Kaltxì frapo

Started by Tìsrusewä Karyu, April 30, 2011, 04:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tìsrusewä Karyu

Been lurking for a while, and now I'm taking the plunge. I am working on my national certification for ballroom dance instruction, hence my name "Dance Teacher". Please let me know if "Tìsrew Karyu" requires any correction.
Let me give two quick explanations. One, I am late to the party because I sustained a back injury just before the opening of the original theatrical release and could not sit three hours in a cinema seat. My first viewing was last November on cable, so I am definitely a newcomer. Two, I am an engineer by training, and am picking up ballroom dance instruction on the side. I am not translating Shakespeare or the Bible, and cannot claim any insight into the interesting aspects of linguistics. I do see many items in the film that are overlooked by the language. To extend the language in a more contemporary direction would mean adding words for cell phone, automobile, bathroom, Internet, city, country, road, highway, religion, and so on. That direction is for others to champion. When I get proficient, I may propose some of the hundred plus words inspired by the film I've identified so far that do not appear in the dictionary, even though the process appears very intimidating to one who is neither a linguist nor a language lawyer.
After I printed the excellent dictionary by Taronyu and others, I put the movie on and started looking up objects seen in the movie. Seems all Na'vi females wear necklaces of leather, beads, and feathers to cover their breasts. Sometimes an areola is visible, but movie magic keeps all nipples covered in all situations, even during flight. (Clearly, this was necessary for the film to avoid an R rating.) The Na'vi males have visible nipples, although usually subdued, and all Na'vi have visible navels. Much to my surprise, the dictionary does not define necklace, leather, bead, feather, breast, areola, nipple, or navel. Besides clothing and adornments, the language omits hair styles, hunting, and many other daily activities and items of the Na'vi.
Sorry, I have rambled on too long. I have a page of dialog with hunting terms that need Na'vi words created. Please let me know where in this forum I should make such a contribution.
Irayo
Please read and review my works at http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3185063/Tisrusewa_Karyu. Irayo

Lora Syulang

Kaltxì ma Tìsrew, I hope you enjoy it here. I am fairly new here but I spend more time on the words and learning resources
then actually here for now. There is MUCH stuff here to help you, people here are quick to answere any questions, and I wouldn't actually print out Taronyu's dictionary, it is updated way too much. I have for myself a shortcut on my desktop to save paper and ink.
Sure there are words lacking but this language is new and developing.
Have fun! ;)

Kamean

Kaltxì ma Tìsrew ulte zola'eiu nìprrte'! :)
I agree with Lora Syulang, dictionary updated regulary. Why don't have this words? Because Paul wants the language can be as comfortable as possible to use for daily communication and achieved great success.
Learning resourses... At first I advise you come to this stuff and read this language studying tips. If you want pick language easier, it's only one way - try to speak. And don't be afraid of errors and ask all that you don't understand. Every person on this forum helps you gladly. ;)
Eywa ngahu. :D   
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Tswusayona Tsamsiyu

so, kaltxì and welcome.
oel ngati kameie (you should know this one)
I hope you have a great time here learning this beautiful language.
about the words that don't exist, in the beginning they probably just created the words that will be needed for short dialogs in the movie. also, this language is developing quickly. we have the LEP project in which members propose new words which are being discussed and then sent to Paul for approval. we may have those words in the future.
Eywa ngahu frakrr ma 'eylan ;)

P.S. I'v sent you a personal message about your username.
Nivume Na'vit, fpivìl nìNa'vi, kivame na Na'vi.....
oer fko syaw tswusayona tsamsiyu

Alyara Arati

Kaltxì ulte zola'eiu nìprrte'!

It's always a pleasure to see new members on this wonderful forum!

I hope you become proficient quickly, and always keep your enthusiasm for the language!
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

bommel

Human No More

"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman