Got any questions for Paul?

Started by Tsyeymzi, November 21, 2010, 04:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Prrton on November 21, 2010, 11:47:05 AM
"I promised him that I will go tomorrow."

(A) Oe pänutolìng por tsara kä trray.

(B) Oel pänutolìng por tsata kä trray.
Well from the deleted scene we do have Netiriti fkol pänutolìng oeru so I'd imagine it is the second.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Prrton

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on November 21, 2010, 01:42:49 PM

Well from the deleted scene we do have Netiriti fkol pänutolìng oeru so I'd imagine it is the second.

I personally feel that it's transitive too, but it's totally a valid question and we can't know without asking him.

Puvomun

Quote from: Prrton on November 21, 2010, 01:45:25 PM
I personally feel that it's transitive too, but it's totally a valid question and we can't know without asking him.
Perhaps ask karyu Pawl's e-mail address? ;)  8)
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: wm.annis on November 21, 2010, 12:41:12 PM
Um.  Ma smuktu.  This is a chat over coffee, not a version of the Language Workshop for those living under the Southern Cross.  We already know he likes to go meditate about difficult questions. :) It might be best to stay simple.

My only question for him, until after the holidays pass, would be for the Na'vi equivalent of "uh, um" — what to say while you think about what you want to say.  I'd guess just e... or ì... based on the behavior of other languages, but who knows.

Okay, that's creepy.  I was just thinking about this.  My guess was ìm...—although rr... could be fun, and very Na'vi  ;D
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Kemaweyan

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on November 21, 2010, 01:42:49 PM

Yeah.. therefore this question appeared.. But I don't like that it would be transitive. As yomtìng - it's actually intransitive. But why pänutìng (there is the same scheme: noun + tìng) must be transitive?  :-\
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

omängum fra'uti

Well for one yom isn't a noun...

But yeah given his explanation of why yomtìng is intransitive, that does make it odd that pänutìng is transitive.  And THAT would be a good question.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Kemaweyan

Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Tsyeymzi

Um.  Ma smuktu.  This is a chat over coffee, not a version of the Language Workshop for those living under the Southern Cross.  We already know he likes to go meditate about difficult questions. :) It might be best to stay simple.

My only question for him, until after the holidays pass, would be for the Na'vi equivalent of "uh, um" — what to say while you think about what you want to say.  I'd guess just e... or ì... based on the behavior of other languages, but who knows.

Just woke up, thank you Annis. Yes, I really want to avoid a lot of Na'vi because, well I just want to talk to Paul, not Pawl. If you get what I mean. I'm sure wherever he goes now, he is bombarded with Na'vi questions, so I think it'll be refreshing for him to just have a regular - English - chat.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean we wont talk about Na'vi. There's probably 5 hours (give or take) until I meet up with him (at time of this post), so keep posting the more simple questions and I'll do my best to get them answered. I will have my phone on me, which is an Android, which means, if the topic comes up, I can pull up this topic and ask one of the more complex questions, but only if it comes past in conversation.

Sorry guys. Irayo ma Annis :P

On a side note, and Puvomun has already mentioned this: But why don't you email Paul? Sometimes he's pretty quick with these things. :)
- The Signature is a Lie -

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Kì'eyawn on November 21, 2010, 01:54:09 PM
Um.  Ma smuktu.  This is a chat over coffee, not a version of the Language Workshop for those living under the Southern Cross.  We already know he likes to go meditate about difficult questions. :) It might be best to stay simple.

My only question for him, until after the holidays pass, would be for the Na'vi equivalent of "uh, um" — what to say while you think about what you want to say.  I'd guess just e... or ì... based on the behavior of other languages, but who knows.

Okay, that's creepy.  I was just thinking about this.  My guess was ìm...—although rr... could be fun, and very Na'vi  ;D
Tì'efumì oeyä, I've been using ìììììììììììììì..., and as cool as something like "rrrrrrrrrr" would sound, it doesn't seem right.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

wm.annis

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on November 21, 2010, 03:41:26 PM
Tì'efumì oeyä, I've been using ìììììììììììììì..., and as cool as something like "rrrrrrrrrr" would sound, it doesn't seem right.

Yeah.  Cross culturally, mid-height vowels are very common if the filler is a noise instead of a word.  Some languages use words instead, usually weak demonstratives or things like "I mean, it means, etc."

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: wm.annis on November 21, 2010, 04:02:58 PM

Yeah.  Cross culturally, mid-height vowels are very common if the filler is a noise instead of a word.  Some languages use words instead, usually weak demonstratives or things like "I mean, it means, etc."

I've also seen a usage of "tse" for something like this in the Na'vi nìaw forum by Plumps, and perhaps other word-fillers are possible.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Prrton

Quote from: Kì'eyawn on November 21, 2010, 01:54:09 PM
Um.  Ma smuktu.  This is a chat over coffee, not a version of the Language Workshop for those living under the Southern Cross.  We already know he likes to go meditate about difficult questions. :) It might be best to stay simple.

