What languages does everyone speak?

Started by Ki_Lin_7, January 08, 2010, 12:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omatikaya'itan

I can speak German, Spanish and english. but mostly i use english

ianonavy

American English - Fluent; Native tongue
Russian - A phrase or two; First attempt at learning a language when I was 12
Spanish - Semi-fluent speaking, adequate writing; 3 semesters of high school classes (so far) and occasional conversation over the Internet
Japanese - Basic grammar rules, a few kanji, hiragana and katakana; Self-study
Tagalog - Don't have a clue; My parents' native tongue
Esperanto - Very rusty, don't know enough roots; An Internet course
American Sign Language - The alphabet and a few signs; Watching videos with my baby cousin
French - "Where is the bathroom?" "I love you" "My name is Ian" "I like the library"; The One Semester of French Love Song - YouTube
Latin - A few phrases and hymns; Church
Vietnamese - A few church songs, and how to greet a priest; Church
Na'vi - A few phrases, pronunciation; This website

I have put the most effort into learning a new language in Spanish, Japanese, and Na'vi in that order.

Fkeu Ketuwong

Native
Manx Gaelick- I forgot most of it, it's a dead language anyway.

First language
British

Learning
French - Medium
Spanish - Medium
Na'vi - Beginner

Wanting to learn
Mandairin
Japanese
Latin
Greek
Welsh
Eywa ngahu

lang408

LOL Thai is purely self-study. It's sufficiently different from Navi in both sound and script (ไทย).

Quote from: Étienne on January 21, 2010, 04:17:10 AM
Quote from: lang408 on January 21, 2010, 12:44:56 AM
NATIVE:
American English

LEARNING:
Thai -- extremely beginner. Hopefully Na'vi's easier.

NA'VI & NATURAL LANG AT THE SAME TIME?
Na'vi will not only be my first conlang, it may be my next language target. Anyone try studying Na'vi and a human language simultaneously? With 2+ human languages, they say it's a bad idea (till your advanced).

It's only a bad idea if you start confusing the words with others during an exam. Then that's purely your fault and we didn't do it.
Eywa ngahu

Ptxèrra

dutch is my own language, also english, i am raised bilingual :P
also a bit german (trade competent), and i do speak more navi than french.
Oel ayngati kameie i was there

remember power corrups, absolute power..... is a whole lot of fun.
Sheepies: They just eat grass until something kills them,  it might as well be you!!

Nayteeri

Hi all  :)

I can speak english, czech, slovak, very little polish and have basics of swedish.

Yeah, I do wanna study up Na'Vi as well  8)

Oel ngati kameie :D
Eywa ngahu! :D

RyleVao

Oh, boy, where to start....
Ok, here it goes:
Gaelic
French
German (just a bit)
Setswana (native language of Botswana, Africa)
Japanese (can't write well in it yet, but hey...)
Italian
Latin
and English.  I dare you to guess which one is my native language.
You are like a Baby!  Making noise, don't know what to do!
-Neytiri

Eltungawng

English- home language (originally American English, but picking up British-isms quickly)
French- learning in school, slow going
German- learning whenever, surprisingly easy
Na'vi- learning as I'm teaching my best friend
Klingon- one insult
Spanish- some foods, colors, numbers
Portugese- some foods, days of week, months, greetings
other languages- greetings

Unless you accept music as a language, nothing else. I'm learning the Bass Clef dialect as of right now.
Skxawng- moron
Tireaioang- spirit animal
Eltungawng- brainworm
Do these describe me? Yes.

mO_Tan

Quote from: RyleVao on January 22, 2010, 08:33:24 PM
Oh, boy, where to start....
Ok, here it goes:
Gaelic
French
German (just a bit)
Setswana (native language of Botswana, Africa)
Japanese (can't write well in it yet, but hey...)
Italian
Latin
and English.  I dare you to guess which one is my native language.

GAELIC!! its on my list of top 5 languages to learn! but im so preoccupied learning German and Na'vi, its kinda impossible (for me)
"Guys, come on. Whats wrong with this picture? Wheres my cigerette?"

Yanari

My native language is Czech. I can speak English quite well (better than most of people I know personally, they tell me that I am quite good - well, I don't think so, 'cos I learned almost everything from computer games ^^), I am forced to learn German @school (I detest that language. Srsly, (I don't want to offend anyone, so anyone from Germany - or anyone who like German language, don't take it personally ^^) I don't like things I'm forced to do, but this is exceptional.) I am able to communicate in Polish (although very roughly) - I understand what other people are saying, but I cannot speak at all. And the last language I am able to speak is Slovak - well, I didn't learn it actively, but I'm playing WoW on czech/slovak free server and these two languages are very similar, so I picked up the basics very quickly and I am able to speak quite well.
And recently, I began learning Na'vi, although I don't really have an idea where i might use it - I'm learning it because of large amount of free time (I don't have anything else to do ^^) and I am amazed how the language sounds when spoken.
Zene fko nivume nìtxan.

Raltaw

English (very fluent)
Lebanese (I'm Lebanese  ;D)

Txur Angtsík

I am fluent in Spanish and English, and I am currently studying Japanese and Na'Vi!

Fyawìntxu

kaltxì ma smukan!

