Idiomatic Expressions

Started by Taronyu, April 01, 2010, 06:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: TunVrrtep on November 05, 2010, 05:50:38 PM
Ok.  It's not an Idiomatic expression.  It's a Goddess chant.  But here is one of them. 

Srerew 'ìheyu nemfa kxamtseng
Kxamtseng ayoengeyä tìhawnu (leyn)
Lu oe täftxuyu lu oe tawnamäftxua 'awpo
Lu oe uniltu lu oe unil (leyn)

I'm going to work on translating some of the rules of Wicca also. 

ta TunVrrtep

So, sorry i didn't catch this earlier, but you don't need that <am> in täftxu.  The participle <awn> is all you need for "woven".  So, lu oe tawnäftxua 'awpo
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Maria TunVrrtep

Quote from: Kì'eyawn on November 11, 2010, 08:49:54 AM
Ok.  It's not an Idiomatic expression.  It's a Goddess chant.  But here is one of them. 

ta TunVrrtep

So, sorry i didn't catch this earlier, but you don't need that <am> in täftxu.  The participle <awn> is all you need for "woven".  So, lu oe tawnäftxua 'awpo

Irayo, ma Ki'eyawn. 
I'll change it in my notes.  I keep all the phrases I've translated in a word file.

ta TunVrrtep
"Ke'u ke lu law a krr frakem tsunslu." -
    Margaret Drabble
("When nothing is sure, everything is possible.")

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: TunVrrtep on November 11, 2010, 08:52:51 AM

ta TunVrrtep

Irayo, ma Ki'eyawn. 
I'll change it in my notes.  I keep all the phrases I've translated in a word file.

ta TunVrrtep

In fact, it wouldn't be allowed, <awn> and <us> take the same position as <am> and, as there is no combined infix cannot both be used. (There's also the question of whether it would be meaningful to have participles associated with tense).
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: kewnya txamew'itan on November 12, 2010, 11:08:43 AM

ta TunVrrtep

Irayo, ma Ki'eyawn. 

ta TunVrrtep

In fact, it wouldn't be allowed, <awn> and <us> take the same position as <am> and, as there is no combined infix cannot both be used. (There's also the question of whether it would be meaningful to have participles associated with tense).

Yes, you're absolutely correct.  Ngaytxoa, i should have made that clearer.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Maria TunVrrtep

Quote from: Kì'eyawn on November 12, 2010, 12:07:49 PM
Quote from: kewnya txamew'itan on November 12, 2010, 11:08:43 AM

ta TunVrrtep

Irayo, ma Ki'eyawn. 

ta TunVrrtep

Yes, you're absolutely correct.  Ngaytxoa, i should have made that clearer.

Irayo, both of you.  I was not aware of that. 
ta TunVrrtep
"Ke'u ke lu law a krr frakem tsunslu." -
    Margaret Drabble
("When nothing is sure, everything is possible.")

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Here are a couple of Palulukan proverbs.

The first on was worked over in another thread:

Ke lu kea tìngäzìk letawtute a palulukan ke tsun zeykivo

This one is new

Pol tsere`a palulukanit mì nari  ye`rin tsere`a Eywat

I think there is something missing here. Perhaps something between the two obvious clauses? fula? a? But if Na`vi likes simplicity, maybe this is fine.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Lance R. Casey

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on November 14, 2010, 01:56:43 AM
Pol tsere`a palulukanit mì nari  ye`rin tsere`a Eywat

I think there is something missing here. Perhaps something between the two obvious clauses? fula? a? But if Na`vi likes simplicity, maybe this is fine.

My take:
Sutel a nìn palulukanä narit tsìye'a Eywat

// Lance R. Casey

nìTsìng Lekinama Yayo

Something like this has probably already been done, but I just came up with this and thought I'd get it out there:

Tskxe mì kxetse

Thoughts?  :D

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Lance R. Casey on November 14, 2010, 04:06:27 AM
Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on November 14, 2010, 01:56:43 AM
Pol tsere`a palulukanit mì nari  ye`rin tsere`a Eywat

My take:
Sutel a nìn palulukanä narit tsìye'a Eywat

I realized when I read this again tonight (before looking at your post) that the first tserea means 'sees' rather than 'looks'. So, you caught my biggest error.
I had originally thought that palulukanä narit was the best wording here as well, but couldn't decide for sure whether the thanator or the thanator's eyes were the object. So, I eventually settled on the thanator itself. But I will change my mind now, and agree with you.
Finally, despite the future tense infix in tsìye`a, I think 'soon' still needs to be in the sentence, as it clarifies the meaning better. Thus:
Sutel a nìn palulukanä narit ye`rìn tsìye'a Eywat
The idea here is looking most predators in the eye (including a thanator, I assume) is considered a threat action, and a thanator will have no trouble 'neutralizing' (and having a snack at the same time) a typical Na`vi tute.

