Introduce Yourself

Started by zombatt, December 21, 2009, 01:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombatt

Why not!

guitarsniper

My name is David, and I live in Oakland, Ca. I have training in Latin, and I'm really happy to meet you all.

there's another introductions thread, but i've asked a mod to delete it.
ayoengl fa ftia emz<ay>a'<ei>u

Karyu Amawey

Hey everyone, my name is Joe.  I study linguistics at the University of Florida, specializing in sociolinguistics and syntax, and it's an honor to be getting into all of this with you.
Oel ayngati kameie

guitarsniper

hey! we've got ourselves a real-deal linguist. awesome!

Sarkath

My name is Justin, I am a 20-year-old from Greensburg, PA.  I currently attend California University of Pennsylvania and I am a Junior with a major in Radio/TV Broadcasting and a minor in Marketing.  I also volunteer to save lives.

zombatt

Quote from: guitarsniper on December 21, 2009, 01:46:42 AM
there's another introductions thread, but i've asked a mod to delete it.
heh, great minds think alike

Tirealì'u

I'm Sean. I currently live in Austin, Texas, although I grew up in the much cooler lower-state Michigan - and then went to college in the even colder Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where I majored in Scientific and Technical Communications. I've taken that into a PR/Community Management/Social media career from there.

I am no linguist by any means, although I've spent a bit of time learning Spanish and German - but long ago and I barely know a word of either of them. I did, however, study Japanese for a while during college, and studied abroad in Japan for a year.

Ultimately, the idea of learning a constructed language is still a bit odd to me, I also think this sounds like an awful lot of fun - and hey, I've always wanted to do something truly, unconditionally nerdy/geeky. What could possibly be more so than learning a language from a great sci-fi film? ;-)

guitarsniper

we can be even more nerdy than the people who learn sindarin/quenya/klingon!

Tirealì'u

Quote from: guitarsniper on December 21, 2009, 01:51:44 AM
we can be even more nerdy than the people who learn sindarin/quenya/klingon!

Darn right! We'll show them! :-D

Skxawng

[quote author=Tireamorki link=topic=7.msg69#msg69 date=1261381860
I am no linguist by any means, although I've spent a bit of time learning Spanish and German - but long ago and I barely know a word of either of them. I did, however, study Japanese for a while during college, and studied abroad in Japan for a year.

Ultimately, the idea of learning a constructed language is still a bit odd to me, I also think this sounds like an awful lot of fun - and hey, I've always wanted to do something truly, unconditionally nerdy/geeky. What could possibly be more so than learning a language from a great sci-fi film? ;-)
[/quote]

I am in the exact same boat!! Tried to learn french in high school, hated the teacher, brother tried to teach me russian, didn't want to, and recently I've been scratching the surface on german, but its weird.  I too want something unconditionally geeky. Even if I end up only learning a few sentences, I really enjoyed the sound of the language on screen and I'd like knowing even just a little.

"prrkxentrrkrr is a skill best saved for only the most cunning linguist"

Karyu Amawey

I think the most amazing thing about Na'Vi is the freedom that comes with it.  There appears to be very little in the rules of word order, and so that shouldn't be too difficult to work around.  If anyone needs help with the ergative-absolutive aspect of this language I would be more than happy to help out, seeing as us nominative-accusative speakers always seem to have a hard time wrapping out heads around it!
Oel ayngati kameie

guitarsniper

if you could post up something about it in the beginners forum, that would be awesome.

Skxawng

Seze

Hi, I'm Michael.  I remember lots of pain and frustration trying to learn spanish back in high school and more recently in college, but for some reason learning about the Na'vi language just seems fun.  I've gone back and watched the movie again after trying to learn some of the language and its really interesting to start picking up on the non subtitled words that get thrown around...   

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

HawkPidgeon

Quote from: Karyu amawey on December 21, 2009, 01:56:18 AM
I think the most amazing thing about Na'Vi is the freedom that comes with it.  There appears to be very little in the rules of word order, and so that shouldn't be too difficult to work around.  If anyone needs help with the ergative-absolutive aspect of this language I would be more than happy to help out, seeing as us nominative-accusative speakers always seem to have a hard time wrapping out heads around it!

I would actually just love a post describing what various linguistics terms even mean. I'm slightly confused by Wikipedias documentation on many of these terms.
Fìtsenge lu Eywayä kelku, sì fìtsenge lor lu. | Oel oeti kameie fa ngeyä menari.

Payoang

Hi folks! My name is Sebastian; I'm native to Germany, but have spent the last decade in Santa Rosa. I'm a junior at UC Santa Cruz (think 60 miles south of San Francisco, CA), majoring in film. Computer graphics, web-dev, composing, piano performances, literature and linguists are just things I juggle on the side.

guitarsniper

I'm applying to there to come as a freshie fall 2010!

Skxawng

other fun facts about me:

I love cats, nature and archery (lol) survivalism, digital art, ceramics, sculpture and painting.  I'm a concept artist for a video game company aand I'm a cheese snob

Brainiac

I'm Tom, and I study linguistics at the university of Antwerp, with a focus on English, Literature, Film and Theatre.
I know quite a bit of languages due to where I was raised, but Na'vi is by far the most interesting language I've ever come across.

fun facts:
I can be arrogant/stupid. Just *thwack* me when I'm overdoing it.
I have 3 cats, 2 rabbits, 2 mothers and 1 sister. :)
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Sarkath

Welcome to the forums Tom!

Also, do not worry, I can be pretty arrogant/stupid a lot of the time.