about fmetok and po/fo

Started by Plumps, February 25, 2017, 05:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plumps

Ma frapo,

Just a small confirmation. I was courious to know how tìfmetok/fmetok is used. So I asked K. Pawl about it and here is his response:

Quote from: K. Pawl, 22 Feb 2017Yes, tìfmetok can be a test in school. It can also be a more abstract test, as in "test of strength" or "a test of our resolve." And fmetok is vtr, 'test somebody.' The infixes are indeed 1, 2. (Fmetok has nothing to do with tok.) Here's a line from the original Avatar script, for the scene where Neytiri has brought Jake to Hometree for the first time, and Mo'at has just examined him:

Neytiril fmayetok fìtsamsiyut.
    'Neytiri will test this "warrior."'

So, fmetok is vtr. and infix 1,2.

I was also wondering for a little story I was writing whether it is ok to refer to animals as po/fo. He said:

Quote from: K. Pawl, 22 Feb 2017Yes, in the same way we can do it in English. It really depends on the kind of animal and our relationship to it. I only call my cats "he" and "she," but to refer to an insect I'd probably say "it."

Tìtstewan

Irayo nìtxan! :D

(Vocab page updated)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tirea Aean

*Mental note to add this and any other missing posts of this board to the wiki*

Thanks for the confirmation! I sort of wondered this too sometimes. Now I know. :D

via LG-K550 (Tapatalk)