And for nìTsìng Lekinama Yayo
Quote from: nìTsìng Lekinama Yayo on November 14, 2010, 07:56:59 PM
Something like this has probably already been done, but I just came up with this and thought I'd get it out there:

Tskxe mì kxetse

Thoughts?  :D

Why not just Tìsraw mì tìm?

Yawey ngahu!

omängum fra'uti

Tskxe mì kxetse

I really like the way you played with the sounds there.  Those sorts of plays on sounds of words tend to be one of the sorts of things that makes idioms.  However mì is leniting so it would be "Tskxe mì ketse".  To say it the other way would be understood as "A tail on a rock", not quite the same thing.  But you could just swap the words around and get "Kxetsemì tskxe".

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on November 15, 2010, 12:53:12 AM
Because "Pain in the butt" is an idiom - it's not literally a pain anywhere, let alone the butt, so why would the Na'vi say it like that?  Admittedly a rock on the tail does seem to be a BIT close, but it has that repeated syllable sounds going for it, and a rock on the tail could also be interpreted not so much as something causing pain, but something dragging you down, making things difficult, or whatever.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Plumps

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on November 15, 2010, 02:54:16 AM

Tskxe mì kxetse

I really like the way you played with the sounds there.  Those sorts of plays on sounds of words tend to be one of the sorts of things that makes idioms.  However mì is leniting so it would be "Tskxe mì ketse".  To say it the other way would be understood as "A tail on a rock", not quite the same thing.  But you could just swap the words around and get "Kxetsemì tskxe".

Yeah, I like that a lot and I'm sure K. Pawl will too because of the sound repetition.

Am I the only one who thinks that, when it comes to idiomatic expressions, we are only creative with negative things...? ::) :P

wm.annis

Tskxe mì kxetse

The adposition causes lenition, so it needs to be tskxe mì ketse.  If you love the ejectives too much :) you could go with an enclitic adposition, tskxe kxetsemì.

Ftiafpi

Tskxe mì kxetse

Heh, I like it. Also, as can mean on or in I, at first, translated it as "a rock in the tail". XD If you used txìm then it would have REALLY sounded painful.  ;)

Kì'eyawn

Shouldn't there be an a in here somewhere?

Tskxe a kxetsemì, kefyak?
eo Eywa oe 'ia

wm.annis

Quote from: Kì'eyawn on November 15, 2010, 09:38:58 AM

Grammatically, probably.  But idioms and set phrases tend to get worn down to the essentials.

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: wm.annis on November 15, 2010, 11:24:57 AM
Quote from: Kì'eyawn on November 15, 2010, 09:38:58 AM

Grammatically, probably.  But idioms and set phrases tend to get worn down to the essentials.

Point taken (wow, i typed "pint taken" the first time; guess where my head is...).

That being the case, personally i vote for the adposition disappearing altogether—simply because i think kxetse tskxe is fun to say  ;D
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Plumps

*hrh*
Why does it has to be exclusively? We also have sìn or äo ... kxetse äo tskxe is also fun to say :D not sure about tskxe sìn kxetse ... latter one could be used for when somebody drags you down ;D

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Plumps on November 15, 2010, 12:38:09 PM
*hrh*
Why does it has to be exclusively? We also have sìn or äo ... kxetse äo tskxe is also fun to say :D not sure about tskxe sìn kxetse ... latter one could be used for when somebody drags you down ;D
To me, this makes a lot more sense for a meaning for this idiom. To equate 'a rock on the tail' with 'a pain in the butt' is a stretch. A closer equating would be a 'stone in my shoe', because a rock probably wouldn't sit on a tail long to be a constant irritant. But taken in the context mentioned here. In which case, this is pure genius. (And the rock needs to be big enough to pin the tail down, not just irritate it. Ouch!!)

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on November 15, 2010, 12:53:12 AM
Quote from: nìTsìng Lekinama Yayo
Because "Pain in the butt" is an idiom - it's not literally a pain anywhere, let alone the butt, so why would the Na'vi say it like that?  Admittedly a rock on the tail does seem to be a BIT close, but it has that repeated syllable sounds going for it, and a rock on the tail could also be interpreted not so much as something causing pain, but something dragging you down, making things difficult, or whatever.

It is supposed to be an idiom, just like 'rock on the tail'. Its just not quite as rythmic as tskxe sìn kxetse, or the many variants discussed here. It also has a little different meaning, like a nagging inconvenicence.

Yawey ngahu!

'Oma Tirea

From the movie, said by Neytiri in English.

NìNa'vi: Krr a ke'ut ngal tse'a lu krr a fra'ut ngal kame.

NB the usage of "tse'a" and "kame" can be a bit questionable...

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!