Pseudo-canon from BD-Live content

Started by Prrton, November 17, 2010, 07:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prrton

From the Na'vi Language Lesson material:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zoë: Ma sute kempe si nga? Po spe'etu lu oeyä.

Laz: Fayvrrtep fìtsenge lu kxanì. Oel poti tspìyang fte tìkenong lìyevu ayla(he)ru.

Zoë: Ftang nga. Aungia lolu. Tsahìku(r) txele lu.

Wes: Poltxe oe san zene kea uniltìranyu ke ziva'u fìtseng fte (?*) po fìkelkur ke zoplo sivi. Oeri ta peyä fahew akewong ontu teya längu.

Zoë: Ma Sempul, pxaya atokirina' ne fìketuwong zìma'u. Zene Sa'nok fìaungiati ralpiveng.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is nothing really new here, of course, except some context for the vocabulary. I just found it especially interesting how zoplo is used. To me it's pseudo-canon because K. Pawl clearly wrote the dialogue, but it didn't make it into the movie and perhaps 'fto' really was a word at some point... (but it isn't now). Right?

wm.annis

Quote from: Prrton on November 17, 2010, 07:45:07 PMThere is nothing really new here, of course, except some context for the vocabulary.

Context is king!

We get to see za'u with ne, which is nice, and aungia with ral·peng.

What exactly does "BD-Live content" mean?  I need to cite these in the wiki dictionary.

Kemaweyan

Wou, irayo nìtxan! ;)

But why fte po fìkelkur ke zoplo sivi? I think it should be fteke fìkelkur zoplo sivi or fte fìkelkur zoplo ke sivi, kefyak? Also I can't understand why there is patientive case in zene Sa'nok fìaungiati ralpiveng :-\ I think, the verb ralpeng is intransitive ("ralit peng") and this phrase should be zene Sa'nok fìaungiari ralpiveng ???
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Seze

Quote from: wm.annis on November 17, 2010, 08:07:08 PM
What exactly does "BD-Live content" mean?  I need to cite these in the wiki dictionary.

BD-Live content is content that you get access to when you buy a blu-ray disc, but it is only available online and is not part of the actual blu-ray disc.  Basically, its just extra content that is only available via the internet.

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

wm.annis

Quote from: Kemaweyan on November 17, 2010, 08:37:51 PMI think, the verb ralpeng is intransitive ("ralit peng")

Why?  There's no reason some verb compounds cannot be transitive.

Quote from: Seze on November 17, 2010, 09:02:49 PMBD-Live content is content that you get access to when you buy a blu-ray disc, but it is only available online and is not part of the actual blu-ray disc.  Basically, its just extra content that is only available via the internet.

Oy.  How on earth does one give a citation for that, I wonder.

omängum fra'uti

I'd say same way you cite a special feature on a disk. It's accessed through the menus just like any other stuff, there's just an additional menu item that appears when it has internet access and it lets you select from more videos online.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Prrton

Quote from: Kemaweyan on November 17, 2010, 08:37:51 PM
Wou, irayo nìtxan! ;)

But why fte po fìkelkur ke zoplo sivi? I think it should be fteke fìkelkur zoplo sivi or fte fìkelkur zoplo ke sivi, kefyak? Also I can't understand why there is patientive case in zene Sa'nok fìaungiati ralpiveng :-\ I think, the verb ralpeng is intransitive ("ralit peng") and this phrase should be zene Sa'nok fìaungiari ralpiveng ???

I agree that some of it seems a bit under-baked. The context of the lessons is that they (Zoë, Laz, and Wes) are practicing (with Carla, not Paul) and it was a long time ago. That's another reason to consider it pseudo-canon. But, Zoë and Laz were in mo-cap gear, so it was after shooting had started. I think it was the first time that Wes was seeing his lines. Zoë and Laz were pretty good at it already.

omängum fra'uti

Was it just me, or did it sound like Frommer was coaching Laz (In the capturing avatar bit) to say "Fìketuwong ke nayome kevut"?

Prrton

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on November 17, 2010, 10:50:51 PM
Was it just me, or did it sound like Frommer was coaching Laz (In the capturing avatar bit) to say "Fìketuwong ke nayome kevut"?

