The Reflexive and "My name is..." (from a Frommer email!!!!)

Started by Tseyk Tìriuä, February 01, 2010, 06:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roger

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on February 02, 2010, 04:39:35 AM
We know as much about the participle now as we did then though.  The only thing we know now that we didn't know then is how subjunctive and tense meld, and what the reflexive infix is.  The rest we either had a correct assumption about or still don't know.  The participle being pre-first, for example, is based on a statement from Frommer that is unclear at best.
But we now have the reflexive in pre-1st, and we know how and when to use that -- at least in clear cases.

omängum fra'uti

Right, but we KNEW reflexive was pre-first already, we just didn't know what the infix was or how to use it.  So reserving a spot JUST for something we didn't even know seems a little silly.  The participle MAY be pre-first, but it may also be first.  We know the infix, but we don't know the details of it's use, so again reserving a spot for it seems a little silly.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Taronyu

Quote from: Tseyk Tìriuä on February 01, 2010, 09:44:21 PM
I'm sure it will be added shortly (they are good with this kind of stuff).

Cheers.

I'll put this in mine later. Got stuff to do, currently.

kewnya txamew'itan

I knew I should have read the second page of this thread before checking to see if it was in the dictionary.  :-[

Sorry, I posted this in the dictionary thread.

Anyway, squueeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! Three more idioms!!!!!
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Tseyk Tìriuä

I didn't want to bombard Frommer with 50 questions those confused about infixes.  For now this is a gold mine of information. xD

Tengkrr tìsngä'i Yawäl peyä tsenget ulte kifkey Yawä'evangäti ngamop.

Kì'eyawn

Okay, so i have a question about using the reflexive:  Any thoughts on how we would differentiate between "we see ourselves" vs. "we see each other"?
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

roger

Quote from: tigermind on February 05, 2010, 08:55:47 PM
Okay, so i have a question about using the reflexive:  Any thoughts on how we would differentiate between "we see ourselves" vs. "we see each other"?

That's the $64 question.

Keylstxatsmen

Quote from: tigermind on February 05, 2010, 08:55:47 PM

Hmmmm, I don't think that "we see each other" is reflexive, it's reciprocal.  Until we have a formation for "each other" or "one another", I think you'll just have to spell it out, i.e:

Oel ngati kame ulte/tengfya/tengkrr ngal oeti kame. or something like that.

-Keyl

Oeru lì'fya leNa'vi prrte' leiu nìtxan! 

Txo nga new leskxawnga tawtutehu nìNa'vi pivängkxo, oeru 'upxaret fpe' ulte ngaru srungit tayìng oel.  Faylì'ut alor nume 'awsiteng ko!

Tseyk Tìriuä

We see each other isn't reflexive...this is for things like "we see ourselves" only.

Kì'eyawn

Okay, okay, reciprocal is not reflexive--don't shoot the neuro student =)
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Tseyk Tìriuä

roger

Quote from: tigermind on February 06, 2010, 10:16:59 AM
Okay, okay, reciprocal is not reflexive--don't shoot the neuro student =)

But there are plenty of languages that use it as one. That might be a little too European to be in Na'vi, but you never know.

Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan

Tseyk Tìriuä