Hello Everybody!

Started by Tìftxavang, July 04, 2014, 01:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tìftxavang

Kaltxì,

Hey, nice to meet you all! ;) I am new to this place and Na'vi so be gentle! So far I only know very few words as I like to start things from the very beginning!

A bit about me - I am an Avatar fan (imagine, a fan on a Na'vi website) from the U.K. As far as languages go, I only speak English and bits and pieces of French from school, so I am not a master linguist and will probably be a very slow learner, but I'll give it a shot!

A few questions:

1) As I am a complete new guy, stuck in a vast website - where does one begin? ???
2) If you want to respond in Na'vi could you add an English translation too as I probably will be left confused at it. If so, that is very appreciated!
3) Is Tìftxavang the right word for "passion"? I cheated and used the Learn Na'vi app but wondering in case I made a mistake.

Hope to get along and fit nicely in this website!

Tìftxavang

Ezy Ryder

You can use Anki for vocabulary (free and portable spaced repetition software), there are ready-made decks at the main page, under "media." It'll allow you to learn (and retain) dozens of new words every day. A good plug-in for Anki is "show the answer after x seconds." On Android, you just need to go to the settings to set this.
For grammar, you can use "Horen Lì'fyayä LeNa'vi" (aka Na'vi reference grammar).

Tìtstewan

Kaltxì ulte zola'eiu nìprrte' fìtsenge! :D

It's awesome to see new smuk here!

As for your questions:
1) The FAQ, Links to useful learning materials, this thread: Appeal to everyone who begins to study Na'vi and some other sticky threads in the forum, especially the Beginner section and their subboards. :) If you need some info about the Forum's BB code functions, here is a Tutorial.

2) Kaltxì! <- this maroon coloured letters hide the translation, move the mouse over it.  :)

3) It is absolutely fine. :) That word is also in the main dictionary. ;)

Welcome and have fun! :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tirea Aean

Kaltxì ma Tìftxavang! (Yes that indeed is the word for passion)

Zola'u nìprrte'! (Welcome!)

The /beginners forum is a good place to start.

Most of what we got here is text and best understood with a little linguistic background.

I suggest checking out that Na'vi conversations board for beginners. Jumping right in is a great way to go, trust me.

And If you're one who learns best vocally with 1 on 1 lessons, I know someone in the UK who does professional Na'vi language tutoring. Flexible schedule on your terms and reasonable pricing. She's called Neytiri and she's phenomenal. ;)

Wllìm

Kaltxì ma Tìftxavang, (hover for translations ;) )

Zola'u nìprrte' fìtsenge!
As for question 3, I wouldn't call looking up words "cheating" (I do it every time I post! :P), but "research" :D
My advice: I think it is most important to not be afraid of making errors - we all make errors ;) Just try writing in Na'vi as much as you can.

ta Wllìm

Tirea Aean

I definity agree with Wllìm. Please, don't be afraid to make errors. Literally everyone makes errors, especially when getting started.  :)

Tìftxavang

Wow! So many responses!

I was only afraid as it was my username, heh. Well - that's a lie, I'm not a big fan of mistakes. Though I guess everybody makes them! Thanks for the friendliness. :)

I'll look at those links too, and see if I can make sense of it. I'll maybe poke around a little on the Beginners section once I feel a bit more confident.

If you have any new advice by all means share! I'd appreciate it very much.

Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

Kaltxì ngaru, ma Tìftxavang, ulte zola'u nìprrte'! Oel ngati kameie, ulte fwa nga zola'u fìtseng sunu oer. Furia tìkxey si, txopu rä'ä si; zene fko tsakem sivi fte nivume.
:D

Eywa ngahu.
Ke tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Tìftxavang

Oel ngati kameie nìsteng, ma Neytiri. Irayo, nìtwotx aynga. :)

I have no idea if that was correct with grammar and all, but I took words from the app and put them together.  :P Correct me by all means and I'll start learning today.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tìftxavang on July 05, 2014, 01:39:40 AM
Oel ngati kameie nìsteng, ma Neytiri. Irayo, nìtwotx aynga. :)

I have no idea if that was correct with grammar and all, but I took words from the app and put them together.  :P Correct me by all means and I'll start learning today.

Near perfect! :D

nìsteng -> nìteng
aynga -> ayngar / ayngaru

Tìftxavang

Irayo! ;) Oel paylltxe leNa'via lì'fya nìsìlpey!

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Tìftxavang on July 05, 2014, 09:07:06 AM
Irayo! ;) Oel paylltxe leNa'via lì'fyat(i) nìsìlpey!

;)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Tìftxavang

Quote from: Tìtstewan on July 05, 2014, 09:15:30 AM
Quote from: Tìftxavang on July 05, 2014, 09:07:06 AM
Irayo! ;) Oel payllxe leNa'via lì'fyat(i) nìsìlpey!

;)

Just realised I typed "paylltxe" as "payllxe" - oops!

I also noticed sometimes people typed "t" or "ti" - what is the difference? ??? I only know the difference between "it" and "ti" at the moment with the consonants and vowels but not figured this.

Tìtstewan

First, the word "plltxe" (even with t, I overlooked it :-[) can be transivive or intransitive. In reported speech, one use X plltxe san ... (sìk), in questions or in case like you used it, plltxe is used transitively.
Paul Frommer explained it here Reported speech, reported questions

Other way one could say it:

Oe paylltxe nìNa'vi nìsìlpey!
lit.: I will speak hopefully Na'vily.

between -ti, -t and -it there is no difference, they are the same case. You could write lì'fyat or lì'fyati | kelutralit or kelutralti

But there are some exeptions, especially at diftongs:
-r-ru-ur-t-ti-it
ey-keyeyrukeyeyurkeyeytkeyeyti-
ay-wayruwayurwaytwaytiwayit
ewfahewrfahewru--fahewtifahewit
aw'etnawr'etnawru'etnawur-'etnawti'etnawit

Tirea Aean

plltxe nìNa'vi is more popular and idiomatic.

I always just say rule of thumb choose the ending that is easiest to pronounce.

To make things simpler.