

I hail from Arlington, Virginia and organize several language centric meetup groups on meetup.com.

Anonymous LEP Submission

Kaltxì. /smiles
My name is Isabella.
I am not in any collage but actually finishing up high-school. And I am very excited and eager to learn the beautiful language of the Na'vi.
I've just moved up into the Appalachian Mountains, those beautiful blue mountains, and plan on taking a wood carving class after the holidays are over.
This will be my first "foreign" language I hope to learn throughly. (( I have previously taught myself a little Japanese. ))
So just to warn anyone before hand, I may have lots of silly little questions. /laughs sweetly

I like developing contacts, but I am initially shy. Once you get me out of my shell though, I'm a loaded ball of petite engery.
So you better think twice if you try and miss with me! /giggles

I also have been called a terrible flirt, so don't take my terms of endearment "love" and "darlin'" seriously.
It gets people horribly confused sometimes. .__.

Please call me Isabella, and do not get me mixed up with the girl in the Twilight saga.
Though I suspect not many people here will say many absurd things about that subject. /grins

MihiK

Hi
my name is Michael. I'm from Munich Bavaria. One of my hobbies is LARP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larp.My friends and I also made a little trailer for our event trailer.isartal-live.de. My english isn't the best :-\ .I have problemms with difficult words such as the words in wikipedia for pronunciation.  :(
But I'm happy on found this website to learn Na'vi. ;D

Brainiac

Welcome everyone!
Leiu sìltsan ayfo ultxa si.

Elysio

Quote from: Brainiac on December 21, 2009, 02:26:47 PM
Leiu sìltsan ayfo ultxa si.

Hum...i tried, not very much i admit, but i didn't catch the meaning of all the words...
Oel ni'aw 'ìglìsìti plltxe. ( ;D not sure all, here to learn o//)

[Edit : oh, isn't "leiu" a form of "lu" ? and "ultxa" of "ulte" ? if it's that, i think i've understood, even if didn't understood the meaning of changing the words...]

wisnij

Quote from: Elysio on December 21, 2009, 03:22:07 PM
[Edit : oh, isn't "leiu" a form of "lu" ? and "ultxa" of "ulte" ? if it's that, i think i've understood, even if didn't understood the meaning of changing the words...]
ultxa is "meeting".  leiu is (I think) lu "be" modified with the -ei- infix meaning the speaker is happy about it.
Wé cildra biddaþ þé, éalá láréow, þæt þú taéce ús sprecan rihte, forþám ungelaérede wé sindon, and gewæmmodlíce we sprecaþ.