Some IPA News

Started by Taronyu, June 29, 2010, 07:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taronyu

So, I couldn't resist, and emailed Frommer with some questions. Here are the questions and the responses: they concern diphthong presentation, secondary stresses, and the u and ʊ distinction.

Quote from: Taronyu
I have a small question about the diphthongs. (Taken from a thread on LN:) Kemeoauniaea raised some good points in this thread, stating that my IPA notation of the diphthongs may not, in fact, be accurate. He, from his admittedly not-extensive look into IPA, would submit that:

[ ɛj ] [ aj ] [ ɛw ] [ aw ]

be replaced with

[ ɛɪ̯ ] [ aɪ̯ ] [ ɛʊ̯ ] [ aʊ̯ ] .

Note: Wikipedia: The diacritic <  ̯> is placed under the less prominent component to show that it is part of a diphthong rather than a separate vowel, though it is sometimes omitted in languages such as English, where there is not likely to be any confusion.

I initially had brushed this off as just differences in notation, but I think he actually has a really good point. The way I'm telling it now, there's no difference between 'e.wll and new. I think that the diphthong ought to be reflected and different: also compare yem and 'eyng.

So, I figured I'd ask you before I go through changing them, if this is what you envision the Na'vi sounds to sound more like. I know that you've said that:

Quote from: FrommerOpen syllables always use a tense "u" pronunciation.  Closed syllables can be either tense "u" or lax "ʊ".  There is no rule for which to use in closed syllables.  So tsun, for example, can be either "tsun" or "tsʊn", but "lu" is always "lu", never "lʊ".

So I wanted to make sure before I go through and possibly mess things up.

And his response! Very detailed, as always.

Quote from: FrommerSìpawm asìltsan.

There's variation in how people use IPA to transcribe diphthongs.

Kemeoauniaea is right that most transcribers seem to use the vowel+vowel method (with or without the diacritic under the second element in the case of "falling" diphthongs). But [aw], [aj], etc. are also used. Note what the Wikipedia "Diphthong" article says:

"The less prominent component in the diphthong may also be transcribed as an approximant, thus [aj] in eye and [ja] in yard. However, when the diphthong is analysed as a single phoneme, both elements are often transcribed with vowel letters (/aɪ̯/, /ɪ̯a/)."

A well-known textbook for students in introductory linguistics classes, Edward Finegan's "Language: Its Structure and Use," uses the vowel+approximant method, as I tend to do myself. I spoke to Ed about this, and he said he had considered using vowel plus vowel but decided against it.

So the bottom line is that [aj], [aw], [ej], and [ew] are used by some if not all professional linguists in an IPA context; the way you currently have it is justified.

That being said, you and Kemeoauniaea raise a valid point about possible ambiguities in transcription in certain circumstances. A clear example, I think, would be:

maweya ikran

If you transcribe the first word as [maweja], without showing the syllable boundaries, it's not clear whether the structure is (with D=diphthong) CVCVCV, CVCDA, CDVCA, or CDDA. (It's intended to be CVCDA, of course.) If you include the syllable boundaries, however, the ambiguity disappears: [ma.wej.a] can only be CVCDA. Same for 'ewll. It's true that [?ewll] is ambiguous, but if you insert the correct syllable boundary--[?e.wll]--then it's clear that ew is not a diphthong.

So it's really up to you. Either method is, I think, fine, as long as you've indicated the syllable boundaries. Perhaps the easiest solution would be to include a brief note somewhere, saying something like: "An alternate method of transcribing diphthongs, not use here, is . . . " and then illustrate the 2-vowel method.

As for your statement about the transcription of u, it's correct. In a word like tsun, some speakers will use the tense and others the lax pronunciation.

In a follow up email, I asked him for stress information about the following words that have two stress marks, because I've been wondering for ages which was the secondary and which was primary.

