Introduce Yourself

Started by zombatt, December 21, 2009, 01:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taikomochi

Kaltxi, Silvi. A pleasure to have you around, and welcome. :)

I should probably tell you that you should definitely go for the 3D experience.
While most 3D devices at home or extended versions like in theaters might cause you slight headaches, there's something about Avatar that's just cancelling it down.
I'm the type to get sick on Cloverfield and Blair Witch, and to get migranes from loud sounds.

The worst thing, and best as well, that Avatar did to me was to let me out the room with tears trying to escape my eyes because I was so touched and amazed. That's how good 3D is.

Set, kä.
Now go.
:)

DianeT

Greetings,

I'm Diane Taylor from Houston.  hence the DianeT.  I'm an author who loves to read and actually have a little bit of other languages under my belt just elementary german and whatever spanish I picked up when living in California.  Go figure.

I tried learning Klingon, but the blasted stuff is way too harsh sounding.  I haven't seen the movie yet... no don't give me that look, it's the money.  I'm bound and determined to see an IMAX 3D movie once in my life.  But it costs like 15 bucks to get in... for me, I also need 5 to 10 bucks to get to the theater and back on the bus.

No, what little of the Na'Vi language I've come up with is on Youtube.  But I love it.  My roomie thinks I'm nuts, but it's fun.  Unfortunately, I think I'm the only one in my area learning it.

Anyways, hope to learn more... I'm one of those who listens, and associates with a flash card when I learn.
Writers don't get mad, they write books.   
So beware when they offer you immortality, you may get more than you bargained for. *evil grin*

mcgill

Taikomochi

Kaltki Diane, mcgill. :)

Oh, mcgill;

tsakem lu poe san
(I like to think I've translated a "That's what she said" xD Feel free to correct, though. :)

Tsmukan Ikranä

Hello
   My name is Jacob Flynn, i live in jersey. I saw avatar 3D ( non-imax with regrets ) for the first time last night and i was just blown away by the film. I would have seen it sooner but due to my work situation and the tix being sold out . . . . . . . anywho. I fell in love with the Na'vi the first i saw them and their language just spoke to me, every word, syllable and even the noises they made based on emotion. It was a film of epic proportions and hit me soo hard at times i had trouble breathing. Im a tech head, but not officially, ive never been to college due to financial issues but would love to go. I basically know english, tiny tiny bit of french ( i took it for two years but it just never sank in due to family members illness :'( , beautiful language tho ). I wish to learn Na'vi, but i dont know where to start, ive been looking on the learnnavi.org but they keep throwing stuff out that is just confusing me to no end. ??? Especially all that linguistic stuffs, i mean wow.  :o So i decided to stop by the forums here and see if there was a place to start simple, learning a new language at 24 can be a huge task, but its something im willing to try and would love as much help as i can possibly get from here. I can look and check on the go thanks to my internet enabled, and pdf capable phone. ive been looking over the first section of the pdf but really cant make hide nor hair of it as of now. Im extremely persistant, even when im past the insane frustration point. As you prolly have noticed my grammer sucks LOL, but im not here to fix my english. I want/need to learn the language of the Na'vi, i want to be able to watch the movie and understand the non-subbed portions and even turn off the subs and be able to understand what else is being said. I hope i can excel here and achieve the goal so many of you are actually really close to.

Persistence can be compared to obsession, tho persistence isnt frowned upon like obsession is most of the time.

Kaltxi!!
Irayo niwotx srung!! (  :-X thats soo bad LOL )
Seze
Tsteu Seze! Txur Seze! FKEU SEZE!!
Nawm ronsem lonu ta fkeu tokx, fpi Na'Viä fpom.
Mawey txur txe'lan, tswayon nìwin.
Set unil ftue.
Eywa ngahu tsmuke! ( Irayo! everyone who helped me edit this n.n )

Zalorticus

Hello everyone! My name is Alex, and I have been trying to find a place to learn Na'vi ever since I heard the word. I am learning French in school right now, and I am studying Japanese and Korean on my own. There are so many languages I want to learn, but this one is definately my favorite.
Failure is the mother of success.
Soon, we will no longer be the leaves on the wind, but the wind itself.
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Kip Pizayu

Hey, I'm Niel!

I just watched Avatar and was amazed by the Na'vi and especially the language they spoke. I'm majoring in Linguistics next year, so this totally intrigued me. I speak Afrikaans and English very fluently and studying Mandarin as a university subject, but I've always wanted to learn more languages. Na'vi seems like a good choice. :D
Kip Pizayu - Among an Ancestor

Payoang

Brainiac

Quote from: Taikomochi on December 22, 2009, 02:11:36 PM
tsakem lu poe san
(I like to think I've translated a "That's what she said" xD Feel free to correct, though. :)

BWAHAHA ;D ;D

Anyway:
Kaltxe ma ay'eveng eywayä.
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Muntxa-a Eywa

Hi,
I'm Levi in Denton Tx, although I am from Colorado. I'm a manager at GameStop and have learned German. After seeing Avatar I wanted to learn Na'vi so here I am!