-French (birth tongue)
-English (learnt at school and practiced a lot out of school, normal conversation)
-Spanish (learnt at school and practiced a lot out of school, normal conversation)
-Patoi (traditional language spoken here even before French were invented) (familiar expressions, I can understand, but can't really express myself)
-Chinese (very basic, beijin accent, simple conversation, but still can't read)
-Thai (better level than in Chinese, but not able to have a completly normal conversation, can read but not write)
-Japanese (about the same level as in Chinese, maybe little better I can read an write Kanas, but very few Kanjis only for now, around 50maybe)
-Italian (I understand it, and can have a simple conversation)
-Portuguese (I can get parts of conversations, but can't answer, fews words)
-German (very simple conversation only)
-Swahili (around Kenya area)(few words, usual sentences)
-Russian (few words, usual sentences, I can read and write)
-Arabic (few words, Maroco and Tunisia way, usual expressions, I can't read and write)
-Libanese (few words, usual sentences)
-Hindi (few words, I can't really read and I can't write)

-Na'vi!!!(few words for now, working or grammar, vocabulary and prononciation)

Eywa ayngahu ma smuk, ulte kìyevame.

Fyawìntxu
Eywa ayngahu ma smuk!

Lance R. Casey

Here're my lists, ordered by date of inception:

Natlangs

Swedish
Native, capable of advanced and/or formal-/archaic-sounding renderings.

Norwegian
Can understand most dialects in conversation and print. Could probably fool most Swedes with intonation patterns and a range of language-specific words, but Norwegians would see through it at once. Vehemently favors bokmål over nynorsk.

Danish
Usually no problem understanding it when written, but when spoken it comes down to the enunciation of the speaker. Can't speak it.

English
Advanced level stemming from longtime daily use, both reading, writing and hearing. Need time to "warm up" when it comes to oral fluency, due to lack of practice.

French
Know most (but not all) grammar, but my vocabulary is severely lacking. More proficient in reading than writing, not to mention speaking or hearing, but when put to the test the latter often function well enough to get by. Can parse most news articles and the like without much hassle.

Russian
Can read, write and pronounce Cyrillic. Know a bit of grammar (such as a few basic verb paradigms) and a smallish set of words. When it comes to practical use it's mostly at the "Where's the train station?" level.

North Sámi
Fairly good grasp of the phonology and morphology as well as many common grammatical features, but with a very small vocabulary. Can't speak it much, although the pronunciation per se is for the most part within my power.

Lule Sámi
Similar to the above as the sound system is largely the same, but at a somewhat lower level across the board.

Conlangs

Klingon
Highly proficient. Knows the grammar (almost) in and out with a fairly large vocabulary. Can write and speak rather well, but hearing is more difficult simply because I don't get the chance much. Can read texts at moderate speed, usually without the help of a dictionary, but sometimes I get stumped. Can read and write pIqaD, although not very quickly.

Sindarin
Know much of the grammar, phonology and morphology, but not that many words; more interested in the diachronic processes Tolkien built into his languages (and the synchronic mechanisms arising from them). Therefore, can't really use it much, but can often parse the attempts of others, albeit with some lookups. Can read and write Tengwar in classic mode and mode of Beleriand.

Quenya
Similar to the above + Quenya mode of Tengwar.

Khuzdul
Basically know what there is to know, which isn't much to begin with.

Na'vi
Know about as much as anyone else at this point when it comes to the inner workings of the language. Small but growing vocabulary.

...plus some bits, pieces and nibbles of a bunch of other tongues and writing systems.

And no, I am not a linguist, except perhaps at heart. ;)
All my expertise, such as it is, in this field and that of phonetics comes from a strong personal interest, and a general feel for languages in general.

// Lance R. Casey

Sreuyu Nìftxavang

Kaltxi!! oel ayngati kameie.

I feel kinda little when comparing how many languages I speak with the others.
:-\
-Spanish
-English
-Some portuguese
-A bit of French
-Most recently, Irayo ma tsmuktu, thanks to all who helped me, Na'vi

Kiyévame, ulte Eywa ngahu!!! :D
Eywal fiyawintxu peyfa oet sreu.

Oel neu Ikranti!!!

Irayo aynga ma karyu, Eywa ngahu!

Emtokay

English
German
i can understand and read a little bit of Russian, Japanese and Arabic

soon to add to the list is Na'vi
If Nothing In This World Can Change Our Children Will Inherit Nothing

Lrrtoksì nìhawng

Kaltxì!

I learned English and Hawai'ian at the same time when I was little but the Hawai'ian got stale after I moved to the mainland. I also know a fair amount of Japanese but I understand better than I speak. I've noticed a lot of Hawai'ian words popping up in Na'vi though, and I'm kind of interested in going back and dusting it off, even though I have to call my grandma to have a conversation in it. Oe=you in Hawai'ian and that messes with my brain in all kinds of ways.
Eywa hangham fa aysyulang.

kailaunil

Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Txantslusam Skxawng

I'm Dutch  ;)
-So my native language is Dutch
-I also speak pretty fluent english ( because i played a lot videogames in english, in class i understand things way more better then rest because of voilent videogames, but i only an hour or sometimes 2 a day)
- German ( at school )
- French ( stopped with it at school after 2 years, too difficult for me :-*)
- Na'vi ( just started, i only know 2 sentences so far: Kaltxì ma tsmukan. Oel ngatie kameie.

Not alot but its something.
Is there any other Dutchman in here? ???
( Or am I the only one )  ;D
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

kailaunil

Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)