a few small things

Started by Kì'eyawn, September 01, 2010, 11:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kì'eyawn

Kaltxì, ma eylan leNa'vi.  I recently received a brief message from Karyu Pawl, and though i'm not sure if any of this is news to you, it was to me.  Fìlì'fyaviru tìng nari.

Quote from: Karyu PawlFuria ngal fì'upxaret oeru fpole' lu oe nitram nìtxan! Ngaytxoa, ngari narmew txana krr pamrel sivi, slä...

Okay, so the two things i got out of this that surprised me:

1)  Furia... lu oe nitram

I had been under the impression that nitram was always paired with the verb 'efu, but obviously that's not the case.

2)  ...narmew txana krr pamrel sivi

First of all, i'm stoked whenever i see a verb with a tense infix, because every added example improves my understanding of how Na'vi verbs work.  But secondly, this use of txana krr:  I had been wondering how we would talk about time durations like this in Na'vi—as in this case, wanting to do something "for a long time."  I had been wondering if there were a preferred adposition for this sort of thing, but apparently it's simpler than that.

Ha nìmun, kxawm ayngaru tsayu ke lu mip, slä fìfya lu oer.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Lance R. Casey

Quote from: tigermind on September 01, 2010, 11:27:45 AM
I had been under the impression that nitram was always paired with the verb 'efu, but obviously that's not the case.
Indeed! Here's the relevant quote:

Quote from: K. PawlLefpom is nfp (not for people)—use it for "happy story," "joyous occasion," etc. For people: nitram. For internal states (happy, sad, hot, cold, hungry, thirsty, . . .) use 'efu + ADJ, as in Eng. "I feel cold."
So either he's changed his mind, that initial statement was not as firm as it seemed, or this new use was a gaffe. All three have occurred before.

Quote from: tigermind on September 01, 2010, 11:27:45 AM
But secondly, this use of txana krr:  I had been wondering how we would talk about time durations like this in Na'vi—as in this case, wanting to do something "for a long time."  I had been wondering if there were a preferred adposition for this sort of thing, but apparently it's simpler than that.
Interesting! And this also ties in with Norm's line from the movie.

// Lance R. Casey

Payä Tìrol

So the "for" just disappears? That's interesting.
Oeyä atanìl mì sìvawm, mipa tìreyä tìsìlpeyur yat terìng

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Lance R. Casey on September 01, 2010, 12:54:50 PMSo either he's changed his mind, that initial statement was not as firm as it seemed, or this new use was a gaffe. All three have occurred before.

Tam.  I hope i'm not being a pain in the arse, but i e-mailed him to check if that was a gaff.  Will report back to you all when i hear.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...