The Pandoran

Kaltxì, I'm Jay, an obsessive compulsive with an interest in sci-fi, fantasy and astronomy, amongst other things. Damn you James Cameron.

I speak English and Italian, also a fair bit of other romance languages. I don't really have an analytical mind as such, so I will appreciate any help that can be given by superior linguists.

I saw the movie (ok, more than once), loved it, can't wait for more. Might as well have a go at the language in some of my spare time, it can't hurt. I've never been into any constructed languages before, so this is all new to me. Irayo  ;)

Nume fpi sänume

Welcome to all the new forum members! There is a load of information here, all you have to do is look a bit and read threads. I would suggest the jMemorize program that we have posted in the section for materials like that (name escapes me right now), its a very powerful tool. Again, welcome.

vekpire

My name is Anev, I am a high school student.
Though I have no serious training in linguistics, I am somewhat of a language hobbyist.  I am fluent in both English and Spanish, and I am teaching myself Greek and Japanese.  When I first saw Avatar, one of the most intriguing aspects, to me, was the language.
Nice to meet you all, I hope I can have a good time learning the language with you. (:

Nayumeie

Quote from: Taikomochi on December 22, 2009, 02:11:36 PM
tsakem lu poe san

I'm getting "that is she saying" out of that. I think you might want:
tsakem poeyä san lolu
that she-GEN saying be-PERF
"That was her saying."
Or, possibly:
tsakem poeyä san lìmu
that she-GEN saying be-REC
Of course, the second one would be "She JUST said that," so I'd stick with the first.

Taronyu

Kalt'i!

I'm Richard. I study Linguistics at the University of Edinburgh, hoping to go for my doctorate in a year after I wrap up my undergrad degree, probably in Tocharian studies or something to do with pitch perception. (Although, I'm thinking a degree mixing linguistics with Creative writing would be awesome.) I know Latin, Greek, and rudimentary Japanese, and can travel in around a dozen languages (but not really speak them). President of the Linguistics Society and former pres. of Sci-fi society - should be obvious why I like Na'vi.

I've seen Avatar three times in the same amount of days. So good! I learned too much Na'vi already, though, and seemed to have exhausted my friend's abilities to take my nerdiness. So: hoping to find cooler people here. ^__^

Tirealì'u

Nume fpi sänume

im pretty sure this area is either a linguists wet dream, or worst nightmare. Since im not one, im not sure which it is lol.

Txur’Itan

Kaltxì.

Swotu Utral Aymokriyä fpe' plltxe pizayu fìtsenge! Ngaru lu fpom srak?

My name is Christopher Nelson - Na'vi name is probably close to "Kris'Nesenge".  Txoa my cobbled together understanding, it is because I studied a hand full of words for 14 hours on Monday, Dec 21.

I live in the San Francisco Bay area of California USA.
I ham a nerdaholic, I have never been free of it.

Skills

Klingon - check; but weak
Japanese - learned, used, don't use much after last five years, I remember words here and there
Tagalog - not used since 1983
Russian - five words I use reliably
German - I can ask for beer, and say I love you
French - I wish
Spanish - Wannabe
English - American Programmer (I R HERE)

If we can chat, it would be good to practice actively speaking the language.

Txen, Eywa ngahu!
私は太った男だ。

Ptxèrra

kaltxi,

my name is Sebastiaan Rietveld, zookeeper, (makes me interested for the na'vi wildlife.)
intrested in learning languages, i come from holland (lets give that a Na'vi name like othlandè)

i am a fanatic in Live Active Role Playing, making harnasses and other larp equipment

i speak three languages quiet good:
Dutch, German, and of coure English(otherwise i wouldn't be here.)
and a bit chinese (mandarin) bit spanish.
and hopefully i could speak na'vi like the three above languages.

irayo, oe kame aynga.
Oel ayngati kameie i was there

remember power corrups, absolute power..... is a whole lot of fun.
Sheepies: They just eat grass until something kills them,  it might as well be you!!

Brainiac

Quote from: Taronyu on December 23, 2009, 12:55:45 AM
Kalt'i!
I've seen Avatar three times in the same amount of days. So good! I learned too much Na'vi already, though, and seemed to have exhausted my friend's abilities to take my nerdiness. So: hoping to find cooler people here. ^__^
Kaltxi txuraolo'eyktan.
I know the feeling. My friends can't stand the sound of another sentence in Na'vi.
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.