New and Eager

Started by Adaria, January 16, 2011, 02:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adaria

Hello, everyone.

I just found this place a couple days ago when looking up gibberish as a language and found that there was an entire community dedicated to learning Na'vi. I downloaded the Na'vi in a nutshell guide and have been picking at it slowly. It makes it far more difficult to get the pronunciations correct, though, because I am blind and have to use a screen reader which pronounces things in their English ways rather than the Na'vi way. So, learning the words is going to be a pain more than usual, but shouldn't be as hard as speaking them, at least I should be able to type them right.

I attempted, then, to pick a proper Na'vi name for myself. Hopefully it isn't done incorrectly... I looked over things a handful of times to find the words I wanted and ended up with Kakrel Unilyu, which as far as I understand it means "blind dreamer" or at least I HOPE that's the proper way to do 'dreamer'. I used the dictionary in conjunction with the nutshell guide...

Anywho, I'm eager to learn Na'vi because I loved the Avatar film and idea of the Na'vi in general. Even if this can't be entirely useful for anything, I'm intrigued by it and hope to pick up on it quickly.

Just wanted to introduce myself, and hopefully this will be the beginning of something fun and exciting.

Oh, and the name may make it hard to tell if I'm a girl or guy, so I'll say it here, I'm a girl, twenty six years old at the moment and learning to cope and manage my new blindness that I have unfortunatedly had to get used to since August of last year.

Ok, enough of that...  until later.
~Adaria [Kakrela Uniltu - Name in Progress]

Le'eylan

Zola'eiu nìprrte', mipa numeyu!
(Very welcome, new learner)

Your name should be "Kakrela unilyu", :) It's a nice name!

I know you will have a good time learning the language, this is an amazing forum.
And if you've got any questions, just ask! :)
Krro krro pamrel seri fìtsengmì, alu oey pìlok leNa'vi
Sometimes writing here, on my Na'vi blog
=^● ⋏ ●^=

P.A.'li makto

Zola'u nìprrte', ma tsmuke!
QuoteEven if this can't be entirely useful for anything...
It IS useful, you'll notice that!  :)
Have fun!
:)

facebook: soaia leNa`vi

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Welcome to this friendly community! It's always great to welcome new learners, and you'll quickly realize that you've chosen the best place ever to learn the Na'vi language. ;) Hope you'll have fun with us! :D

I like the name of this thread, it makes it sound right away like you're very motivated! :) And as Le'eylan, I also think your name is quite awesome.

Adaria

Kakrela Unilyu, sounds like it has a slightly better ring to it. I guess that isn't too bad for a first attempt at combinig words. Too bad I can't change the username...

Ah well, I'm looking forward to this, I tink I might be a little slow at it, but who knows. It may come quicker than I think.

*snickers* We need a Rosetta Stone for Na'Vi... seriously though, I had a lot of success with it learning Japanese, when I could see to do it anyway.

I'm going to find a few people on skype, yahoo, etc. It will help to have some friends who can help me hear the proper pronunciations. But all in good time.

Thanks for the warm welcome so far and you know, I guess it can be useful, especially if you meet someone who may not speak any language in common except Na'vi.

Somewhere I saw we can get Na'vi on our Garmin Nuvi ... I need to see if the Nuvi mom and I have, same model, is compatible, hee hee.

Anywho, thanks again and will  pop in often. :)

EDIT: For some reason I keep spelling it "Krakela" Kinda like Kraken, grrr, I noticed I did this just a few minutes ago and in other places, not sure why I keep doing that, *shrug*

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Kakrel Unilyu on January 16, 2011, 05:06:51 PM
Krakela Unilyu, sounds like it has a slightly better ring to it. I guess that isn't too bad for a first attempt at combinig words. Too bad I can't change the username...

Ah well, I'm looking forward to this, I tink I might be a little slow at it, but who knows. It may come quicker than I think.

*snickers* We need a Rosetta Stone for Na'Vi... seriously though, I had a lot of success with it learning Japanese, when I could see to do it anyway.

I'm going to find a few people on skype, yahoo, etc. It will help to have some friends who can help me hear the proper pronunciations. But all in good time.

Thanks for the warm welcome so far and you know, I guess it can be useful, especially if you meet someone who may not speak any language in common except Na'vi.

Somewhere I saw we can get Na'vi on our Garmin Nuvi ... I need to see if the Nuvi mom and I have, same model, is compatible, hee hee.

