Kaltxì

Started by Zeykoyu, February 25, 2012, 04:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeykoyu

Hello all!  I've had a strange temptation to learn Na'vi for about a year or so, and I've just now taken my first few steps to learning it.  In fair warning, I'm using Na'vi as a sort of "experiment" to see how I best learn languages, so I may do something strange or seemingly foolish things learn Na'vi- though I promise that I will try in earnest!  So far, I have been using a sort of "Language Learning Project" idea to learn, in addition to some homemade Anki decks.  My first project was to make a simple dialog and be able to say it aloud.  My next project is to make a sort of counting book that counts up to eight.  For more information about me or this method, PM me or respond to this thread! 

I hope that we will greatly help each other learn Na'vi soon!

PS: I hope that I correctly translated the word "healer" for my Username!  I took "zeyko" (to heal / fix) from the English to Na'vi dictionary provided by learnnavi.org and added the "-yu" suffix that I learned from the Na'vi in a Nutshell (also found learnnavi.org).

Kamean

Kaltxì ma ulte zola'eiu nìprrte'! :)

Check beginners stuff here and here - useful tips.
And be free ask all you need.

Eywa ngahu. :D
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Reykoveyzä te Werufalä Haflak'ite

Kaltxì ulte zola'u nìprrte, ma oeyä 'eylan amip - hello and welcome, my new friend  :)

I'm pretty sure Zeykoyu is right, though I'm not the best at Na'vi....yet ;D

I look forward to seeing you around - Eywa ngahu!
Irayo, ma frapo, ma oeyä smuke sì ma oeyä smukan.
Vivar 'ivong Na'vi! Eywa ayngahu!

*if i make a mistake in any of my Na'vi, please correct me :)

Stranger Come Knocking

I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Zeykoyu

Irayo frapo!  Thanks everyone!  I plan to have the counting book finished by this time next week, though it will be far from a professionally-made book that teaches people how to count in Na'vi. 

As for another question, how do I write that fancy red text that shows an English translation when I hover the cursor over it?

Stranger Come Knocking

[*desc=Hover text]Fancy red text[*/desc]

Just remove the *

Fancy red text
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Zeykoyu

Stranger Come Knocking

Kea tìkin ;)

Also, when you are addressing someone (*points to your "Irayo frapo"*) you need to use the vocative marker "ma".  Just lets the person know you're talking to them.  So it would be "Irayo, ma frapo."
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall

Zeykoyu

Quote from: Stranger Come Knocking on February 26, 2012, 01:45:47 PM
Kea tìkin ;)

Also, when you are addressing someone (*points to your "Irayo frapo"*) you need to use the vocative marker "ma".  Just lets the person know you're talking to them.  So it would be "Irayo, ma frapo."

Ohhhhhh... *adds this to his Anki deck*  So, if I were saying this to one person in particular, would I say "Irayo ma nga" or is there a different construction for that?  (or am I over-analyzing it?)

Stranger Come Knocking

Quote from: Zeykoyu on February 26, 2012, 04:36:19 PM
Quote from: Stranger Come Knocking on February 26, 2012, 01:45:47 PM
Kea tìkin ;)

Ohhhhhh... *adds this to his Anki deck*  So, if I were saying this to one person in particular, would I say "Irayo ma nga" or is there a different construction for that?  (or am I over-analyzing it?)
Irayo = Thank you
Irayo ma nga = Thank you, you

Irayo is kind of difficult because it is an interjection. o_o

Better example:

Ma Zeykoyu, what do you do for fun? <- I am addressing the question specifically to you.

Ma smukan!  Ma smuke!  Makto ko! <- I am addressing specifically "brothers" and "sisters".

Not ceremonial or anything, just one of those things. ;)
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall

Zeykoyu

I see!  Thank you so much!

Stranger Come Knocking

No worries.  Don't be afraid to ask questions.  We won't bite.  Hard. >:]
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall

Zeykoyu

Back again!  When I finish with my counting book, where should I post about it for critique and suggestions?

Alyara Arati

Welcome to the forum, ma Zeykoyu.  And, yes, that does mean "healer".  Nice choice! :D
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Zeykoyu

Quote from: Alyara Arati on February 28, 2012, 10:06:31 PM
Welcome to the forum, ma Zeykoyu.  And, yes, that does mean "healer".  Nice choice! :D

Yesssss!  My usual forum name "Person" translated as Tute was already taken and sounded... less mysterious / and "full" than what I wanted.  I'm glad I got my name right!  8)

Stranger Come Knocking

Quote from: Zeykoyu on February 28, 2012, 08:34:06 PM
Back again!  When I finish with my counting book, where should I post about it for critique and suggestions?
Usually General Projects/Resources is a good spot to start.
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall

Zeykoyu

Irayo!
I saw that section, but I didn't know if learning projects could go in there.  I hope to be posting soon!

Zeykoyu

Hey everyone, I just made a post on the aforementioned counting book.  Here it is:

http://forum.learnnavi.org/projects/counting-book/

Please be nice!