Transcribing Paul Frommer's Message to the Na'tion.

Started by Mirri, January 22, 2010, 05:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirri

I'm not sure if anyone beat me to it, but I tried to transcribe Pawl's letter. It was good practice anyway :)

Hopefully someone can help fill in the gaps.

Ay-eylan-ur     oe-yä   sì     eylan-ur       lì'fya-yä      le-Na'vi      nì-wotx:
PLU-friend-DAT   I-GEN   and   PLU-friend-DAT   language-GEN   ADJ-Na'vi    ADJ-all of
To all my friends and friends of the Na'vi language:

Oe-l     ay-nga-ti    kam<ei>e, ma   oe-yä     eylan,     ulte    ay-nga-ru     s<ei>yi    irayo.
I-ERG   PLU-you-ACC   See<LAUD>, VOC  I-GEN   PLU-friend   and   PLU-you-DAT  v.do<LAUD>  thank.
I See you, my friends, and I thank you.

Fp<ol>e'     ay-nga-l     oe-r    fì-txan      nì-ftxavang      a     'upxare-t    st<ol>awm    oe-l.
v.send<PFV>  PLU-you-ERG  I-DAT   this-great   ADV-passionate   that   message-ACC   v.hear<PFV>  I-ERG
I have heard the message you have sent me so passionately.

Lì'fya-ri      le-Na'vi   oe-l    'efu      ay-nge-yä     tìyawn-it.
Language-TOP   ADJ-Na'vi   I-ERG   v.feel   PLU-you-GEN     n.love-ACC.
I feel your love for the Na'vi language.

Ulte   omum    oe-l     fu-t-a        tì-fyawìntxu-ri  oe-yä    p<er>ey      ay-nga    nì-wotx.
And   v.know   I-ERG  this-ACC-that   NOUN-guide-TOP   I-GEN   v.wait<IMFV>  PLU-you   ADV-all
And I know you are all waiting for my guidance.

Sp<iv>aw       oe-ti   rutxe,    ma    oe-yä     eylan:    oe   new     nì-txan    ay-nga-ru   fyaw<iv>ìntxu.
v.believe<SJV>  I-ACC  v.please,  VOC    I-GEN   PLU-friend:  I  v.want  ADV-great  PLU-you-DAT   v.guide<SJV>
Please believe me, my friends: I want very much to guide you.

Slä   nì-awn-omum,   zene    oe  'awsiteng   tì-kangkem    s<iv>i       fo-hu     a    Uniltìrantokx-it   sì    kifkey-it   Eywa'eveng-ä     zam<ol>unge    aw-nga-r.
But  ADJ-one-know,  v.must   I   together    NOUN-work   v.do<SJV>   they-with  that     Avatar-ACC      and   world-ACC   Eywa-child-GEN    bring<PFV>     one-you-DAT
But as you know, I must work together with those who have brought us "Avatar" and the world of Pandora.

Fo-ru     'upxare-t      oe-l     fp<ol>e',   slä   vay   set  ke  p<am>äh<äng>em      kea      tì'eyng.
they-DAT  n.message-ACC  I-ERG   v.send<PFV>,  but  until   now  no  v.arrive<PST><PEJ>  no-ADJ  NOUN-v.answer
I have sent them a message, but up to now no answer has arrived.

Nì-ay-nga   oe    p<er>ey      nì-teng.
ADV-PLU-you  I    v.wait<IMFV>  ADV-same
Like you, I too am waiting.

Tì'eyng-it      oe-l       t<ol>el       a     krr,    ay-nga-ru     p<ay>eng,
NOUN-answer-ACC   I-ERG   v.receive<PFV>  that   time   PLU-you-DAT   tell<FUT>
When I receive an answer, I will let you know,

tsa-krr     p<ay>e'un     swey-a    fya'o-t    a     zam<iv>unge   oe-l     ay-nga-r     ay-lì'u-t      horen-ti-sì         lì'fya-yä    le-Na'vi.
that-time   v.decide<FUT>  best-ADJ  way-ACC   that   v.bring<SJV>  I-ERG   PLU-you-DAT   PLU-word-ACC   PLU-rule-ACC-and   language-GEN  ADJ-Na'vi.
and I will then decide the best way to bring you the words and rules of Na'vi.

Sìlpey   oe,  l<ay>u    oe-ru   ye'rìn   sìltsan-a  fmawn    a     tsun   oe   ay-nga-ru     t<iv>ìng.
v.hope   I,  v.be<FUT>  I-DAT    soon     good-ADJ  news   that   v.can   I   PLU-you-GEN   v.give<SJV>
I hope I will soon have good news to give you.

Ay-lì'u-fa     aw-nge-yä        'eylanä      a-'ewan   Markusì   ta   Ngalwey . . .   '<Iv>ong      Na'vi!
PLU-word-per  one-you(DEF)-GEN   friend-GEN  ADJ-young   Markus  from   Galway . . . v.blossom<SJV>  Na'vi!
In the words of our young friend Markus from Galway . . . Let Na'vi bloom!