Quote from: Frommer
Eywa Ngahu <<< I've included this, because it would presumably be said a single intonational phrase, and might have secondary stress. I may be wrong.
Eywa'eveng <<< Shoudn't this have two, being a compound polysllabic word?
iknimaya <<< Please, was there ever a derived form *ik sky or *maya heaven, or perhaps mountain (which we don't have a word for!)
meoauniaea
palulukan
talioang
tireafya'o <<< presumable main on RE
tireapängkxo <<< presumably main on RE as well
Uniltaron

And here is his response!

Primary vs. secondary stress:

In Eywa ngahu, the two stresses are equal.

Eywa'eveng: Yes, you're right: secondary stress on Ey, primary on 'e.

For the others:

In talioang and the two tirea- words, the first stress is primary.

In all the others, it's the second stress that's primary.

As for iknimaya, that's a James Cameron word, and I don't know its derivation

What a good day. ˆ____________ˆ

ta Taronyu

Kemaweyan

Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Taronyu on June 29, 2010, 07:11:45 PM
So it's really up to you. Either method is, I think, fine, as long as you've indicated the syllable boundaries. Perhaps the easiest solution would be to include a brief note somewhere, saying something like: "An alternate method of transcribing diphthongs, not use here, is . . . " and then illustrate the 2-vowel method.

I agree with Frommer here.  Also if {aj}, {aw}, {ɛj}, and {ɛw} really mean {aɪ}, {aʊ}, {ɛɪ}, and {ɛʊ}, then you could notify the reader about that at the beginning of the dictionary of the transcriptions used so that phonetic misinformation is not given out.
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Taronyu

Quote from: ll.sxkxawng on June 29, 2010, 07:41:01 PM

I agree with Frommer here.  Also if {aj}, {aw}, {ɛj}, and {ɛw} really mean {aɪ}, {aʊ}, {ɛɪ}, and {ɛʊ}, then you could notify the reader about that at the beginning of the dictionary of the transcriptions used so that phonetic misinformation is not given out.

Go look at the second page of the dictionary. ;)

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Taronyu on June 29, 2010, 07:46:22 PM
Quote from: ll.sxkxawng on June 29, 2010, 07:41:01 PM

I agree with Frommer here.  Also if {aj}, {aw}, {ɛj}, and {ɛw} really mean {aɪ}, {aʊ}, {ɛɪ}, and {ɛʊ}, then you could notify the reader about that at the beginning of the dictionary of the transcriptions used so that phonetic misinformation is not given out.

Go look at the second page of the dictionary. ;)

Nang nga lu win!  Nice update ;)
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Taronyu

Nah, I did that this afternoon, before I knew if I could post this email or not. Hrh.

Kì'eyawn

Ma Taronyu, do we know if this stress information holds for the other "Unil-" compounds?  i.e., Uniltìranyu, Uniltìrantokx?
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

okrìsti

tsaw oeyä eltur tìtxen si
Added it to wiki.
There are no other single words matching to \[[^\]]*ˈ[^\]]*ˈ[^\]]*\] (IPAs with two primary stresses).

This unil-compound question is interesting, but compare for example way and telem becomes waytelem or both pongu-compounds, hm...
dA | nga tsun oehu pivlltxe fa skype: c4duser
awngeyä wìki sìltsan lu
txopu lu fya'o ne vawma pa'o – nawma karyu Yotxa

Lrrtoksì nìhawng

Tewti! Fì'u txantsana fmawn leiu!

By dumb luck, I was pronouncing these correctly the whole time. It gives me that warm fuzzy feeling. :D Since it's important to show the syllable boundaries anyway, I'd be inclined to go with that method along with Frommer's suggestion about having a note explaining the alternate method for treating dipthongs. As for the iknimaya question, I remember hearing it pronounced as iknimaya in an interview. I want to say it was James Cameron but it could have been someone else associated with the movie.
Eywa hangham fa aysyulang.

Taronyu

Quote from: tigermind on June 29, 2010, 08:15:08 PM
Ma Taronyu, do we know if this stress information holds for the other "Unil-" compounds?  i.e., Uniltìranyu, Uniltìrantokx?

No, we don't. But Frommer has never given us two stresses for those.

kewnya txamew'itan

I never said your notation wasn't accurate, just that it was the minority transcription from what I'd seen.

