*Casually Looks Around*

Started by Batureang 🦈, September 12, 2018, 03:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batureang 🦈

Hey'all.  I'm theAfanc.  Nice to meetcha.  I am 25, I work at a bowling alley and I watched Avatar like four times in a row on my last shift.  So I stumbled towards this site decided I would like to try to learn Na'vi.

Buuuuuuuut I sort of have a secret.  I'm not really new.  I was actually one of the 'originalish' members, I joined this forum about a week after the movie came out.  I was pretty active and I learned a lot.  But I fell away from the site and the language because I am bad with memorization (languages have always been a fascination of mine but I am really bad at learning them) and I didn't have anyone to practice with so I didn't get much done.  I have come back a few times over the years, deciding to try to learn again but I always disappear again.  So I don't doubt that I will probably disappear again in the future but I am back for now and want to learn what I can while I can.  And for anyone old enough to remember me, I used to be Aykerusey.

So, assume I know nothing.  Because I don't.  I am here to start over and learn everything a new again and hopefully, this time around I will utilize the interactive resources to actually have a reason to learn. 

I guess I should probably add more introductiony stuff, as I said I am 25, I have a college degree in theatre and film.  My dream is to work with animals in Hollywood.  I run a lightsaber stunt and performance team with a few friends and we perform for conventions and movie premiers.  We would love to branch out and do other non-Star Wars things as well so we'll see where that goes.  I am a cosplayer and a fursuiter.  I am a SCAdian, although I only go to one, maybe two events a year due to time.  I am also a smalltime writer, I do NaNoWriMo although I've never won.  The series/book I am working on takes place in a personally designed world and I am trying to create a ConLang for it which is another reason I cam back here.  I thought maybe learning an existing COnLang would help me develop my own.  I have two kitties and am currently fostering a doggo and I firmly believe that Avatar is the greatest film of all time.

Tirea Aean

:O !!!

Aykerusey mi Terìran??

Ayker! welcome back!! :D :D

How have you been?

Come check out our Discord chat whenever you get a chance :) (see my signature)

Toliman

Kaltxì ulte zola'u nìprrte' nìmun ma theAfanc :)

Welcome here again!

Batureang 🦈

Quote from: Tirea Aean on September 12, 2018, 03:15:58 PM
:O !!!

Aykerusey mi Terìran??

Ayker! welcome back!! :D :D

How have you been?

Come check out our Discord chat whenever you get a chance :) (see my signature)
You were the first to reply to my last "I'm back" thread too.  I missed you my dude :D  Glad to know I haven't been totally forgotten.  I've been well; graduated from University with a currently useless degree, working part-time at a bowling alley struggling to make enough money for rent.  Just moved into a smaller apartment in a better location and finding myself with enough free time on my hands that I thought I might try to come back here.

How have you been?  I'm glad to see you're still around here.  I was worried that everyone I knew might have cycled out.  I will totally check out the Discord server after I do a little recon.  I found all of my old copies of workbooks and dictionaries so I need to see whats been updated and read up on some basic syntax stuff before I try to delve into anything emersive.

Toliman

Quote from: theAfanc on September 12, 2018, 03:12:09 PM
I do NaNoWriMo although I've never won.  The series/book I am working on takes place in a personally designed world and I am trying to create a ConLang for it which is another reason I cam back here.  I thought maybe learning an existing COnLang would help me develop my own.
Sounds interesting! Could you show us something from your ConLang? :)

Batureang 🦈

Quote from: Toliman on September 12, 2018, 04:04:32 PM
Quote from: theAfanc on September 12, 2018, 03:12:09 PM
I do NaNoWriMo although I've never won.  The series/book I am working on takes place in a personally designed world and I am trying to create a ConLang for it which is another reason I cam back here.  I thought maybe learning an existing COnLang would help me develop my own.
Sounds interesting! Could you show us something from your ConLang? :)

I don't have much.  The most developed thing is the concept of soft and hard sounds; and you can sort of discern the meaning of a word based on if it is solely devised by hard or soft.  So words that equate to things that are physical 'rock', 'body' are created using hard sounds and things that are more conceptual 'love' 'spirit' are soft sounds.  I have a few words created but thats really as far as I've gotten.  The world and the series is a fantasy, a lot of different humanoid species but the original users of this language were a reptilian species.  The language has gone on to be the base of the magic across the world but few speak it fluently outside of the 'monsterous' species and magicians.

