New words from the 2012 AvatarMeet Na'vi class

Started by Toruk Makto, July 22, 2012, 05:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toruk Makto

Paul introduced 4 new words:

swoa - n. - Intoxicating beverage, or "spirits"
rou - vin. - Be, or get drunk
pamrelvi - n. - letter (phonetic symbol)
snapamrelvi - n. - alphabet

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Niri Te

By "Spirits", does he mean the kind of spirits that you drink, the kind that "Haunt", or both??
Niri Te
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Plumps

Great :)
:-\ I'm very courious what kind of beginners lesson that is/was where something like this comes up ;D

Thanks for sharing! I see that you've indicated the stress in the dictionary :) txantsan.

Ma Niri Te ... given the first definition I think it's the one you drink. It's just something that we would use. The Na'vi would probably not have a word for 'alcoholic drinks' – that's the closest to it.

I would like to know whether it's countable.

Tirea Aean

Puvomun

Quote from: Niri Te on July 22, 2012, 05:50:38 PM
By "Spirits", does he mean the kind of spirits that you drink, the kind that "Haunt", or both??
Niri Te

It says "Intoxicating beverage", so it means the drinks. Alcohol, booze.
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Seze Mune

Niri Te

We already have a word for the non-beverage kind of spirit: tirea

Tirea Aean

Kemaweyan

Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Niri Te

Quote from: Seze Mune on July 22, 2012, 11:12:17 PM
Niri Te

We already have a word for the non-beverage kind of spirit: tirea

I know that, but is that word for Spirit, as in the phrase "We defend this place in the SPIRIT of those who defended it years ago", or does it Mean a single person's ACTUAL SPIRIT??
I thought the word Tirea was to mean (as in his name) someone who has the "Spirit" of a true Na'vi, not someone who has the ACTUAL SPIRIT of one particular Na'vi, (Spirit possessed?).
Niri Te

Seze Mune

Quote from: Niri Te on July 23, 2012, 07:54:55 AM

I know that, but is that word for Spirit, as in the phrase "We defend this place in the SPIRIT of those who defended it years ago", or does it Mean a single person's ACTUAL SPIRIT??
I thought the word Tirea was to mean (as in his name) someone who has the "Spirit" of a true Na'vi, not someone who has the ACTUAL SPIRIT of one particular Na'vi, (Spirit possessed?).
Niri Te

Good questions.  Lacking other input, I would use tirea for both meanings:  (1) Oe kem si nìtirea Na'viyä (I act in the spirit (way) of a Na'vi), or (2) Peyä tirea lu Eywamì (His/her spirit is with Eywa). 

Perhaps Tirea Aean or Blue Elf will correct my Na'vi here, or even give their opinion on your questions?

Niri Te

Irayo ma Seze, you gave me two good ways to phrase the two different meanings of that word. Unless Tirea Aean Paul Kater, or Blue Elf say otherwise, THAT is how I will construct sentences concerning those two meanings.
Niri Te

Tirea Aean

I don't think anyone knows EXACTLY, but for now I'm with Seze Mune. I could be wrong.

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Seze Mune on July 23, 2012, 09:02:11 AM
Good questions.  Lacking other input, I would use tirea for both meanings:  (1) Oe kem si nìtirea Na'viyä (I act in the spirit (way) of a Na'vi), or (2) Peyä tirea lu Eywamì (His/her spirit is with Eywa). 

Perhaps Tirea Aean or Blue Elf will correct my Na'vi here, or even give their opinion on your questions?
Tirea can be used at least in second case:
Ngari hu Eywa salew tirea, tokx 'ì'awn fte slivu Na'viyä hapxì (Your spirit goes to Eywa, body remains to become part of People)
But to me it doesn't appears to be wrong use it also in the first meaning.
What is less clear is difference between tirea and vitra; in my language they have both the same meaning (spirit has wider usage)
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Very good question, ma Blue Elf!

There's the answer, but I don't guarantee you will understand, or even like the answer. I was very tired whan I wrote this, so I am not sure I worded it well.

In English teachings in a Christian worldview, there is a definite distinction between 'soul (vitra) and 'spirit' (tirea). The spirit is an ever-existing part of your being that takes the same kind of form as God. It also means the embodiment of all existing entities that do not have a physical body. Thus, Blue Elf is correct in  stating that tirea term has a wider range of meaning that vitra.

Vitra refers to a specific part of our bring that makes us who we are. It,too exists apart from the physical entity that makes up a physical living thing. I think it gives the spirit living character, and is much more closely tied with the spirit than the body. The other way is to think of these entities is like a radio signal. The spirit  is the carrier wave, and the soul is the information modulating the carrier. The soul and spirit are meant to always be together, yet remain separate entities. There is some significance as to why this distinction exists at all, but its origins are not really a subject to discourse on here. Suffice to say that there is a meaning for, and a use of, both of these words.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

DJ Makto

Don't forget about Dr. Frommer's mention of the informal word for Palulukan--Palukan. *Mentioned at the clan dinner*

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: DJ Makto on July 24, 2012, 12:42:41 AM
Don't forget about Dr. Frommer's mention of the informal word for Palulukan--Palukan. *Mentioned at the clan dinner*

This term is actually been around for quite some time-- well over a year, at least. However, I don't believe it ever made it into the dictionary. Update: It is indeed in the dictionary, as a sub-entry under Palulukan.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Blue Elf

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on July 24, 2012, 12:20:51 AM
Very good question, ma Blue Elf!

There's the answer, but I don't guarantee you will understand, or even like the answer. I was very tired whan I wrote this, so I am not sure I worded it well.

In English teachings in a Christian worldview, there is a definite distinction between 'soul (vitra) and 'spirit' (tirea). The spirit is an ever-existing part of your being that takes the same kind of form as God. It also means the embodiment of all existing entities that do not have a physical body. Thus, Blue Elf is correct in  stating that tirea term has a wider range of meaning that vitra.

Vitra refers to a specific part of our bring that makes us who we are. It,too exists apart from the physical entity that makes up a physical living thing. I think it gives the spirit living character, and is much more closely tied with the spirit than the body. The other way is to think of these entities is like a radio signal. The spirit  is the carrier wave, and the soul is the information modulating the carrier. The soul and spirit are meant to always be together, yet remain separate entities. There is some significance as to why this distinction exists at all, but its origins are not really a subject to discourse on here. Suffice to say that there is a meaning for, and a use of, both of these words.
Very good explanation! I think I understand it, analogy with radio signal is very interesting and helpful.

Prrton

Swoa is a liquid like pay, so not countable. I am under the impression that naer is countable, so naer swoayä would give you a countable beverage that is intoxicating. It seems it would be useful to have an adjective, leswoa, for "intoxicating". That should probably be proposed through the LEP.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Prrton on July 26, 2012, 01:33:21 PM

Swoa is a liquid like pay, so not countable. I am under the impression that naer is countable, so naer swoayä would give you a countable beverage that is intoxicating. It seems it would be useful to have an adjective, leswoa, for "intoxicating". That should probably be proposed through the LEP.
This leads to discussion about le- productivity. In dictionary it is located in main area (le–: [lE] PF adjective deriving affix), not under Inflections chapter, what is interesting and one can think it is fully productive....