Good Morning America Related Phrases (and audio recording)

Started by Prrton, February 26, 2010, 02:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prrton

There are egregious errors in the English in the PDF portion of this packet. I'm sorry. It was written at like 2:00 AM some morning that I no longer remember on fewer brain cells than were necessary to complete it properly. Oeru txoa livu.

I will never have time to code this up in HTML, but if anyone wants to do that and post it here (or more likely in the corpus somewhere), feel free.  ;) Many thanks to Seabass for dealing with the large .MP3 file. Run nìneäo.

Trr lefpom, ke ma Amerika nì'aw, slä nìteng ma Kifkey nìwotx!  ;D

'Ivong Na'vi!

roger

Hey, thanks!

BTW, he does say that maw does not cause lenition.

I'm not surprised by ayoe. I'm more surprised by ruseyä. In ayoe, the "ayo" behaves like VCV, with the y being the onset of a syllable. In ruseyä, the "eyä" behaves like VV, with the y being the coda of a syllable. But AFAIR Frommer said Na'vi does not have this contrast.

Plumps

Thanks for sharing! I love Karyu Pawl speak! tewti! fìtìwin!!!  :o

Concerning the .pdf ... Is snumina correct? I thought it was snumìna...

Nawmaritie

Thank you very much!

Quote from: pdfLì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu.

Do I see this correctly that <am> + <ol> --> <alm>  is now confirmed?
(I apologize, if it was already)

ke'u tsatìfkeyuyä hapxìmungwrr
a frakrr tìkawngit neiew mivunge
slä tìsìltsanit ngop nì'aw frakrr

Na'vi-Deutsch Wörterbuch
Deutsch-Na'vi Wörterbuch

okrìsti

Very well done and nice transcription, and new items for my place of honor in my folder. :)
His pronunciation rules. :)
dA | nga tsun oehu pivlltxe fa skype: c4duser
awngeyä wìki sìltsan lu
txopu lu fya'o ne vawma pa'o – nawma karyu Yotxa

Talis

Irayo! :)

But why is the .mp3 just at the centre-speaker?
The online-version is different, it sounds like at least stereo...
Is it an error only in my system, or is there anyone out there hearing the message just at the centre-speaker, too?  :-\

omängum fra'uti

Try a different MP3 player, or turn off surround in the one you are using?  MP3 files don't typically define more than two channels (Left and right), and if they are the same, something trying to process it for surround w/ pro logic or whatever will naturally send the result to the center speaker.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Prrton

Quote from: Plumps83 on February 26, 2010, 05:23:09 AM
Thanks for sharing! I love Karyu Pawl speak! tewti! fìtìwin!!!  :o

Concerning the .pdf ... Is snumina correct? I thought it was snumìna...

SNUmìna. You are correct that it should be « ì » not « i ». The stress in pronunciation falls on the « SNU- »

Nìteng, leram oer fwa oeyä lì'fya leNa'vi kop ke lu fìtxan txantsan nìkxamtxon.  ;)

Erimeyz

Quote from: roger on February 26, 2010, 03:02:02 AM
But AFAIR Frommer said Na'vi does not have this contrast.

I recall this being said, but I don't recall it being said by Frommer.  I looked for it recently and couldn't find it.

- Eri

Erimeyz

Thank you to Paul, Prrton, and everyone else for sharing this - especially the audio.  It's a sheer delight to listen to Pawl nìNavi.

I really liked hearing the new word nìwin'it quickly-bit "a little quickly", i.e. not as quickly as nìwin.  Although just from the audio it almost sounds like *nìwini'it, but I don't think that's what he was saying (listen for yourself - 00:13 and 00:56).

- Eri

Lance R. Casey

Quote from: Erimeyz on February 26, 2010, 01:10:30 PM
I really liked hearing the new word nìwin'it quickly-bit "a little quickly", i.e. not as quickly as nìwin.  Although just from the audio it almost sounds like *nìwini'it, but I don't think that's what he was saying (listen for yourself - 00:13 and 00:56).

I took it as nìwin nì'it myself.

// Lance R. Casey

roger

Quote from: Nawmaritie on February 26, 2010, 06:04:43 AM
Do I see this correctly that <am> + <ol> --> <alm>  is now confirmed?

Frommer has confirmed this and implied the rest are regular. I posted that somewhere on the corpus page. I'd asked "[this] confirms grr "root" and past pfv. I assume future pfv  would be 'alyog." To which he replied, "Right."

Erimeyz

omängum fra'uti

Also worth noting that kì'ong is "Slow" and not a type of fruit or vegetable.  And nìk'ong is the adverb form "Slowly".
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Rain

Irayo ma Prrton, ma Karyu Pawl! It helps immensely with my pronounciation. Especially when it is first said slowly, then repreated quickly.
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Prrton

Quote from: Rain on February 26, 2010, 10:03:15 PM
Irayo ma Prrton, ma Karyu Pawl! It helps immensely with my pronounciation. Especially when it is first said slowly, then repreated quickly.

Frakrr nìmeuia, ma tsmuk!  ;D

NeotrekkerZ

We had a possible question a while ago for the next email to Karyu Pawl regarding what happens, pronunciation-wise, when the attributive marker -a- encounters a consonant such that a diphthong is created.  Well, listening from 3:10 to 3:12 skxawng ayawne, it appears you pronounce it as a diphthong.  So we can scratch that off the list.
Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

roger

Not so fast! In "ayoe" it instead behaves as VCV. When should it be VV, and when VCV?

NeotrekkerZ

Ayoe is a plural form, I was not trying/meaning to imply pronunciation rules for plurals, only for -a- pertaining to adjectives.
Rìk oe lu hufwemì, nìn fya'ot a oe tswayon!

roger

Quote from: NeotrekkerZ on February 27, 2010, 01:22:49 AM
Ayoe is a plural form, I was not trying/meaning to imply pronunciation rules for plurals, only for -a- pertaining to adjectives.

Sure, but why attribs if not plurals? That's still a question to ask:  if this is correct, then the letters y and w would appear to each stand for two different phonemes.