A new participle infix: ‹awn›

Started by wm.annis, March 12, 2010, 06:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wm.annis

In an email discussion about vocabulary matters, Karyu Pawl said this of someone's words — Aylì'u apawnlltxe nìltsan!.  It took me a few seconds to realize what I was seeing.  Then I asked for confirmation.  Was there really an object adjective (aka passive participle) infix? 

Quote from: Karyu Pawl-us- and -awn- are parallel infixes--active and passive participles respectively.

ioang apuslltxe
lì'fya apawnlltxe

omängum fra'uti

Txantsan!  Leru tsaw nawnew!
(Yeah I know it's a bit awkward of a sentence because it's contrived to use awn.)
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Plumps

Amazing news! Thanks for sharing!

So, that means "spoken words" ?

Kemaweyan

Irayo nìtxan! Set oe pìyeng ayeylanur oeyä nìwotx ::)

Rutxe nari si: nì+<awn>+omum ::) Awngal omum fìlì'ut ;)
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

roger

So it would seem that Na'vi has passive participles, but not passive clauses of the "X was said by Y" variety. Paul has said he's avoided that kind of construction, and AFAIK there is no word for the "by" that we would need to create it. Like the lack of /b d g/, this seems to be a point that we were meant to work around.

omängum fra'uti

Passive voice he said would be based on word order emphasis...

Eg. Frapol ayerikti teraron - Everyone hunts hexapods
Ayerikit frapol teraron - Hexapods are hunted by everyone
Ayerikit teraron frapol - Hexapods are hunted by EVERYONE

But working around the lack of <awn> is a lot more cumbersome...

Ayerik atawnaron - Hunted hexapods
Ayerik a fot fkol teraron - Hexapods that are hunted

roger

Do you know that it's "ayerik", or are you making that assumption? That's s.t. I've been wondering about.

omängum fra'uti

It's an assumption, but on the grand scale of assumptions, it seems like a reasonably safe one to make.  However knowing is always nicer than assuming.

Swoka Swizaw

Finally, an infix with "n." I was wondering if he'd use that.

Lance R. Casey

Quote from: Kemaweyan on March 12, 2010, 07:01:28 PM
Rutxe nari si: nì+<awn>+omum ::) Awngal omum fìlì'ut ;)

Tewti! Tsalì'u ahiyìk law lam set. Nga eltu sarmatsi nìltsan! :)

// Lance R. Casey

Kì'eyawn

Huzzah!  I have more translations to fix!

Edit:  I just had a thought:  What does it mean if we stick this infix inside of an intransitive verb?  Or would it be meaningless?  Like, does *r<awn>ey mean anything?
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

okrìsti

Quote from: tigermind on March 13, 2010, 04:53:34 PM
Edit:  I just had a thought:  What does it mean if we stick this infix inside of an intransitive verb?  Or would it be meaningless?  Like, does *r<awn>ey mean anything?
I think so. I have made up these: aysìpawnlltxe or aysìpawneng :)
dA | nga tsun oehu pivlltxe fa skype: c4duser
awngeyä wìki sìltsan lu
txopu lu fya'o ne vawma pa'o – nawma karyu Yotxa

omängum fra'uti

I think your melì'u just broke my eltu.

roger

The only way it could mean anything was if it transitivized the verb, "my life was lived well" etc. English is pretty flexible that way, but don't know about Na'vi

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: roger on March 14, 2010, 01:22:37 AM

The only way it could mean anything was if it transitivized the verb, "my life was lived well" etc. English is pretty flexible that way, but don't know about Na'vi

Hmm, so... would tawnerkup be... dead?  Or am i misunderstanding how this participle works?
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Tsamsteu

theoretically, i believe it past participle of die is dead, so the verb terkup would take up the "awn" infix, tawnerkup...just have to make sure if u have a noun you add the adjectival prefix accordingly! ...tawtute atawnerkup. (dead skyperson?)
"You have a strong heart; no fear. But stupid, ignorant like a child." - Neytiri

Neytiri, oeyä tsmuke, oel ngati kameie....

Plumps

No, I don't think you do ... but it's "died" as in "the died father" I'm not sure whether this is common in English - I guess, English uses "late" for somebody who died: "the late father" or simply "the father who died"
In German it's possible to say "died father"

omängum fra'uti

<awn> is PASSIVE participle, not PAST participle

Tsamsteu

..or is it a past participle in passive voice...what is a passive participle? cause i agree that i think it would be "died," but past participle is used to create a perfect tense or passive voice..."has eaten" vs "was eaten"..
"You have a strong heart; no fear. But stupid, ignorant like a child." - Neytiri

Neytiri, oeyä tsmuke, oel ngati kameie....

wm.annis

Quote from: Tsamsteu on March 14, 2010, 03:48:04 PM
..or is it a past participle in passive voice...what is a passive participle? cause i agree that i think it would be "died," but past participle is used to create a perfect tense or passive voice..."has eaten" vs "was eaten"..

We're screwed up by the English language here.  We only have a past passive participle.  We have no good way to express a tenseless, passive participle, which ‹awn› is.  So we have to fake it with our past passive participle.