Kaltxì ma frapo!

Started by Ali'ìmalu, March 03, 2015, 05:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali'ìmalu

Hello Everyone!

Obviously, hi, I'm new.  :D 

Since it seems a good way to start off, I suppose I'll say why I want to learn Na'vi.  I wanted to learn it when the movie was released, but have never learned a second language and was quite intimidated by the prospect.  Thus it simply fell off to the side until recently when I started a gaming group with a handful of my friends.  It's a tabletop roleplay system, and long story short I'm outlining an interactive Pandora experience for them to explore and interact with a fanfic like universe.  Many of them wanted to know if their characters could speak Na'vi, and I challenged them saying that if they could speak it themselves, then yes, their characters could know it.  That left the 'problem' that I would also have to know the language so that I would be able to tell if they were bluffing or not.  And so, excuse at hand, I launched myself headfirst into the new endeavor.  I started out like I imagine most do, with many YouTube videos.  I'm an auditory learner, so that was easiest for me.  When I began exhausting what I could understand (Ftiafpi, if you're on here, your voice is now permanently in my head!), I began opening pdf's to learn grammar.  As of the moment, I'm studying Tirea Aean's lessons with Horen Lì'fyayä leNa'vi (A Reerence grammar of Na'vi) next on my list.  I just finished lesson six.  And I am beginning to add Na'vi words into my notes to help expand my vocabulary. 

I also have a Na'vi name that has followed with me since shortly after the movie was released.  I know it is not a direct translation of my name, but when I heard it I absolutely fell in love with it and have thus decided to keep it.  :D 

Oeru fko syaw Ali'ìmalu
I (with dative suffix) am called Ali'ìmalu

I did change the name slightly once I learned proper pronunciation of Na'vi vowels.  It was Ali'imalu.  I softened the second i to ì because I personally liked the flow better.

I think I am also driving myself crazy because I want to understand every part of every word of every sentence.  For instance, I am going to now to search through my lesson notes to see why fko syaw translates to am called. :-X

Tìlu

Kaltxì ma Ali'ìmalu! Zola'eiu nìprrte'! :D

I'm a fairly new learner to Na'vi as well still. If you haven't already I'd suggest go and check out the Beginners section of the forum.

Vawmataw

QuoteAnd I am beginning to add Na'vi words into my notes to help expand my vocabulary.
Kaltxì ulte zola'u nìprrte' ma Ali'ìmalu!

I see that you already started. That's great! Of course, take your time and try to write sentences in the beginner's board.

QuoteAs of the moment, I'm studying Tirea Aean's lessons with Horen Lì'fyayä leNa'vi (A Reference grammar of Na'vi) next on my list.
Tirea Aean is a good source. I wish he made more lessons, but he can be busy too.
As for the Horen, I hope you know a little bit of the technical vocabulary, because this is not Na'vi for dummies (btw, you're not dumb). ;)

QuoteFor instance, I am going to now to search through my lesson notes to see why fko syaw translates to am called.
fko syaw means 'one calls', not 'am called'. ;)

So, have fun here! :)
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tìtstewan

Kaltxì ulte zola'eiu nìprrte' ma Ali'ìmalu!

Just to avoid confusion:
Quote from: WildDreamer on March 03, 2015, 05:40:49 PM
Oeru fko syaw Ali'ìmalu
I (with dative suffix) am called Ali'ìmalu
[...]
my lesson notes to see why fko syaw translates to am called. :-X
The literal translation of that sentence is:

Oeru | fko | syaw | Ali'ìmalu.
To me | one | calls | Ali'ìmalu.
dative | subject | verb | your name

And as the basic rule of translation is: Translate the meaning, not the words
We usually translate Oeru fko syaw Ali'ìmalu as,
I am called Ali'ìmalu.
or simply,
I am Ali'ìmalu.
:)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

archaic

Any particular fanfic universe you plan to use?
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: WildDreamer on March 03, 2015, 05:40:49 PM
When I began exhausting what I could understand (Ftiafpi, if you're on here, your voice is now permanently in my head!)

Ahahahah, perfect. :D

I just started making some various Na'vi audio stuff. Once I get back into speaking Na'vi more I'll make some more of those.

Glad to see new learners on the forum. Hopefully you keep learning and we can all speak together. This tabletop game you have going sounds amazing. Please post any details about it on the forum if you get the chance.

Plumps

Kaltxì ma Yrra Uniltu :P

Welcome aboard. Your motivation sounds fascinating and it is indeed a good way to modivate yourself to keep at it.
I know it can seem overwhelming at times but don't worry, you're starting off with the right stuff. Step by step it will get easier and if you have questions just ask them here. We're all eager to help :D

Yeah, the auditory stuff reminds me... We should have more of these :-\

Ali'ìmalu

Bumping this old thread to let people know I'm back from my vanishing act.   :D  Hopefully I will find my courage and be able to become more active on the forums here and really start to interact with everyone!

Tirea Aean

Hi!  Welcome back! :D

I hope to see you around :)

Tìtstewan

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Ekirä

Quote from: Ali'ìmalu on August 25, 2015, 11:40:22 PM
Bumping this old thread to let people know I'm back from my vanishing act.   :D  Hopefully I will find my courage and be able to become more active on the forums here and really start to interact with everyone!

Zola'u nìprrte' nìmun! I'm also returning after being away for awhile to try to get back into the swing of lì'fya leNa'vi. It's always sad when you work hard at learning a language and start forgetting it. Nìsung, tstxori ngeyä pam fkan lor oeru nìngay. :)

The more you post, the easier it gets to stay active. As someone who also sometimes has trouble having the courage to post a lot, the spam section can help get you more familiar with the community. :D

Wllìm

Kaltxì ma Ali'ìmalu! Talking on TeamSpeak was fun; it's good to see you here as well! :D

Ali'ìmalu

I am far more active on TS than here, though again it's not as though I can actually speak in sentences or anything.   :-[  But always feel free to let me know if you'd like someone to talk to in there!   ;D

Toliman

Tolätxaw nìprrte' ma Ali'ìmalu  :)

Hahaw[hhvhhvcz]

Tolätxaw nìprrte' mì fìtsenge ma Ali'ìmalu! :D

Sunu oer fwa ngahu li poltxe oe mì ponguplltxe!
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)
  • Worth: $1551 ($396 with sales) (updated 17.3.16)
  • Games owned: 97
  • Games not played: 34 (35%)
  • Hours on record: 1,825.3h

Ali'ìmalu

Hehe, so, um, hi. I poofed again because life ate me, but I'm back again! *sucks at commitment apparently* I'm still determined though!

Tirea has succeeded in getting me to download Discord, so I will be stalking there and TS as well. :)

Eana Unil

Fìtseng nìteng new pivlltxe oe san tolätxaw nìprrte' :)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Ali'ìmalu on January 08, 2017, 09:16:06 PM
Hehe, so, um, hi. I poofed again because life ate me, but I'm back again! *sucks at commitment apparently* I'm still determined though!

Tirea has succeeded in getting me to download Discord, so I will be stalking there and TS as well. :)

Hello again you! Welcome back!

Tìtstewan

Toliman

Tolätxaw nìprrte' ma Ali'ìmalu  :)