Anywho, thanks again and will  pop in often. :)

Well you can change your display name from your profile page under account settings. Your name to login is either your registered email OR your original name tho.

we have at LEAST two Na'vi rosetta stone programs... why no one seems to know this, I  dont know. check out the Learn Na'vi projects boards. great learning materials and computer programs.

add me on skype: tireaaean (Baltimore MD USA)
Yahoo! tireaaean
AIM tireaaean
MSN Messenger [email protected]
ICQ    608035304
Follow on Twitter @TireaAean
on Facebook at facebook.com/tirea
Now on Myspace at myspace.com/tireaaean
and there's more, but meh... yeah... I'm quite publically available. ;)

Na'vi is an AWESOME language of WIN and its not too hard to learn either. plus it is a lot of fun. A big welcome to you, New and Eager Numeyu. ;D

Kemaweyan

Kaltxì, ma tsmuke, ulte zola'u nìprrte'! Oel ngati kameie ulte seiyi ngaru irayo furia nga zola'u awngane. Fì'u oer frakrr prrte' lu nìtxan, mipa suteri a za'u ulte new nivume fìlì'fyati atxantsan oe frakrr 'efu nitram :) Ulte na poltxe srekrr eylan awngeyä, ayoe nìwotx frakrr srung sìyevi ngar, txo lu ngar fìtìkin.

Tstxori ngeyä ke mllte oe. Nìawnomum, horenìrì lì'fyayä leNa'vi tsun fko sivar fì'ut alu -yu hu hemlì'u nì'aw, ki lì'u alu unil lu tstxolì'u. Ha ke tsun fko sivar tsat. Fpìl oel futa zene fko sivar lahea 'ut alu -tu fìtsege. Tì'efumì oeyä tsaw zene livu Kakrela Uniltu :)

Irayo nìtxan, ma tsmuke. Rutxe rä'ä ftivang ftivia ulte nìsìlpey ye'rìn tsìyevun awnga pivängkxo nì'Na'vi nì'aw. 'Ivong Na'vi!

Hi, sister, and welcome! I See you and thank for that you came to us. It's pleasurable to me and I'm happy that new people came here and want to learn this beautiful language :) And as our friends said before, we all always would help you if you need it.

As for you name, I am not agree. As we know, under the rules of Na'vi language we can use -yu with verbs only, but the word unil is a noun. So we can't use it. I think we should use other thing here - -tu. In my opinion your name should be Kakrela Uniltu :)

Thanks, sister. Please don't stop to study and I hope soon we could converse in Na'vi only. Let Na'vi bloom!
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Kemaweyan on January 16, 2011, 08:32:05 PM
Tstxori ngeyä ke mllte oe. Nìawnomum, horenìrì lì'fyayä leNa'vi tsun fko sivar fì'ut alu -yu hu hemlì'u nì'aw, ki lì'u alu unil lu tstxolì'u. Ha ke tsun fko sivar tsat. Fpìl oel futa zene fko sivar lahea 'ut alu -tu fìtsege. Tì'efumì oeyä tsaw zene livu Kakrela Uniltu :)

As for you name, I am not agree. As we know, under the rules of Na'vi language we can use -yu with verbs only, but the word unil is a noun. So we can't use it. I think we should use other thing here - -tu. In my opinion your name should be Kakrela Uniltu :)

That's also what I thought, but since no one mentioned it before me I thought my idea might have been wrong! :P No worries, this kind of mistake is natural when one begins with the language. Besides, your attempt to create a Na'vi name is in itself already very good. :) If ever you feel you have difficulties with suffixes (like -yu and -tu) and with prefixes, I suggest you note the ones that you encounter in a document. :) I believe it is a very good trick, because it helps keeping the matter clearer and easier. Furthermore, this kind of summary document/page has already been done by one of our members for infixes (added in the middle of verbs to precise the tense or the mood). You can take a look at it here. For overall confusion on the terms I have just mentioned or concerning their general use, you can visit this thread. :)

Sorry if this was a bit too academical for an introduction thread; my only aim with this was to give you resources to help you clarifying the little mistake you did in your name. :) Hope it didn't scare you off! Anyway, if you've got any questions never hesitate to ask! :D

bommel

Kaltxì and welcome to the forum!

Adaria

No, no one has scared me off just yet and I understand the mistake now. What I had done was look up dream walker to find the word for dream, and I see now I added -yu incorrectly as dream isn't a verb, though I've been thinking of that. A dream can be a thing, a noun, but how can we turn it into a verb or action? Dreaming wouldn't be a noun, but a verb, correct? [I never have been good with grammar and the like anyway... so it's abit of a trick.]

But then it wouldn't make much sense to be called 'blind dreaming'  I'll go change my display name for now until I can get the bugs worked out...

I did have a question regarding the change to Kakrel, I know Kakrel is blind but why the addition of the a? Going to assume it has to do with the male/female aspect or well making it one or the other. I'm still working on properly pronouncing the alphabet as a start and I really need to pick up the linguistic guide... I feel like I'm in Composition in college again... Almost wish I could read my Bedford Handbook [big happy guide of grammar and linguistic rules].