My only question for him, until after the holidays pass, would be for the Na'vi equivalent of "uh, um" — what to say while you think about what you want to say.  I'd guess just e... or ì... based on the behavior of other languages, but who knows.

I fully support your wanting to socialize and not dish grammar, but it may be interesting to him that when you inquired what people wanted to ask, they had lots of questions about the language.

Enjoy your time with him, I hope it will be tons of fun for both of you.

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Tsyeymzi on November 21, 2010, 03:36:23 PM

Just woke up, thank you Annis. Yes, I really want to avoid a lot of Na'vi because, well I just want to talk to Paul, not Pawl. If you get what I mean. I'm sure wherever he goes now, he is bombarded with Na'vi questions, so I think it'll be refreshing for him to just have a regular - English - chat.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean we wont talk about Na'vi. There's probably 5 hours (give or take) until I meet up with him (at time of this post), so keep posting the more simple questions and I'll do my best to get them answered. I will have my phone on me, which is an Android, which means, if the topic comes up, I can pull up this topic and ask one of the more complex questions, but only if it comes past in conversation.

Sorry guys. Irayo ma Annis :P

On a side note, and Puvomun has already mentioned this: But why don't you email Paul? Sometimes he's pretty quick with these things. :)

HRH  ;D  Ngaru tìyawr, hìtxoa.  When the opportunity to ask Karyu Pawl a question arises i can get a little carried away  :D
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Carborundum

Quote from: Kì'eyawn on November 21, 2010, 04:58:19 PM
HRH  ;D  Ngaru tìyawr, hìtxoa.  When the opportunity to ask Karyu Pawl a question arises i the entire community can get a little carried away  :D
FTFY ;D
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Ngawng

29.f.australia

Orcakat

Sorry that this is a little late, chico... but if you could, would you mind asking him what his favorite foreign language (excluding Na'vi) is?

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

I have a couple!

I'd like to know if we will have a word for "breathe" soon. Also words for "shiny" (perhaps just a verb for "shine") and words to describe articles of clothing/jewelry. I mean, the Na'vi do have loin cloths, belts, headdresses, armbands, necklaces, bracelets, etc. but we have no words for any of it. I know there was a huge lexicon expansion done a while ago and I'm sure these words are on a list somewhere, but I haven't seen them in the dictionary.

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Tsyeymzi

DONE! That was awesome, Paul is a great guy. Shouted us a $100 lunch. We didn't talk about Na'vi much, we talked about Avatar in general more; and even then, the most common topic was actually food. Of the Earthen variety. He likes Asian cuisine very much. We ate Korean. It was nom nom nom :P

Quote from: Orcakat on November 21, 2010, 10:46:11 PM
Sorry that this is a little late, chico... but if you could, would you mind asking him what his favorite foreign language (excluding Na'vi) is?

Too slow! But, we did talk about languages and he said he really likes the dead languages: Latin, Ancient Greek; and he knows Middle English, which was cool... and a bit weird.

Quote from: Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on November 22, 2010, 12:08:11 AM
I have a couple!

I'd like to know if we will have a word for "breathe" soon. Also words for "shiny" (perhaps just a verb for "shine") and words to describe articles of clothing/jewelry. I mean, the Na'vi do have loin cloths, belts, headdresses, armbands, necklaces, bracelets, etc. but we have no words for any of it. I know there was a huge lexicon expansion done a while ago and I'm sure these words are on a list somewhere, but I haven't seen them in the dictionary.

-Txonä Rolyu

Damn, I could have asked these, but we'd already finished by then... Sorry...

Quote from: Puvomun on November 21, 2010, 05:00:52 AM
Tewti!! I jump immediately!
Na'vi has a word for writing (pamrel) but I have not found a word for reading yet. Is there one or will there be one?

(OME, you are really going to meet him? WOU!)

I DID get this one :) ... Paul said that no, there isn't a word for reading - but no, he didn't come up with one on the spot.

He did however, say he'll think about it and perhaps come up with a form of "To observe and gain information", his analogy was similar to "reading the forest". He used a Chinese example, because in Chinese, their word for "read" is basically "to look at the writing". Hopefully this gives you the information; and hopefully he'll come up with a word soon :)

As for all you guys having that massive debate somewhere in this thread (lol)... No, I didn't ask him, it's far too complex. I did bring up the fact that you guys were having a debate; and he said "tell them to email me, because the more complex questions I couldn't answer off the top of my head" (to paraphrase).

He laughed when he said "email", because yes, he knows he's slow. But he's been busy. Cut him some slack. :)

...and he signed my Activist Survival Guide. eeeee. :P
- The Signature is a Lie -

Le'eylan

Krro krro pamrel seri fìtsengmì, alu oey pìlok leNa'vi
Sometimes writing here, on my Na'vi blog
=^● ⋏ ●^=

Puvomun

Wou! So glad to 'hear' you had a great time! :D
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.