Project GreenQuill ~ Increasing the Na'Vi Lexicon

Started by Plltxeyu, February 27, 2010, 10:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roger

Quote from: 'eylan na'viyä on March 01, 2010, 01:54:09 AM
Quote from: roger on February 28, 2010, 07:54:55 PM
I wonder if sa:yom could be used for "food".
if you cant make an ä, it might be better to make an "â"(a+^) instead than an "a:"
I'm on a borrowed computer and don't have my usual plugins. I just noticed we have ä and ì in the edit window.

Prrton

Quote from: roger on March 01, 2010, 02:15:54 AM
Quote from: 'eylan na'viyä on March 01, 2010, 01:54:09 AM
Quote from: roger on February 28, 2010, 07:54:55 PM
I wonder if sa:yom could be used for "food".
if you cant make an ä, it might be better to make an "â"(a+^) instead than an "a:"
I'm on a borrowed computer and don't have my usual plugins. I just noticed we have ä and ì in the edit window.

Did your computer, in fact, melt?  :'(

We just got säfpìl for "idea" so säyom doesn't seem outside of the realm of possibility, but it seems unlikely to me that there would not be one or more roots for plain ol' "food". Also, sä- seems to have a bit of a causative/agent thing going on. I guess that food can "enable" one to/ be a "vehicle" for eating, but hmmm...

roger

No, but the rattling was so loud I couldn't hear myself think. Turns out it's mounted directly to the motherboard with no access panel, so nearly everything has to be disassembled to get to it. And there there's no part no. to order a new one, assuming I figure out how to pry it off.

Yeah, säyom isn't very agentive. But then neither is sänume. Though I must admit the justification for "food" is worse than for "idea" or "instruction"; säyom would perhaps more likely be "appetite" or "hunger", the abstraction that makes you eat. Perhaps tìyom could be used for both "food" and "meal", like "good eats" in English.

Prrton

Quote from: roger on March 02, 2010, 12:34:14 AM
No, but the rattling was so loud I couldn't hear myself think. Turns out it's mounted directly to the motherboard with no access panel, so nearly everything has to be disassembled to get to it. And there there's no part no. to order a new one, assuming I figure out how to pry it off.

Yeah, säyom isn't very agentive. But then neither is sänume. Though I must admit the justification for "food" is worse than for "idea" or "instruction"; säyom would perhaps more likely be "appetite" or "hunger", the abstraction that makes you eat. Perhaps tìyom could be used for both "food" and "meal", like "good eats" in English.

Tìyom sounds like "consumption" to me and that it could be extrapolated even to something along the lines of säspxin letìyom tokxä or säspxin tìyomä letokx.

wm.annis