Whatever, we've got a Frommerian carte blanche so that's good.

On an unrelated side-note, as regards u, closed syllables include those without an onset if I understand correctly so uvan and unil (and derivatives) could both take the lax pronunciation ko? The only reason I ask is that I had though that the pseudo-vowels were only allowed in open syllables but then found out that they had to have an onset so I'm just checking that when we say closed we actually mean closed and not something broadly similar as we did with open syllable ll and rr.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Taronyu

Quote from: kemeoauniaea on June 30, 2010, 03:39:51 AM
I never said your notation wasn't accurate, just that it was the minority transcription from what I'd seen.

Whatever, we've got a Frommerian carte blanche so that's good.

On an unrelated side-note, as regards u, closed syllables include those without an onset if I understand correctly so uvan and unil (and derivatives) could both take the lax pronunciation ko? The only reason I ask is that I had though that the pseudo-vowels were only allowed in open syllables but then found out that they had to have an onset so I'm just checking that when we say closed we actually mean closed and not something broadly similar as we did with open syllable ll and rr.

Sorry man! Must have misread.

And I don't know about open syllables. I always thought that onsets didn't matter, but I'm not sure.

wm.annis

Quote from: Taronyu on June 30, 2010, 03:45:16 AMAnd I don't know about open syllables. I always thought that onsets didn't matter, but I'm not sure.

I am.  :)  Onsets don't matter for determining if a syllable is open or closed, only a coda.

omängum fra'uti

For rr and ll, frommer does not only explain their structure in terms of requiring an open syllable.  Rather he describes them as taking the place of the vowel in CV syllables specifically.  So the required onset is just the nature of the psuedovowel syllables.  (It just so happens that also means they must be open syllables, but it is not the defining feature.)
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on June 30, 2010, 07:35:35 AM
For rr and ll, frommer does not only explain their structure in terms of requiring an open syllable.  Rather he describes them as taking the place of the vowel in CV syllables specifically.  So the required onset is just the nature of the psuedovowel syllables.  (It just so happens that also means they must be open syllables, but it is not the defining feature.)

Ok, so it was just me reading a flawed explanation. This would mean that uvan could be pronounced with a lax u then if Frommer's always used the terms properly.

The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

learnnavi's

wm.annis

Quote from: kemeoauniaea on June 30, 2010, 07:39:37 AMOk, so it was just me reading a flawed explanation. This would mean that uvan could be pronounced with a lax u then if Frommer's always used the terms properly.

No, no, uvan needs tense /u/.  Remember, /v/ can never be a coda in Na'vi.  It must be syllabified u.van.

Taronyu

Quote from: kemeoauniaea on June 30, 2010, 07:39:37 AM

Ok, so it was just me reading a flawed explanation. This would mean that uvan could be pronounced with a lax u then if Frommer's always used the terms properly.

No, because uvan splits u.van. Ul.te, on the other hand, works.

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: wm.annis on June 30, 2010, 07:42:18 AM
Quote from: kemeoauniaea on June 30, 2010, 07:39:37 AMOk, so it was just me reading a flawed explanation. This would mean that uvan could be pronounced with a lax u then if Frommer's always used the terms properly.

No, no, uvan needs tense /u/.  Remember, /v/ can never be a coda in Na'vi.  It must be syllabified u.van.

Gah! Forgot that.

Unil though can be lax then?

Quote from: Taronyu on June 30, 2010, 07:47:12 AM
Quote from: kemeoauniaea on June 30, 2010, 07:39:37 AM

No, because uvan splits u.van. Ul.te, on the other hand, works.

I really need to remember about v, s, f, z, h and ts.

learnnavi's

wm.annis

Quote from: kemeoauniaea on June 30, 2010, 07:51:37 AMUnil though can be lax then?

It looks like Frommer syllabifies this /u.nil/ (accent on the first syllable), so again tense /u/ here.

Muzer

U.nil does seem the most natural way of saying it. I think I read somewhere that most Na'vi tends to "want to" fall into a CV.CV.CV pattern, and usually does so unless the rules prohibit it.
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive