Kaltxì! I'm new

Started by funìsfun8, October 27, 2013, 09:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funìsfun8

Kaltxì! I'm funìsfun8. I'm new so I thought I should introduce myself. I'm very new to Na'vi. I'm currently reading "Na'vi in a Nutshell" and LOVING it! After that I'm not quite sure where to go. How can I practice what I'm learning as I learn it? Thanks in advance for answers. 'Ivong Na'vi!

Tìtstewan

Kaltxì ulte zola'u nìprrte' fìtseng, ma funìsfun8! :D

Nice to see new face here! Welcome!
I think, Pivängkxo nìNa'vi Ko! Beginner Na'vi Chat Thread is the right place for you, if you want start to write. :)

And feel free to ask if you have questions!

Eywa ngahu!

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

funìsfun8

I'm gonna be honest I couldn't translate that. Could you mark infixes, prefixes, & suffixes? Thanks. I should probably have mentioned I'm only 14.

Tìtstewan

As for the Na'vi text I used in my post above yours:
QuoteKaltxì ulte z<ol>a'u -prrte' -tseng, ma funìsfun8!
[Hello and welcome here, funìsfun8!]

P<iv>ängkxo -Na'vi Ko!
[Let's chat Na'vi]

Eywa nga-hu!
[Eywa with you!]
For more informations about the infixes, prefixes and suffixes take a look at this.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

funìsfun8

I didn't notice the first translations (The one that shows up when you hover on the text) because I'm on tapatalk. And I have no idea how I missed the translations the next time. But the good news is with the marked in/pre/suffixes I was able to translate the text. Thanks. :D

Tìtstewan

Kea tìkin - You're welcome :)

funìsfun8

Where would I post a question? I have no idea what "not conjugated for person" means.

Sent from my LG-LS855 using Tapatalk 2

Tìtstewan

Kamean

Kaltxì ulte zola'u nìprrte'! :)

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Alyara Arati

Kaltxì ngaru ulte zola'u nìprrte'!
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

funìsfun8

Hey, I was wondering if has compiled a list of all the conditions when you do or do not use the agentive, patientive, & dative suffixes. 'Irayo in advance.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk 2

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: funìsfun8 on November 07, 2013, 07:07:14 PM
Hey, I was wondering if has compiled a list of all the conditions when you do or do not use the agentive, patientive, & dative suffixes. 'Irayo in advance.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk 2

First of all, Kalthì ulte zola'u nìprrte' (You should know this by now!)

This a very good question, and there is no easy answer. However, it is pretty clear for simple sentences. If a verb you want to use is marked intransitive (vin.) in the dictionary, You will only have the subject, which is called the 'subjective' or 'nominative case', and is unique to Na'vi and just a handful or earth languages. You will not use the -(ì)l (agentive) or the -t(i) or-(i)t (patientive) in these sentences, although the other cases may be used where needed.  In simple sentences, this is always the case.

If a verb is marked transitive (vtr.) then in simple sentences, you use the agentive -(ì)l marking on the subject and the patientive -t(i) or-(i)t on the object. Where this gets tricky is when you have implied pronouns. This often results in sentences that have patients but not agents, or sometimes the other way around. If you see a sentence like this, try looking to see if adding a pronoun of some sort makes it make sense. You will see this more often in complex sentences

Another place which can trip up new users is when you have a modal verb in the sentence. A modal verb is a verb that 'controls' another verb, which immediately follows it in the sentence. They are marked in the dictionary with an 'm' in the part-of-speech. If there is a modal verb in the sentence, any requirement for a case marking does not 'pass over' the modal verb. They are easy to spot in context, as the 'controlled' verb takes the <iv> infix. A good example of this would be Nga tsun piveng ayfoti. Peng is transitive, thus ayfo gets the patientive -ti enfing, clearly identifying it as an object. But nga does not get a agentive case marking because it is on the 'other side' of the modal verb tsun, and there is no other reason for it to need one where it is.

There are a number of other special cases that cover the use of the agentive and patientive case endings, but they are something that you will learn in time. Although it is a dated document, NiAN will cover a lot of this stuff. But above all, don't let it overwhelm you. Learning a language well requires a substantial investment in time. And we are all here to help!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

funìsfun8

'Irayo 'eylan! I knew the basic rules, but the part about the modal verbs and implied pronouns I did not know. I was more looking for a list of the exceptions to the base rules. I did not know NIaN was dated. What should I do after reading that? Again, 'Irayo!

I'm on Tapatalk at the moment so I can't see some things.

Rotobull cz

Kaltxì ma mipa tsamsiyu.

Enjoying chemistry, physics, mathematics, ecotoxicology, environtology, ecology, neurology, physiology, anatomy, Na'vi, Latin, German, French, Biblical Hebrew.

Blue Elf

Hello and welcome!
Good to see new faces here. You can try Tirea Aean's simple grammar blog. It's very simple for beginners. Many good information you can find in Beginners forum. And if you do not find it - just ask there!
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)