Please, don't forget about the canon-wiki

Started by Na'rìghawnu, March 19, 2010, 04:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na'rìghawnu

The canon-page doesn't seem to be updated any longer. The last entry there is about the Tag Question, dated March 1. Of course I could update it myself, but my time is limited and I'm quite buisy with the LEP and the updating of our Wiki-Vocabulary. Besides that I'm trying to write a Na'vi-poem in order to enhance the corpus of Na'vi-literature a bit.

So this is a kind request to everyone: If there is new stuff released by K. Pawl known to you, please don't post it just here in the forum somewhere, but also in the wiki-canon! The purpose of the wiki is to collect all things connected to Frommer's Na'vi into one point, where it is easily accessible for everyone. Don't let this idea die ... and don't lean just on the wiki-editors to do all the work. We are as busy as possible, but work is much more efficient, if many people take care of certain aspects and contribute to the wiki.

Besides that: The canon-page got very large ... so we should think about reorganizing it. Maybe we could simply open another one, like "Canon 1 (Dec. 2009 - Feb 2010)", "Canon 2 (Mar 2010 - ...)". Suggestions?

wm.annis

Quote from: Na'rìghawnu on March 19, 2010, 04:07:58 PMBesides that: The canon-page got very large ... so we should think about reorganizing it. Maybe we could simply open another one, like "Canon 1 (Dec. 2009 - Feb 2010)", "Canon 2 (Mar 2010 - ...)". Suggestions?

A new arrangement for new Epistles from Karyu Pawl would be a good idea, but I will be very sad if we reorganize the data currently there.  There are many, many links from the grammar and vocabulary pages into the existing Corpus and Canon.

Na'rìghawnu

Quotebut I will be very sad if we reorganize the data currently there.  There are many, many links from the grammar and vocabulary pages into the existing Corpus and Canon.

I completely agree. It would be horrible to have to change all the links! So don't touch the existing parts.

How about the newer ones? I'd like to see a new page installed (maybe accessible via a link on top of the existing canon page), named something like "Epistles from Karyu Pawl", and than separate pages accessible from there (not just articles of this page!) grouped by date, e. g. "2010, March - Mai", ...

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Maybe what to do is set a date for a 'clean break' from the current way of doing things, say April 1st. On that date, a second canon page would begin. This page could be organized completely differently, perhaps containing the contents of the old canon reorganized in a way that is more logical and relevant going forward. From that point on, all the existing links into the old canon would still be valid, but subsequent users could link to either old or new material on the new page.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Na'rìghawnu

Good ideas, ma 'eylan.

The only problem I see about this is, that a "more logical" way would include subsections, e. g. "Infixes", "Semantics", etc. And K. Pawl messages often include a mix of all. So the person, who wants to contribute stuff to the wiki, had to split it up and to put it into the different sections etc. I'm afraid, that this "plus-work" would cause the people to do even fewer contributions than they do at all.

Especially in the last two weeks (after the completition of the first round of the LEP) there was obviously much communication with K. Pawl, because here in the forum many snippets about updates were (and are) posted. But none of them found it's way to the wiki. On the one hand, there are more and more postings like "I'm quite sure that this was mentioned by Frommer somewhere, but I can't find it" or "Are there any approved examples for XYZ?", but on the other hand the wiki-canon - a tool, where such problems could be solved easily - is neglected.

Well ... I can't do much more, than kindly ask again all people to shuffle new stuff to the wiki at sight. Since I think, that we can't wait until April (because there's already so much stuff not in the wiki), I'll set up just a new canon-page today and start to transfer forum-stuff to that page myself. Any help is appreciated.

okrìsti

Ehw, I have tried to cover last updates here. Certainly I am aware of the different style compared to the canon.
dA | nga tsun oehu pivlltxe fa skype: c4duser
awngeyä wìki sìltsan lu
txopu lu fya'o ne vawma pa'o – nawma karyu Yotxa

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Na'rìghawnu on March 21, 2010, 02:11:15 AM
Good ideas, ma 'eylan.

The only problem I see about this is, that a "more logical" way would include subsections, e. g. "Infixes", "Semantics", etc. And K. Pawl messages often include a mix of all. So the person, who wants to contribute stuff to the wiki, had to split it up and to put it into the different sections etc. I'm afraid, that this "plus-work" would cause the people to do even fewer contributions than they do at all.

Although what you suggest is an *extremely* good idea, it isn't quite what I had in mind. The subdivisions I had envisioned more of a 'interrupted-chronological subdivision, breaking the canon into nantang-sized pieces vs the existing palulukan-sized piece. Or, just start a second section (which I think is what you are doing, correct me if I am wrong) page. When full, start a third page, etc.

It would be a worthy project for someone to sort through all the Frommerian posts, and build an index of the content. Since the canon pages are essentially static, these pages could be quite permanent, since the links into the canon would not change with time. This would not have to be you doing this, but someone who is interested, and who has tthe time to do it. (This does not include me right now!)

Quote from: Na'rìghawnuEspecially in the last two weeks (after the completition of the first round of the LEP) there was obviously much communication with K. Pawl, because here in the forum many snippets about updates were (and are) posted. But none of them found it's way to the wiki. On the one hand, there are more and more postings like "I'm quite sure that this was mentioned by Frommer somewhere, but I can't find it" or "Are there any approved examples for XYZ?", but on the other hand the wiki-canon - a tool, where such problems could be solved easily - is neglected.

Well ... I can't do much more, than kindly ask again all people to shuffle new stuff to the wiki at sight. Since I think, that we can't wait until April (because there's already so much stuff not in the wiki), I'll set up just a new canon-page today and start to transfer forum-stuff to that page myself. Any help is appreciated.

First of all, I want to give you a long-overdue Irayo for your work on the LEP. While a lot of debate was going on on what should and what shouldn't make the list, you were just quietly moving stuff over without complaining  :) So, it is OK to move stuff over to the wiki-canon without being a moderator, etc.? I would like to help (when I have time), but don't want to step on any toes, stick my nose where it doesn't belong and risk 'getting my queue cut off'!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Na'rìghawnu

Quotebreaking the canon into nantang-sized pieces vs the existing palulukan-sized piece.

;D

QuoteOr, just start a second section (which I think is what you are doing, correct me if I am wrong) page. When full, start a third page, etc.

That's how I did it now. There's a link in the head of the Canon-Page now, which guides to a page opened to be filled with the information we get from March until June.

Quoteindex of the content.

Well, this would be a really nice "plus". But to have all updates collected into the canon-page is already a great help itself.

QuoteSo, it is OK to move stuff over to the wiki-canon without being a moderator, etc.?

Yes, it is. Just get your bearings looking at the way it is done already, e. g. here. It's no big deal with the canon, not much formatting or alike. (It's different with some other sections of the wiki, e. g. the vocabulary, where there is something like a non-published "style guide" to observe, in order to maintain consistency.) So if you have some time to contribute to the canon-wiki, this is appreciated very much. Irayo!