Kaltxì!

Started by Tsyalatun te Eyktan Txuratu'itan, May 05, 2012, 09:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsyalatun te Eyktan Txuratu'itan

Kaltxì, ma oeyä eylan.

A Brit, joining from Surrey, UK.

Irayo for such an expansive and rich site, there's certainly plenty to get ones teeth into.

Having first seen Avatar for the first time when it was aired on national TV, I'm now regretting not having gone to see it at the cinema when it was first released.  :(

I've been studing the language now on and off for three weeks.  I think I have the basics of the grammar (from NiaN), and I'm now working on building up my vocabulary.  However, I've come to realise is that while tools like memrise are very useful for adding vocabulary, it's very easy to learn the words with the wrong pronunciation - which is probably a fairly bad idea.  One thing I'm trying to do with the words memrise is giving me is to create Na'vi sentences - hopefully ones which come close to being gramatically correct.

I'm finding Ftiafpi's audio collection useful (Irayo ma Ftiafpi!) in guiding some of the pronunciation, but this is no substitute for having Neytiri insisting that you pronounce nari correctly and slapping you round the head when you get it wrong!

I'm on the IRC channel most days, and where ayzìma'uyu ask about resources, I'm happy to point them at the various PDFs even though I can't help with the language aspects at the moment.

Irayo ulte kìyevame!

Kamean

Kaltxì ma Tsyalatun ulte zola'eiu nìprrte'! :)
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Stranger Come Knocking

Welcome to the forum.
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto)

Welcome to the forum and welcome home, to your clan and family. This is ONE of the audio dictionaries I use. It is not extensive but I enjoy it. http://naviwotd.nlpagan.net/indexjs.php

Once Txonä finds this thread, and I know he will. He can point you to TeamSpeak 3 server classes that he hosts. When they stay on topic one can learn a TON of Na'vi stuff. Not entirely certain where they are in the classes right now. Might be intermediate or higher. But there are backdated sessions and Prezi (presentations) I am sure.

Again, welcome home.

Toruk

"He who destroys a good book kills reason itself." -John Milton

"Mathematics is the gate and key to the sciences." -Roger Bacon

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

Ma Toruk, Irayo.

The Na'vi word of the day link seems useful, many thanks for that.

I'll certainly look out any information on the backdated sessions, and look forward to Txonä's reply.

I've been looking through the forum in more depth yesterday and came across Kemaweyan's appeal to beginners, and immediately thought "wiya".  At least I've been trying to create some sentences using the information I've gathered so far.  However, I'm now wondering whether I should put my own attempts on hold until the next round of classes start for GMT/GMT+1.

I'm also looking into possibilities for the Seattle meet this July...

Tanri

Zola'u nìprrte' ma Tsyalatun!

QuoteHowever, I'm now wondering whether I should put my own attempts on hold until the next round of classes start for GMT/GMT+1.
The Ngaynume sessions are in progress, every Tuesday and Thursday 21:00 CE DST (GMT +2), which is 19:00 in UK.
I deliberately wrote "sessions", because in these days Ngaynume doesn't looks like real school class, but rather as a timeframe for getting together on TeamSpeak, attempting to speak, and asking questions (if there are any).
You will be welcomed.
Tätxawyu akì'ong.

Blue Elf

Welcome here, Tsyalatun, zola'u nìprrte'!
Quote from: Tanri on May 06, 2012, 01:37:17 PM

QuoteHowever, I'm now wondering whether I should put my own attempts on hold until the next round of classes start for GMT/GMT+1.
The Ngaynume sessions are in progress, every Tuesday and Thursday 21:00 CE DST (GMT +2), which is 19:00 in UK.
I deliberately wrote "sessions", because in these days Ngaynume doesn't looks like real school class, but rather as a timeframe for getting together on TeamSpeak, attempting to speak, and asking questions (if there are any).
You will be welcomed.
You are welcome on Ngaynume, come to us (IMHO it starts on 20:00 of UK time - there is summer time in your country too, isn't it?)
What we do mostly is creating sentences based on pictures, so it is good training - and fun too.
If you want to ask any question, post it under Beginner section; it will be answered fo sure.
As for Kemaweyan's appeal... hmm, honestly I think it's tone can scare beginners (as scared me a little too). Of course you must invest some effort and it is very useful if you do it everyday, but I agree more with Le'eylan - learning must be at first place amusing. Check her prezi lessons for Ngaynume (it is sticky thread under Learning projects, if I'm not mistaken). They helped me a lot - you learn basic rules and vocabulary with funny pictures and nearly without English.
Remember two rules:
- learn with fun
- ask whenever you do not understand something. Who do not ask, do not get answer.
It works, you can trust me. Tested on me.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Quote from: Tanri on May 06, 2012, 01:37:17 PM

You will be welcomed.

Irayo ma Tanri si Blue Elf.

I've setup TeamSpeak, and confirmed it can connect to the server this evening, which is great.  I assume Ngaynume will be listen only?  (At the moment I don't have a suitable mic for the PC...)

Blue Elf, as I'm in the UK you are correct about BST.  Will try to be there.  Thanks.

Lambourne

Quote from: Kamean on May 05, 2012, 10:45:32 AM
Kaltxì ma Tsyalatun ulte zola'eiu nìprrte'! :)

Welcome to this forum and enjoy your stay here.

Tanri

Quote from: tsyalatun on May 06, 2012, 03:23:00 PM
I've setup TeamSpeak, and confirmed it can connect to the server this evening, which is great.  I assume Ngaynume will be listen only?  (At the moment I don't have a suitable mic for the PC...)
If you are currently planning to buy a mic, i would definitely recomend a headset, not standalone mic - because mic with speakers cause echo.
Best but a little pricey option is an USB headset - it connects itself as independent audio device and you can use it in lot of communication programs (skype for example) while leaving your default sound card and speakers configuration intact.

Pängkxo ngahu nìNa'vi fu teri Na'vi, a fi'uri srefereiey oe nìprrte'.
Tätxawyu akì'ong.

Blue Elf

Quote from: tsyalatun on May 06, 2012, 03:23:00 PM
I've setup TeamSpeak, and confirmed it can connect to the server this evening, which is great.  I assume Ngaynume will be listen only?  (At the moment I don't have a suitable mic for the PC...)
Not just listen. As we are creating sentences, we write them into text chat and who is brave enough :), can speak it. But we aren't great speakers, so text chat is important part of lesson.
Important note: we use TS just for audio, to see lesson, go to http://na.learnnavi.org and login into International room using visitor password. Here runs presentation and text chat
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)