Kaltxi

Started by Valkyr, June 09, 2014, 08:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valkyr

Greetings to the people. I see you. Please I'm fairly new to learning the language. I have played with the idea of learning for some time now. I'd like to have friends I could learn from using TS3 client or skype. Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully to all my future friends that would/will be willing to help me!  :P

Kame Ayyo’koti

Kaltxì ma Valkyr! Zola'u nìprrte'!  :)

I haven't gotten into Skyping yet, but I know some people here have done it. In the meantime, if you want to listen to some spoken Na'vi, Karyu Pawl posts audio samples on his blog here: Na'viteri

Once the sequels come out, there'll probably be a lot more people around, and I'm sure you'll be able to find someone to chat with then. :)
"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

Valkyr

Well I'll take all the help I can get either audio or text doesn't matter to me. I'd lik to get the written language down too lol

Kame Ayyo’koti

There's definitely a lot more written material than audio/video! ;D A great place to begin is by reading stuff in the Beginner's section, especially this thread.

I just remembered, Karyu Pawl has done some video lessons. I haven't watched them, but they might be a good place to start. See his posts here and here.

As for practicing the language, there's lots of things you can do (have a look through the learning materials section). I would suggest the following:

• Download some spoken Na'vi audio and play it in the background, whether you listen to it or not. Just hearing it will help you more than you think!
  • For learning vocab and grammar, I've been experimenting to see what works for me. I've found these flash cards to be most helpful. You could also try regular vocab cards.
  • After you've figured out a thing or two, you could join us in the beginner's chat thread or start a new conversation nìNa'vi. We'll practice chatting with you and help you out at the same time. :)

The best advice I can give you is to try out lots of things and stick with what works for you. It's a bit like trying on shoes: You gotta find what feels right that you enjoy wearing. :P
"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

Kiyevame Ikran

Kaltxì ulte zola'u nìprrte'. Fì'u ayli'u tsun oe plltxe nì'aw.
Hello and welcome. These words are all I can say.

Hope I'm right.
Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random

Kame Ayyo’koti

Quote from: Kiyevame Ikran on June 11, 2014, 11:38:41 AM
Kaltxì ulte zola'u nìprrte'. Fayli'uti tsun oe pivlltxe nì'aw.

Hope I'm right.
Very close! ;)

Fì- sticks to the word you want to say "this" with, so for example: Fìlì'u
Ay+ is for plurals, which you know: Aylì'u
When we want to use both, we smoosh them together into fay+, like this: Faylì'u

When you use words like tsun, ask yourself, "What can I do?" Put an -iv- infix in that verb (at the 1st position) that you can do: Oe tsun pivlltxe.

And the last thing: When you "say something," you need to attach the right case ending to what you are saying. If you are saying faylì'u, you use «faylì'uti»:
Tsun oe pivlltxe faylì'uti.

I suggest looking for example sentences with words like tsun, new, kan, etc., to see how they change words. Also, have a look at the back of this dictionary. It lists the affixes like fay+ that you can use with words.

Tirea Aean

Kaltxì! Welcome!

It's true we have much more written material... Many people have crazy schedules or are shy or whatever so never really get the chance to get together much to speak vocally in real time. Using text and message boards solves all that. But I feel like a certain organic aspect of learning the language is lost. MUCH beauty is to be found speaking the Na'vi language, especially when done correctly. It's definitely worth a go to try out some speaking. I sadly never really speak Na'vi much anymore. Perhaps I should try to speak more.

I'm tireaaean on skype if anyone wants to chat or talk sometime.

Kiyevame Ikran

Quote from: Kame Ayyo'koti on June 11, 2014, 08:07:36 PM
Quote from: Kiyevame Ikran on June 11, 2014, 11:38:41 AM
Kaltxì ulte zola'u nìprrte'. Fayli'uti tsun oe pivlltxe nì'aw.

Hope I'm right.
Very close! ;)

Fì- sticks to the word you want to say "this" with, so for example: Fìlì'u
Ay+ is for plurals, which you know: Aylì'u
When we want to use both, we smoosh them together into fay+, like this: Faylì'u

When you use words like tsun, ask yourself, "What can I do?" Put an -iv- infix in that verb (at the 1st position) that you can do: Oe tsun pivlltxe.

And the last thing: When you "say something," you need to attach the right case ending to what you are saying. If you are saying faylì'u, you use «faylì'uti»:
Tsun oe pivlltxe faylì'uti.

I suggest looking for example sentences with words like tsun, new, kan, etc., to see how they change words. Also, have a look at the back of this dictionary. It lists the affixes like fay+ that you can use with words.

Thank you for the info. +1
Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random-Random