ayyerik

Started by roger, April 18, 2010, 03:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roger

Asked about the plural of yerik. Sounds as though geminate consonants are not phonetically distinctive, but that he prefers to preserve them in the orthography.

Quote from: FrommerI've gone back and forth on that one, but I ultimately decided on ayyerik. I don't think the distinction has much consequence for the spoken language--ayyerik and ayerik would sound pretty much the same--so it's really a matter of spelling conventions. I prefer ayyerik because it clearly identifies the plural marker--cf. (1) ayyerik ayawne, and (2) ayerik ayawne. (2) would be harder on readers--in the first word, they'd have to recognize the a as a truncated plural marker, while in the second, it's the "modifier a." So I prefer (1).

I assume then that ayyerik would be pronounced [a.ye.rik] rather than [ay.ye.rik] or [ay.e.rik], but that's just a guess.

Kemaweyan

Irayo, sar lì'ut a san ayyerik sìk ko! ;)
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

okrìsti

What about fay+, still fayyerik?
dA | nga tsun oehu pivlltxe fa skype: c4duser
awngeyä wìki sìltsan lu
txopu lu fya'o ne vawma pa'o – nawma karyu Yotxa

Kemaweyan

Quote from: okrìsti on April 18, 2010, 04:56:48 PM
What about fay+, still fayyerik?

Skxakep srane, fpìl oe...
Probably yes, I think...
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Mithcoriel

Quote from: roger on April 18, 2010, 03:49:10 PM
I assume then that ayyerik would be pronounced [a.ye.rik] rather than [ay.ye.rik] or [ay.e.rik], but that's just a guess.

??? Why are you assuming it will be pronounced [a.ye.rik] when Frommer did not leave the Y away? Wouldn't it then make more sense to pronounce it [ay.ye.rik] ?
Ayoe lu aysamsiyu a plltxe "Ni" !
Aytìhawnu ayli'uyä aswok: "Ni", "Peng", si "Niiiew-wom" !

roger

I'm not clear on that. He appears to be saying that it doesn't really make any difference, whereas in languages such as Arabic which contrast y and yy this makes a huge difference, implying that there isn't a phonemic difference in Na'vi. But if two kays or tees come together, they'd be pronounced double as in English, not reduced to one the way vowels are. So I don't know. We really only have an answer for orthography.

omängum fra'uti

It seems like a.ye and ay.e would be pronounced subtly differently in Na'vi (While ay.ye would be pronounced like ay.e) so why do you think it would be a.ye rather than ay.e?

And does this mean he's finally starting to get back to some of the piled up emails?  Perhaps we'll have an answer to the questions from the community I sent off awhile ago.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

roger

Yes, he maintains a distinction between /ay.e/ and /a.ye/, but says there's no real difference between those and /ay.ye/. As I said, it's mostly an answer to the orthography.

Swoka Swizaw

Just to put another word out there: Ayyayo (birds). ;D

Ftiafpi

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on April 18, 2010, 09:46:53 PM
It seems like a.ye and ay.e would be pronounced subtly differently in Na'vi (While ay.ye would be pronounced like ay.e) so why do you think it would be a.ye rather than ay.e?

This would be my guess as well.