Loved the youtube pronunciation videos and hope more vids show up soon. Found the TS server but found it woefully empty of people, though it is the middle of the working day.

Any who. I appreciate the help and the challenge this brings to mind. I have very little else to do at the moment. Off to edit my display name more than likely to my more common nickname, Adaria. I want to fully understand my mistake in my creation of my name before I begin to use it.

Thanks again and the Rosetta Stone Na'vi bit sounds cool. Maybe more will be listed on the download section one of these days, I haven't gotten far into the forums yet...

Anyone feel free to add me to Yahoo, my id is skr84, I don't use MSN but I can still chat with you through MSN and Yahoo. My skype ID is blindbat84 so feel free to add me tehre too please.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Adaria on January 17, 2011, 02:07:56 PM
No, no one has scared me off just yet and I understand the mistake now. What I had done was look up dream walker to find the word for dream, and I see now I added -yu incorrectly as dream isn't a verb, though I've been thinking of that. A dream can be a thing, a noun, but how can we turn it into a verb or action? Dreaming wouldn't be a noun, but a verb, correct? [I never have been good with grammar and the like anyway... so it's abit of a trick.]

But then it wouldn't make much sense to be called 'blind dreaming'  I'll go change my display name for now until I can get the bugs worked out...

Very good! :D

Well, although I'm not an expert I would say that uniltu would really be the best way to express what you want to say, because it simply defines a person doing the action of the noun. :) If you had wanted to make the verb to dream into and ing from (so basically dreaming), you'd have to employ tì- (prefix) + <us> (verb infix). But since such a verb doesn't even exist, it would be too much trouble. You could perhaps create it (if it's possible at all), but then it would probably get too complicated and there might be mistakes or 'illegalities' in the final product. Besides, as you pointed out, 'bling dreaming' would perhaps be a bit awkward.

Quote from: Adaria on January 17, 2011, 02:07:56 PMI did have a question regarding the change to Kakrel, I know Kakrel is blind but why the addition of the a? Going to assume it has to do with the male/female aspect or well making it one or the other. I'm still working on properly pronouncing the alphabet as a start and I really need to pick up the linguistic guide... I feel like I'm in Composition in college again... Almost wish I could read my Bedford Handbook [big happy guide of grammar and linguistic rules].

An -a has been added to kakrel because it is the way to indicate an adjective. :) It must always be attached to the adjective, but since the word order is free you could choose to say either kakrela uniltu or uniltu akakrel.

Hope it could help you a bit. :) Now if anyone sees mistakes in what I said, please tell me! :D

Le'eylan

Adaria is a very beautiful name :)

I got ninja'd. Well well, I'll leave my words in this post anyway :P

The -a- on kakrel is used to combine adjectives and nouns. It can be put on either side of the adjective, but must be pointing at the noun. So "kakrela unilyu" is just as correct as "unilyu akakrel".

Another example can be "ftxìlora fkxen" or "fkxen aftxìlor" - meaning delicious vegetable :D
Krro krro pamrel seri fìtsengmì, alu oey pìlok leNa'vi
Sometimes writing here, on my Na'vi blog
=^● ⋏ ●^=

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on January 17, 2011, 02:35:08 PM
because it is the way to indicate an adjective. :) It must always be attached to the adjective

I dont like that. it is ONLY for ATTRIBUTIVE adjectives. as in "The ADJ-a Noun Verbs." or "The Noun a-ADJ Verbs." you do NOT use -a- when saying stuff like "the Noun lu adj" or any word order thereof.

Telling people that you ALWAYS use that -a- on EVERY adjective EVERYTIME causes confusion later on.

Yayo

It is a recurring problem.

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 17, 2011, 02:57:33 PM
Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on January 17, 2011, 02:35:08 PM
because it is the way to indicate an adjective. :) It must always be attached to the adjective

I dont like that. it is ONLY for ATTRIBUTIVE adjectives. as in "The ADJ-a Noun Verbs." or "The Noun a-ADJ Verbs." you do NOT use -a- when saying stuff like "the Noun lu adj" or any word order thereof.

Telling people that you ALWAYS use that -a- on EVERY adjective EVERYTIME causes confusion later on.

Oh, true! :o Oeru txoa livu, I hadn't thought about that. Thanks for the clarification ma Tirea, in the future I shall use a clearer formulation. :) So how would you personally summarize the function of a in this particular case?

Yayo

Used when describing nouns (ADJ-Noun or Noun-ADJ).

But you asked Tirea!

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

Tirea Aean

it is the -a- of attribution.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Okay! Irayo to you two. :) It makes sense! :D