Kaltxi?

Started by bristrek, September 04, 2011, 03:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bristrek

I know it isn't an 'i' but I'm not sure how to get the correct letter on a Brittish Mac.

My name is Neth or Bris, I'm from the UK and the product of an educational system that doesn't teach grammar beyond the few basics, and it's probably not even the basics for a linguist. So I don't really understand much when it comes to that. I have no idea how good I'll ever be at Na'vi - I had a few years of being taught German at school over a decade back but I was never as good at that as some people seem to be at Na'vi already. So I'm a bit scared thanks to that combo.

That said, I do think it'd be neat to learn Na'vi, and this seems to be a great place to do that.

Kaltxi, oe txoapu oe ke fnan Na'vi

I have no idea if hat made any sense and I'm sure I was thinking too English. But that's what the vocab search engine and 'taste of Na'vi Grammar' page gave me. And it still looks like gibberish but I hope it's at least slightly readable to you guys.
A socially awkward and linguistically challenged sci-fi geek having a go at learning a fictional language... should be fun.

Level: Right at the start basic beginner.

Kamean

Kaltxì ma tsmuk, zola'eiu nìprrte'! :)

There is Na'vi layout for Mac. ;)

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

bristrek

Quote from: Kamean on September 04, 2011, 04:39:59 PM
Kaltxì ma tsmuk, zola'eiu nìprrte'! :)

There is Na'vi layout for Mac. ;)

Ooo! Thanks! Not sure how I'd flip between the two easily but I'll look into it. In any case, I found the shortcuts at that may be easier.

Okay, in an attempt to translate this to English - Hello o sibling, welcome you with pleasure (and am glad to do so) right?

Do things like 'ei' or 'er' occure in Na'vi outiside of interfixes? And if so, how do you tell the difference?

And if you don't mind me asking, the dictionary says this:
nìprrte' [nɪ.ˈpṛ.tɛʔ] adv. Pleasurably, welcome (assumed zola'u), gladly, with pleasure

But zola'u I can't find on it's own so does it have to be used in this phrase? Welcome throws that entry up so is it that pairing of words that mean pleasant welcome if so would the 'ei' not be needed? Or does it just mean welcome without the 'ei'?
A socially awkward and linguistically challenged sci-fi geek having a go at learning a fictional language... should be fun.

Kamean

Za'u - come.
Z*ol*a'*ei*u
Ol -  perfective aspect verbal infix in position: Oe t*ol*ìran. I walked (finished
action).

And I advise you come to this stuff and read this language studying tips. If you want pick language easier, it's only one way - try to speak. And don't be afraid of errors and ask all that you don't understand. Everyone here will be glad to help you.

bristrek

Ooo, should have caught that ol bit. Wasn't aware sometimes more than one interfix went into one word but now I do and that's good. The advice about drawing up a sentance and messing around with bits of it and tenses and translating it (different phrasing) seems to be a good one. I like to have some theory to lean on but messing around and actually doing is always a good method of learning practical things.

Thanks!

Kamean

Download Na'vi in a Nutshell (on main page in Downloads section). It's simply and useful. :)

Quotesometimes more than one interfix went into one word
Ngaru tìyawr.

Dreamlight

Hello, and welcome to our fine forum.
http://www.reverbnation.com/inkubussukkubus
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

Syulang

Kaltxì ulte zola'u nìiprrte   :)
Oel ayngati kameie ma oeyä aysmukan sì aysmuke ulte Eywa ayngahu livu

munea kifkey, 'awa soaia

Human No More

Kaltxi! zola'u niprrte' :)
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Ikxeru

Kaltxì ulte zola'u nìprrte'.

Hmm, as a native German speaking person, I guess learing Na'vi could be far easier than learning German.  :-\
What might be a little bit trickier are the Na'vi sounds.

Anyway, I hope you have a lot of fun learning the language. Etrìpa Syayvi.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Everyone (including me) will help you here.

- ta Ikxeru
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

bommel

Kaltxì and welcome to the forum :)

Fwewyu Tìngayä

Kaltxì! Zola'u nìprrte'!

bristrek