YES. It does. I think that kevu or kewu that shifted to towards kevu (Indic/Thai influence?) could be a deprecated form. That's one of the reasons I think that the same might be true of *fto (>>> fte).

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: Prrton on November 17, 2010, 07:45:07 PM
  Zoë: Ma sute kempe si nga? Po spe'etu lu oeyä.

Isn't this the first time where we've seen a genitive separated from the thing being possessed like this? If so, would it be reasonable to assume it comes down to lu being special?
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

omängum fra'uti

Not the first time...

Fìtsenge lu awngeyä!

I'd take some of this VERY lightly though.  I was just watching this again and I noticed you can read the dialog sheets...  It is very clearly written...

Ma Tsu'tey, kempe si nga? Po spxetu lu oeyä!

eanayo

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on November 18, 2010, 02:09:12 AM
I was just watching this again and I noticed you can read the dialog sheets...  It is very clearly written...
Correct. It's written aylaru for the 2nd line, so that's for sure.

Also, there's also a line spoken by K. Pawl during the credits of Capturing Avatar (BD #2):
oeri Uniltìrantokxìl tìreyti leykolateiem nìtxan subtitled with Avatar has greatly changed my life for the better.

btw, where exactly does that kind of stuff go on our wiki? Corpus?

Visit Our Dictionary for eBook readers, The Na'vi Word Puzzle Game and the Cryptogram Generator
srake tsun pivlltxe san [ˈɔaχkat͡slʃwɔaf]?

wm.annis

Quote from: eanayo on November 18, 2010, 02:18:48 PMbtw, where exactly does that kind of stuff go on our wiki? Corpus?

Actually, the Na'vi from Avatar Movie page is probably the best place for these.

omängum fra'uti

Yeah I started putting up some of the deleted scene transcriptions as we got the previews...  For this, I was starting to add them as well but then I realized altered dialog is different than deleted scenes...  But it probably deserves to be included anyway.

tempfornow

I wish I could get the BD-Live to work on my software, but that's another story.

When Jake ends Tsu'tey's life in the extra SE/CE scene at the end, he recites what sounds like the following:

Oeru txoa livu, ma oeyä tsmukan, (??) sa'nok tirea.
Ngari hu eywa salew tirea,
tokx 'ì'awn ("your body stays behind")
slu Na'viyä hapxì  ("to become part of the people")

Were they planning on eating him as well?  :P

Ftiafpi

Quote from: tempfornow on December 02, 2010, 09:54:01 PM
I wish I could get the BD-Live to work on my software, but that's another story.

When Jake ends Tsu'tey's life in the extra SE/CE scene at the end, he recites what sounds like the following:

Oeru txoa livu, ma oeyä tsmukan, (??) sa'nok tirea.

Well they could also use that phrase to refer to the whole cycle of life. I.E. Dead body decays, plants use decay for fertilizer, people eat plants, rinse and repeat.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: tempfornow on December 02, 2010, 09:54:01 PM

Oeru txoa livu, ma oeyä tsmukan, Kivä set sa'nok-tirea[ne].

HRRH probably not.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

tempfornow

I listened carefully again with headphones and, yes, the swell of music and fade effect on Jake's voice makes the final utterance(s) almost indecipherable.  tokx 'ì'awn slu is quite clear however.  Na'viyä hapxì follows from earlier dialog and perhaps my mind is filling that in.  I believe the Na' syllable is discernible, but better ears than mine might have a crack at it.

Ekirä

Quote from: tempfornow on December 03, 2010, 10:27:19 PM
I listened carefully again with headphones and, yes, the swell of music and fade effect on Jake's voice makes the final utterance(s) almost indecipherable.  tokx 'ì'awn slu is quite clear however.  Na'viyä hapxì follows from earlier dialog and perhaps my mind is filling that in.  I believe the Na' syllable is discernible, but better ears than mine might have a crack at it.

Okay, so I've listened to it quite a few times trying to discern what he says--definitely not Na'viyä hapxì.

I believe--not sure, as Jake's pronouncing is not what I would call admirable--that he says slu na'rìng(a). What it really sounds like is su na'inya but forest actually does fit really well with what Jake could be saying.....kefyak?

Anyway, that's my guess. ;D

Muzer

Well, listen to the first time he says Na'viyä hapxì... doesn't sound much like what it should do.
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive