Tswal-a tsmukan

Started by MasterEro, December 27, 2009, 04:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterEro

Kaltxì, tsmukan ulte tsmuke! Oel lu syawti Eric,ulte oel lu skawng hu Na'vi.
    Hello,   brothers and sisters. I-ERG be called-ACC Eric, and I-ERG be moron-ACC with Na'vi
Hi brothers and sisters, my name is Eric, and I am a moron when it comes to Na'vi.

Im not even sure thats right. This is my first day really trying to sit down and complete a sentence, but I just wanted to say hi to everyone. I will probably be pretty active around here, but I tend to lurk and not post. Learning this language will be an adventure I will enjoy sharing with you all.

Feel free to correct the sentence, I doubt Its correct. =)

tute nuereime

it should be spelled out as
Kaltxì, tsmukan si tsmuke! Oel syaw Ericti,ulte oe skawng hu Na'vi.
though shawnghu na'vi would also be correct.
the ulte is the wrong form of and in the brothers and sisters part.
you can get rid of the "lu" for efficency
the -ti goes on the second noun not the verb. the -l goes on the main noun which you did.
and you dont need the -l in the last part because you have no -ti
write me another sentence and lets see if you got it
kaltxì peng oeru fra'uya niNa'Vi

dotster

Also, you forgot to pluralize brother and sister. You pluralize by adding the prefix ay-, which causes lenition in this case because they both start with "ts". "Ts" softens to "s" and because the word was changed due to lenition you may choose to drop the plural prefix (ay-) if you would like. So brothers and sisters would be: "smukan ulte smuke" (with the prefix dropped) or "aysmukan ulte aysmuke".

Welcome aboard MasterEro!

tute nuereime

MasterEro

Oel rä'ä kame pxel Na'viti. Oe lu 'eveng, slä fi'u ayli'u oeyä.
I-ERG do not see like/as Na'vi-ACC. I be child, but this words me-GEN
I do not see like The People. I am a child, but these words are mine.

Im starting to become a bit more comfortable with the placement of my -I and -ti. I could use a little help as to knowing when to use -ri and distiguishing the situations from -I.

Irayo aysmukan!

And you guys can call me Eric, or Ero. Dun care =)

Ikran

Kaltxì, ma MasterEro,

let me try to correct your sentence as an exercise:

tsmukan ulte tsmuke! --> as it's been pointed out, it should be smukan sì smuke. Don't forget lenition!. ulte is only used to join clauses. With nouns, must be used instead.

Oel lu syawti Eric: well, this sentence is incorrect, but it's difficult to translate it since we don't know a lot of things about Na'Vi grammar at this point. A correct version could be "they call me Eric", ayfol syaw oeti Eric (they+ERG call I+ACC), but we (well, I) don't know if syaw is used with accusative. Other version (better, I think) could be Oeri ayfol syaw Eric (I+TOPIC they+ERG call Eric). Of course, you just can say Oe Eric lu. (not Oel, because you don't use ergative suffix -l with an intransitive verb).

ulte oel lu skawng hu Na'vi: I'd say ulte Na'Vi-ri skxawng lu (and Na'Vi+TOP moron be).

So we could sum this up as:

Kaltxì, smukan sì smuke! Ayfol syaw oeti Eric ulte Na'Vi-ri skxawng lu.

Comments?

Ikran

Quote from: MasterEro on December 27, 2009, 05:28:07 PM
Oel rä'ä kame pxel Na'viti. Oe lu 'eveng, slä fi'u ayli'u oeyä.
I-ERG do not see like/as Na'vi-ACC. I be child, but this words me-GEN
I do not see like The People. I am a child, but these words are mine.

Kaltxì!

Oel rä'ä kame pxel Na'viti. I'm not sure if we should use accusative here. I've seen some examples of sentences with prepositions and the accusative is not used anywhere (Oeri ta peyä fahew...).

Oe lu 'eveng, slä fi'u ayli'u oeyä: I'd rephrase it as Oe lu 'eveng, slä faylì'u oeyä lu, with fay- meaning 'these'.

Eywa ngahu.

tute nuereime

Quote from: Ikran on December 27, 2009, 05:59:37 PM
but we (well, I) don't know if syaw is used with accusative.
from what i read about -ti, it can only be used with a noun so syaw (call) cant have a -ti
and to keep the same word order set up it could be
Oe lu 'eveng, slä faylì'u lu oeyä
or
Oe 'eveng lu, slä faylì'u oeyä lu

MOUNTAINBANSHEE

Quote from: MasterEro on December 27, 2009, 04:30:15 PM
Kaltxì, tsmukan ulte tsmuke! Oel lu syawti Eric,ulte oel lu skawng hu Na'vi.
    Hello,   brothers and sisters. I-ERG be called-ACC Eric, and I-ERG be moron-ACC with Na'vi
Hi brothers and sisters, my name is Eric, and I am a moron when it comes to Na'vi.

Im not even sure thats right. This is my first day really trying to sit down and complete a sentence, but I just wanted to say hi to everyone. I will probably be pretty active around here, but I tend to lurk and not post. Learning this language will be an adventure I will enjoy sharing with you all.

Feel free to correct the sentence, I doubt Its correct. =)

Skawng is actully spelt Skxawng
join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

Brainiac

Well, that was the special grammar lesson, free with every subscription. I suggest you go check on the rest of the forum. Remember, the mountain can't always come to the prophet.  ;D
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.