Toliman

That's really interesting! I hope that you will be successfull with other creation of your ConLang :)

Tìtstewan

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

eejmensenikbenhet

Aykerusey? Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time!
Zola'u nìprrte nìmun ma tsmuk

Practising has gotten easier over the years, first on Teamspeak and nowadays on Discord, so hopefully that'll draw you right back in.

Batureang 🦈

Quote from: eejmensenikbenhet on September 13, 2018, 03:58:16 AM
Aykerusey? Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time!
Zola'u nìprrte nìmun ma tsmuk

Practising has gotten easier over the years, first on Teamspeak and nowadays on Discord, so hopefully that'll draw you right back in.
Hey!  How ya been?  Glad to know I'm not so ancient that a few people remember me.  Now I just wish I had the knowledge and fluency to backup my infamacy.  I have joined the discord, I'm hoping that helps.  I also found the panel that Paul ran at the 2012 Avatar meet and I'm watching those and I love them!  I just need to buckle down and find myself a good reason to learn and then I'll focus in on it.

Vawmataw

Welcome back!
I'm here since 2012 and Tirea Aean is still around :)
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tirea Aean

Mech

Welcome back although I don't know you :) I had the same problem like you, I have been on-off in this site, and my interest in Na'vi, since Avatar came out. The reason was that I couldn't find a learning resource as I wanted it. I tried to fill the gap with  my blog (check my signature) which is close to how I want a learning resource, so I hope you can find it helpful.

Also, do you know a webpage known as "Language Construction Kit"? It has several useful insights and guidelines on how to create a conlang.

Batureang 🦈

Quote from: Mech on September 13, 2018, 11:46:36 PM
Welcome back although I don't know you :) I had the same problem like you, I have been on-off in this site, and my interest in Na'vi, since Avatar came out. The reason was that I couldn't find a learning resource as I wanted it. I tried to fill the gap with  my blog (check my signature) which is close to how I want a learning resource, so I hope you can find it helpful.

Also, do you know a webpage known as "Language Construction Kit"? It has several useful insights and guidelines on how to create a conlang.
I will totally take a look at your blog!  I have found it difficult to learn because everyone just throws grammar and rules at you to start with but my real problem comes with memorizing words.  I need to be able to learn like it is my first language, through pictures and people dumbing it down like I don't understand English in the first place.  Alas, perhaps someday it will all sink in!

Quote from: Tirea Aean on September 13, 2018, 06:49:28 PM
Tirea Aean ™
Since 2010

;D  :ikran:

Registration date on my first account was: January 03, 2010, 09:33:53 pm.  Kinda sad I lost that prestige by making this account but I have no idea what my login info was.  And I kinda feel like I'd be lieing to myself and everyone else with my 800+ posts.  Pretending like I know stuff when I don't XD

EDIT: WAIT HOLD UP!  Tirea I just checked your reg date and you joined on January 14th.  Technically I joined before you!  That makes me even more sad about leaving XD

Tirea Aean

Quote from: theAfanc on September 14, 2018, 12:04:50 AM

I will totally take a look at your blog!  I have found it difficult to learn because everyone just throws grammar and rules at you to start with but my real problem comes with memorizing words.  I need to be able to learn like it is my first language, through pictures and people dumbing it down like I don't understand English in the first place.  Alas, perhaps someday it will all sink in!

Tirea Aean ™
Since 2010

Registration date on my first account was: January 03, 2010, 09:33:53 pm.  Kinda sad I lost that prestige by making this account but I have no idea what my login info was.  And I kinda feel like I'd be lieing to myself and everyone else with my 800+ posts.  Pretending like I know stuff when I don't XD

EDIT: WAIT HOLD UP!  Tirea I just checked your reg date and you joined on January 14th.  Technically I joined before you!  That makes me even more sad about leaving XD

If you would like, I can assist you in recovering your previous forum account so that you can log into it again :D (which, I believe, is this one: https://forum.learnnavi.org/profile/?u=1004)

Batureang 🦈

Quote from: Tirea Aean on September 14, 2018, 12:16:05 AM
Quote from: theAfanc on September 14, 2018, 12:04:50 AM

Tirea Aean ™
Since 2010

If you would like, I can assist you in recovering your previous forum account so that you can log into it again :D (which, I believe, is this one: https://forum.learnnavi.org/profile/?u=1004)

That is it, but I think I'd rather just start a new.  Makes me feel like less of a worthless lump without a name or a post count to live up to.

[email protected]

Kaltxì! Selling custom signatures for £1 each! Message me for details :)