The Wiki Canon & Corpus

Started by Taronyu, July 08, 2010, 06:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taronyu

Kaltxì ma frapo,

There is an amazing resource that I don't think is getting the attention it deserves. This subforum here is instrumental in hashing out what Frommer means from his messages, but isn't really suitable when trying to find that exact linguistic example, or trying to remember what Frommer said about "uvan si". But there is a place for that sort of search - the wiki. Here are the pages I think are most useful:

• The Wiki Main Page - The Central Hub, as it were.
  • The Corpus - Where all official Frommerian updates should go.
  • The Canon - Where all emails from Frommer are placed. This is where most of the stuff on this board has gone, or should go.
  • The More Recent Canon - From March to June. I don't know why these are split up, but this is just as useful as the above one.
  • Lines from Avatar - For when you can't figure it out.
  • Vocabulary - This is a great resource. I've found words in here that weren't in my dictionary, and it has examples for many of the words - which I don't.

There's another page worth mentioning: the Help Wanted page. The wiki is a user-changed system - You can go on right now and delete everything, you have that sort of power (don't). What you can do to be constructive is to look around here, and every time that you see a new post, put it in the wiki. I use this as my definitive guide to how to speak Na'vi - if everything we knew was in here, we could all use it to improve ourselves.

I just wanted to point this out. Seriously, the wiki is awesome: sar fkot!

okrìsti

So, yeah.
The splitting up of the Canon is a little odd, the way it is right now.
I would do
1. an entry page and put everything on sub-pages with a little navigation between them, or
2. everything on one page, which will get a confusing (too).
Either way, I think they need a kind of reformatting, maybe even a kind of index.

The Movie Lines, are nice, I wanted to gloss them, but I was lazy lately, therefore I have not done much for a while. There section with "Attack on Hometree" is somehow incorrect, probably will do this today.

» This is how far I came. :)
dA | nga tsun oehu pivlltxe fa skype: c4duser
awngeyä wìki sìltsan lu
txopu lu fya'o ne vawma pa'o – nawma karyu Yotxa

wm.annis

Yeah, the split of the canon pages is because the main one was getting too huge — huge enough for the Wiki software to complain (the same is currently true of the Vocabulary as well).  A reorg of that might be nice, but it would also break a zillion links throughout the rest of the wiki, since we often reference the canon and corpus items for examples.

okrìsti

Quote from: wm.annis on July 08, 2010, 07:36:04 AM
Yeah, the split of the canon pages is because the main one was getting too huge — huge enough for the Wiki software to complain (the same is currently true of the Vocabulary as well).  A reorg of that might be nice, but it would also break a zillion links throughout the rest of the wiki, since we often reference the canon and corpus items for examples.

If Canon gets moved to let us say Canon/2010/December-'09-Februar the links can easily altered to work again.
There are some pages affected, but not that much.

dA | nga tsun oehu pivlltxe fa skype: c4duser
awngeyä wìki sìltsan lu
txopu lu fya'o ne vawma pa'o – nawma karyu Yotxa

Kì'eyawn

K.  I just went onto the wiki and added the e-mail convo i'd had with Karyu Pawl.  I hope the formatting and all was right =\  Sorry i didn't spend too much time making it prettified; got my master's thesis defense in a few hours (eek!).
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Taronyu

Quote from: tigermind on July 08, 2010, 10:06:17 AM
K.  I just went onto the wiki and added the e-mail convo i'd had with Karyu Pawl.  I hope the formatting and all was right =\  Sorry i didn't spend too much time making it prettified; got my master's thesis defense in a few hours (eek!).

Good luck! And thanks.

Blue Elf

It's half of 2014 and there's no new records in Canon for this year. Nothing worth to add it there?
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tirea Aean

Oh there's a lot since the last update there. It's just most people forget about the existence of the Wiki. Editing the Wiki is on my list of things to do. :)

Tìtstewan

Tì'efumì oeyä, there need some structural changes anyway...
If one look at the "corpus" pages it's like a monster.
Why the canon stuff could not be better categorized? I hove no concret idea how or what yet, but with the work on the new books especially the "Big One" we will see what would be necessary to update, change or should be added. (The "Big One" should contains link to their canon source. Ma TA, I think, I will talk about it when I'm 100% ready for this new project. ;))

Plus, I see there is missing some newer links in the "Resources", oh well.

E: Beware the edits!

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tirea Aean

Why not make wiki accounts and we all work on it?

Tìtstewan

Yeah (I have already one), first, one must let create an account (one must post into this thread to let the bosses of the LN wiki know that one want an account there, then, they will create one for you.)
Then, smuk can work on it. :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Tìtstewan

FYI

I took the liberty to re-organize some lyrics by CdS - Toruk: The first flight. It got an own page [Na'vi by Cirque du Soleil] and it is on the main page:

Also,
Quote from: Tìtstewan on January 17, 2016, 02:28:45 PM
Quote from: Plumps on January 17, 2016, 10:27:36 AM
Btw, can somebody with wiki-power add this article, i.e. the French flyer to the Corpus page for refence? I also find it interesting that we get our first example of yaymak here.
http://wiki.learnnavi.org/Corpus#Cirque_du_Soleil:_Toruk_-_The_First_Flight
^Fìtsenge. :D (I've added the original Na'vi text as well as a corrected one. (fixed the missing ì and that typo at ayolo'ur)
Btw, can someone with French language power check my English translations?
Has been moved to Text Corpus instead of Audio Corpus:
1.21 Cirque du Soleil: Toruk - The First Flight
:toruk:

Blue Elf

IMHO it would be fair to add note, that text of Lu 'Aw Na'vi comes from the YT video. However this text differs from that one I hear in soundtrack. I wonder if there are two versions or final version was simplified....

Tìtstewan

If I am not mistaken, Lu 'aw Na'vi aka Awnga lu 'aw means the same song. I have added a link to the source (that video where the sheet appeared).
The difference is, that the "Lu 'aw Na'vi" is a shortened version.

If I heared it correctly, there is missing these two lines:
'Awstengyäpem,
Lu 'aw Na'vi,

and

Seykxel sì txur,
Lu 'aw Na'vi.

----
So, "Lu 'aw Na'vi" is:
Awnga lu 'aw,
Lu 'aw Na'vi,

Lu txur awnga,
Lu 'aw Na'vi,

Awnga lu 'aw,
Lu 'aw Na'vi,

Lu txur awnga,
Lu 'aw Na'vi.

(I hope there will be a lyrics in the CD version...)

Tam, did some edits:
http://wiki.learnnavi.org/Na%27vi_by_Cirque_du_Soleil#Awnga_Lu_.27Aw_-_We_Are_One

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tìtstewan on January 24, 2016, 10:21:54 AM
So, "Lu 'aw Na'vi" is:
Awnga lu 'aw,
Lu 'aw Na'vi,

Lu txur awnga,
Lu 'aw Na'vi,

Awnga lu 'aw,
Lu 'aw Na'vi,

Lu txur awnga,
Lu 'aw Na'vi.

That's exactly what I can hear in soundtrack. My source is not official, so I'm not sure if song name is correct - I have no booklet. Maybe someone else can help in this area.

Tìtstewan