kaltxì

Started by hì'ia tuté, March 31, 2012, 03:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hì'ia tuté

kaltxì... I'm new here, sort of. I've been lurking around for a bit mostly because I couldn't think up a decent username (I wanted something Na'vi instead of my standard 'go-to' user names. lol)

I have been obsessed with Avatar since I first saw it and fascinated by the language. I've been trying to learn some words and phrases, but it's not easy to figure out the sounds easily by looking at the written words (I do better with mimicking languages if I can hear them).

As for my username, it wouldn't let me put in the apostrophes, but I decided on hì'i tuté mostly because the words I wanted to use don't exist in Na'vi and hì'i tuté is what I am: small woman. (I would probably come to a Na'vi person's knee. I'm 4'10") lol.

Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto)

Here is a growing dictionary.

Woman, by my understanding is (poe) man (poan)

Anyways. Welcome to the forum. There are multiple sources for learning the language. Tehre is a Paul Frommer blog called Navitiri.

It is good to have new faces here. We are not ALL about Na'vi and the language. If you feel like taking a breather, you can read and post in a multitude of threads from science to anime to posts about fanfics and RP's. This is a great place.

"He who destroys a good book kills reason itself." -John Milton

"Mathematics is the gate and key to the sciences." -Roger Bacon

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

hì'ia tuté

:) thanks. When I was looking up words (using the Na'vi/English dictionary on the home page here, the only word I could find that meant female/woman was tuté. lol.

I look forward to posting and having fun around here. :)

Well you are off to a great start. There are many many here who are fluent in the language, and many still that are learning. I am learning and have a karyu. It is a process, especially since I have never learned a second language so don't know the blueprints for learning properly LOL

hì'ia tuté

I tried learning Spanish when I was in high school but it never quite stuck with me, however I can read it somewhat still... And I am fluent in American Sign Language (not a spoken language but still a language).

I've always had an ear for languages. When I went to church camp (all girls) there were girls there whose parents were from a small island called Tonga (near Hawaii) and they would teach me how to say things (church related) in Tongan and they were always impressed with how quickly I could pick it up... I'm hoping it is the same with Na'vi since Na'vi is based on Polynesian languages.

btw, how do you do that thing you did with the word 'karyu'? I've noticed that and I think that's really neat.

In the reply, look for the image in a box that looks like clouds that a comic would speak in. highlight the word you want translated... click the cloud. Then once that is done, in the brackets on the left of the to be translated word. to the right of the equal = sigh, type the translation.

I am not a fan of any organized religion. If I had to choose a faith right now. If a gun were to my head, it would be Eywa, through and through.

Gradually you will learn how these forums work. My FB name is Toruk Makto Sezeyä if you want more information and a doorway into the FB community of Pandora :)

As you mouse or cursor over the little boxes above slowly, you will get a description of what each one does.

Now I go to bed, nearly 0500 here

hì'ia tuté

Kamean

Kaltxì ma hìi tuté ulte zola'eiu nìprrte'! :)

Check beginners stuff here and here - useful tips. Enjoy!
And be free ask all you need.

QuoteWoman, by my understanding is (poe) man (poan)
No, poe - she, poan - he. ;)
Your right name would be Hì'ia tuté or Tuté ahì'i, because Na'vi have free word  order.

Eywa ngahu. :D
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Very good job with the mouse over words with translation.

Thank you for that correction, ma Kamean.

Niwantaw

Only mostly AWOL.

Kamean

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on March 31, 2012, 04:19:37 PM
Very good job with the mouse over words with translation.

Thank you for that correction, ma Kamean.
Kea tìkin. :)

Human No More

"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Alyara Arati

Kaltxì, zola'eiu nìprrte', ulte sìltsana syayvi!
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Kamean

Quote from: Alyara Arati on April 02, 2012, 12:04:31 AM
[desc]sìltsana syayvi![/desc]
???
"Good luck!" on Na'vi is - Etrìpa syayvi!

Alyara Arati

Yeah, I thought of that in the middle of the night after I had gone to bed. :-[
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Kamean

Don't worry, all is OK. :D