Trr lefpom.

Started by Eywayä Tsamsiyu, February 05, 2012, 06:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eejmensenikbenhet

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on February 09, 2012, 04:15:54 PM
I would suggest you to try listening to the way the Na'vi (especially Neytiri and Eytukan) pronounce in the film. [...]
I'm not so sure about that. ;D :P

Maybe you can listen to Karyu Pawl for some help in pronunciation... If only I knew where you can find all those recordings I have downloaded long time ago.

Tsmuktengan

Well, this is what I have done and it has helped me getting most ways of pronouncing Na'vi naturally. K Pawl tends to over-exagerate a language's pronunciation to make it very intelligible, but not necessarily natural. Personal opinion... And the way the actors pronounce is not bad at all (okay, I can sometime blame a tiny english accent in some sentences, but it took me some time before spotting them).  :P

Stranger Come Knocking

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on February 09, 2012, 05:38:30 PM
Well, this is what I have done and it has helped me getting most ways of pronouncing Na'vi naturally. K Pawl tends to over-exagerate a language's pronunciation to make it very intelligible, but not necessarily natural. Personal opinion... And the way the actors pronounce is not bad at all (okay, I can sometime blame a tiny english accent in some sentences, but it took me some time before spotting them).  :P
Seeing as no one on Earth is a native speaker, I think it would be neat to have accents.  I'm a fan of accents. :D I am particularly proud of my American English and British English mutilations (though I have lessened them into a more pleasant accent than beginner's mumbling).
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Tsmuktengan

Yes it is. Noticing some accents and having no default pronunciation only makes this language more enjoyable by noticing the diversity of people. This is why I am also basing myself with the Na'vi French pronunciation, and try to roll the 'r' a little bit less (although I find this hard, I am torn between three different accents). :P

Eywayä Tsamsiyu

I've finally had some success with rolling my r's. When it comes to saying a word with rolled r's in it, however, I can't do it. Is it possible for you to not roll your r's and still have people understand you in Na'vi? Well, until I can get the rolled r's when I actually say a word, that is. ???
Tìng mikyun ayoheru rutxe, ma nawma sa'nok. Poeri tireati, munge mì nga, ulte tìng ayoer i'awn ngeyäyä. Tivìran poe ayoeng kip na na'viyä hapxì ko.

Tsmuktengan

Quote from: Eywayä Tsamsiyu on February 10, 2012, 03:49:04 PM
I've finally had some success with rolling my r's. When it comes to saying a word with rolled r's in it, however, I can't do it. Is it possible for you to not roll your r's and still have people understand you in Na'vi? Well, until I can get the rolled r's when I actually say a word, that is. ???

Yes, we can still understand quite well as long as you pronounce properly the vowels.

Eywayä Tsamsiyu

That's a relief, I'll probably sound like a dummy, though. I'll continue to practice words with the rolled r's in them to get better at them.  ;D
Tìng mikyun ayoheru rutxe, ma nawma sa'nok. Poeri tireati, munge mì nga, ulte tìng ayoer i'awn ngeyäyä. Tivìran poe ayoeng kip na na'viyä hapxì ko.

Tsmuktengan

Quote from: Eywayä Tsamsiyu on February 10, 2012, 07:03:32 PM
That's a relief, I'll probably sound like a dummy, though. I'll continue to practice words with the rolled r's in them to get better at them.  ;D

Once again, there is no default Na'vi accent. This means that we all pronounce in a slightly different way according to our native pronunciations. So there isn't any issue. It would be just like comparing the various english accents there are : american, british, scotish or australian english. These are various local ways of pronouncing depending on local factors. It is exactly the same for Na'vi except it follows a same standard for all continents. ;)

Someone who has a good knowledge of the language can participate in it's development using the "Na'vi Language Development - Lexical Expansion Project" (LEP) section of the forum, where proposals can be done anonymously, usually for vocabulary words.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

One way to learn to roll 'r's is to get very frustrated or angry. Try hitting your finger with a hammer. Then repeat over and over a word like vrrtep. Depending on you anger, pain and frustration level, you will eventually roll your r's properly  ;)

Yes, this worked for me

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Eywayä Tsamsiyu

Ma 'Eylan Ayfalulukanä, that sounds incredibly painful! :o

Human No More

Kaltxi! :)

Quote from: Eywayä Tsamsiyu on February 05, 2012, 06:50:25 PM
Back when AVATAR came out (I can't believe it's been that long), I got to see it in 3D at the movie theater. I sat in the front row, right in the middle, so that every effect they had put in the movie would be right in front of me. It took me away to a world that I've always dreamed about. I bawled like a baby with the rest of the emotional people in the movie theater when Hometree collapsed and when the war was taking place and it showed everyone being killed.
...oel ngati kameie :'(

On a slightly related note (although I myself have no interest in the real life Na'vi clan since my interest is in a Na'vi body :P) I'm -2.25 too in one eye, I find it hard without anything but not impossible and I really do doubt they would not allow you to have glasses/lenses (and indeed, there's always laser if you really wanted to go down a permanent solution route; myself, I'm waiting until it's more mature and affordable).

QuoteLook at all of that text I put up there. I must be one of those Avatards that everyone talked about when the movie first came out. There's nothing wrong with that, though, is there? I'm a compassionate person about the environment and the natives that occupy it, is that so horrible and wrong? I didn't think so. As long as I can be an Avatard with everyone else on this site, then we're cool.  ;D
Nothing wrong with that at all, but be careful with the term 'Avatard' - that's a bit demeaning to many people, like calling a Trekker a Trekkie ;)
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman