Author Topic: Concerning time words and fìmeu  (Read 1387 times)

Offline `Eylan Ayfalulukanä

• Palulukan Makto
  • us United States
  • Palulukan alu Kenya 06/23/1996 - 01/15/2017
    • The Lionlamb website
Re: Concerning time words and fìmeu
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 05:03:28 pm »
Horen 3.3.7 gives the order of prefixes on a noun, and fìmeu does not violate that. However, words like *ayfì'u. Do. Fìmeu has a useful meaning as Pawl points out. However fìayu does not, unless you rearrange the prefixes in your mind, such that fìayu means 'all these things'.

Unquestionably a question for Pawl, as I don't think this has been formally addressed anywhere.

Another thing. The reference in Horen 6.5.2.2, if I am interpreting it right, implies the short plural always means the singular. This makes more sense whatsoever, and maybe I am somehow misreading that. (BTW, the use of the long plural for clarity or emphasis was understood early on, and this is why I deliberately chose 'Eylan Ayfalulukanä over 'Eylan Falulukanä as my Na'vi name.)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Offline Mech

• Tawtute
    • Na'vi lessons
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 06:19:55 pm »
Concerning the long vs short plural, I don't know if it has been addressed before, but my hunch is that the long plural should ALWAYS be preferred in ceremonial situations eg. alongside ohe, ngenga etc.

Offline Tirea Aean

• The Blue One
  • Olo'eyktan Anawm
  • Palulukan Makto
  • nv Eywa'eveng
  • Can't help helpin'
    • Tirea Aean
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 06:24:32 pm »
Concerning the long vs short plural, I don't know if it has been addressed before, but my hunch is that the long plural should ALWAYS be preferred in ceremonial situations eg. alongside ohe, ngenga etc.
I would imagine so.

@`EA,
As for short plural, it is not singular. Short plural is a shortcut to express plural. All it was saying is if you encounter a noun that has changed due to a lenition-causing adposition like mì+, then the lenited noun is to be taken as lenited singular, not short plural. This was designed to break an ambiguity.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 06:30:03 pm by Tirea Aean »

Offline Blue Elf

• Palulukan Makto
  • cz Czech Republic
    • My attempt for blog
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2017, 03:49:39 pm »
Horen 3.3.7 gives the order of prefixes on a noun, and fìmeu does not violate that. However, words like *ayfì'u. Do. Fìmeu has a useful meaning as Pawl points out. However fìayu does not, unless you rearrange the prefixes in your mind, such that fìayu means 'all these things'.
According horen *fìayu should not exist. Fì- + ay+ results in fay+ prefix.

3.3.1. Fì-. This prenoun is for proximal deixis, this. When it is followed by the plural prefix ay+ they contract into fay+, these.
But also it states:
But we’ve seen fìay- from Frommer at least once, oel foru fìaylì’ut tolìng a krr, kxawm oe harmahängaw.
(source).
This requires answer, whether it is mistake / exception / what the hell. The whole sentence has not very clear meaning:
When I has given them these words, I was sleeping == when I told the these words, I was sleeping (??).

What is poet trying to say? Was I talking from sleep ? I was talking and they didn't hear me/ didn't want to hear me? Somehow strange...

Edit: added to grammar section of current submission.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 03:59:12 pm by Blue Elf »
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Offline Tirea Aean

• The Blue One
  • Olo'eyktan Anawm
  • Palulukan Makto
  • nv Eywa'eveng
  • Can't help helpin'
    • Tirea Aean
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2017, 07:53:02 pm »
According horen *fìayu should not exist. Fì- + ay+ results in fay+ prefix.

3.3.1. Fì-. This prenoun is for proximal deixis, this. When it is followed by the plural prefix ay+ they contract into fay+, these.
But also it states:
But we’ve seen fìay- from Frommer at least once, oel foru fìaylì’ut tolìng a krr, kxawm oe harmahängaw.
(source).
This requires answer, whether it is mistake / exception / what the hell. The whole sentence has not very clear meaning:
When I has given them these words, I was sleeping == when I told the these words, I was sleeping (??).

What is poet trying to say? Was I talking from sleep ? I was talking and they didn't hear me/ didn't want to hear me? Somehow strange...

Edit: added to grammar section of current submission.

fay+ is just a contraction of fìay+

That expression looks like Pawl admitting he done goof'd. See the italic header there "on making a mistake:". It seems that "When I gave them these words, maybe I was sleeping D;" i.e., I must not have been even conscious and aware of what I was saying, the mistake was so bad.

EDIT EDIT: If both don't get to make it, I'd rather see the fìmeu prefix order of precedence question make it before does fìay exist uncontracted question. (If I understood correctly)

Offline Plumps

• Palulukan Makto
  • ’Ivong Na’vi
    • Aylì'uä Ramunong (Pìlok)
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2017, 05:11:44 am »
Here’s an update on the order of prefixes and the confusion hopefully clarified.

Quote from: K. Pawl, 16 Sept 2017
As you know, the standard ordering of elements is: Demonstrative (fì-, tsa- ) + Number Marker (me-, pxe-, ay-) + Noun.

So, for example, from the film: "Fayvrrtep fìtsenge lu kxanì," where fì + ay --> fay.

That means the expected forms with 'u are, as you noted, fìmeu, fìpxeu and fayu for ‘these 2/3 things’ and

tsameu, tsapxeu and tsayu for ‘those 2/3 things.’ Those forms treat 'u as a NOUN meaning 'thing."

The unexpected order -- Number Marker + Demonstrative -- treats fì'u and tsa'u as bases themselves rather than as Dem + Noun. That is, they're considered, just as you said, bare pronouns that are "entities" themselves.

Offline Vawmataw

• Palulukan Makto
  • nv Eywa'eveng
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2017, 01:36:51 pm »
Thanks!

Offline Blue Elf

• Palulukan Makto
  • cz Czech Republic
    • My attempt for blog
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2017, 11:20:33 am »
all clear now, case closed. Thanks for info, Plumps!
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Offline Wllìm

• Omatikaya
  • nl Netherlands
    • Wimiso (weptsenge oeyä)
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2017, 03:40:41 pm »
That is great to know, thanks for asking, ma Plumps! :D
Ke lu oeru kea 'rrkotswo :D
Noun declension toolVerb infix tool •  Weather forecasts in Na'viKDE nìNa'viMy Na'vi blog

Seykxel sì nitram! Ngal rolun fì'upxaret aketsuktse'a! :D

Become LearnNavi's friend on Facebook Follow LearnNavi on Twitter! Watch LearnNavi's videos on YouTube

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines | XHTML | RSS | WAP2 | Site Rules

LearnNavi is not affiliated with the official Avatar website,
James Cameron, or the Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation.
All trademarks and servicemarks are the properties of their respective owners.
Images in the LearnNavi.org Forums and Gallery may not be used without permission.

LearnNavi Affiliates:
ToS

LearnNavi is the community to learn Na'vi, the Avatar Language
"A place where real friendships are made." -Paul Frommer

AvatarMeet | Learn Na'vi Forum | Learn Na'vi Wiki | Na'viteri

LearnNavi