Kìyevame   ulte   Eywa   nga-hu.
Goodbye    and    Eywa  you-with.
Goodbye for now, and may Eywa be with you.

Ta   'eylan     karyu-sì        ay-nge-yä,      Pawl.
From   friend   n.teach-and    PLU-you(DEF)-GEN,  Paul.
Your friend and teacher, Paul.

Edited: Thanks guys!
Ngaya poanìl new mune 'uti: hrrap sì uvan. Talun poanìl new ayfoeti -- ayfo lu lehrrap ayu leuvan.

wisnij

Quote from: Mirri on January 22, 2010, 05:59:06 PM
  tsa-krr     p<ay>e'un     sweya     fya'o-t    a     zam<iv>unge   oe-l   ay-ngar   ay-lì'u-t     horen-ti-sì       lì'fya-yä    le-Na'vi.
that-time   v.decide<FUT> ADJ-best   way-ACC   that   v.bring<SJV>  I-ERG   PLU-?   PLU-word-ACC   rule-ACC-NOUN?   language-GEN  ADJ-Na'vi.
and I will then decide the best way to bring you the words and rules of Na'vi.

Ta   'eylan     karyu-sì          ay-nge-yä,      Pawl.
From   friend   v.teach-NOUN?    PLU-you(DEF)-GEN,  Paul.
Your friend and teacher, Paul.[/tt]

I think both of these cases with -sì are using it as "and":

ay-lì'u-thoren-ti-sì
PL-word-ACCPL-rule-ACC-and
words and rules

'eylankaryu-sì
friendteacher-and
friend and teacher
Wé cildra biddaþ þé, éalá láréow, þæt þú taéce ús sprecan rihte, forþám ungelaérede wé sindon, and gewæmmodlíce we sprecaþ.

wm.annis

ayngar would be more fully ayngaru.  It's a short dative.

roger

A couple copy-edit probs
(nì-ftxavang is an ADV; nì-wotx: ADV-all; 'upxare-t: message-ACC; fu-t-a (need to break up if gloss is broken up); sweya: best-ADJ)

Otherwise,
Why analyze vay as FUT? That would mean the root is "v". I don't think that's possible, unless it's a contraction..
horen-ti-sì is plural; the root is koren

Mirri

Quote from: roger on January 22, 2010, 11:41:44 PM
A couple copy-edit probs
(nì-ftxavang is an ADV; nì-wotx: ADV-all; 'upxare-t: message-ACC; fu-t-a (need to break up if gloss is broken up); sweya: best-ADJ)

Otherwise,
Why analyze vay as FUT? That would mean the root is "v". I don't think that's possible, unless it's a contraction..
horen-ti-sì is plural; the root is koren

Thanks, fixed it all. Could you explain the horen-ti-sì thing to me? How is it plural?

Also, can you explain the red words, those are the ones that don't make sense to me.
Ngaya poanìl new mune 'uti: hrrap sì uvan. Talun poanìl new ayfoeti -- ayfo lu lehrrap ayu leuvan.

kewnya txamew'itan

Quote from: Mirri on January 23, 2010, 04:58:00 AM
Thanks, fixed it all. Could you explain the horen-ti-sì thing to me? How is it plural?

It's a short plural of koren-ti-sì. Because ay- causes lenition it can be dropped.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Mirri

Quote from: kawngä mungeyu on January 23, 2010, 05:46:45 AM

It's a short plural of koren-ti-sì. Because ay- causes lenition it can be dropped.

Oh yeah, that thing. One of the contributing factors, along with infixes, that makes Na'vi impossible to decipher  :P

roger

Also, can you explain the red words, those are the ones that don't make sense to me.
Sure.
nìawnomum: no-one understands what the awn is. Most likely it's a contraction of some sort, and maybe there's an aynga in there or s.t.
awnga-r: awnga and ayoeng ("ayweng") are both contractions of *ayoenga. Awnga is a syllable shorter when inflectional endings are added.
'eylan sì karyu = 'eylan karyu-sì: "friend and teacher": like the adpositions, the 'and' can go before or after the noun.

Na'rìghawnu

Here is my transcript. There are some (minor) differences to the one Mirri made, e. g. the genitive of pronouns is not just -yä, but always -eyä; furthermore as confirmed by Frommer, yawn is NOT the verb "to love", and tìkangkem cannot be broken down to *kangkem as the verb "work". There are some more little differences, so if you want to, please have a look.

---

Ayeylanur oeyä sì eylanur lì'fyayä leNa'vi nìwotx:
Ay-eylan-ur      o-eyä   sì     Ø-eylanur        lì'fya-yä           leNa'vi        nì-wotx:
PL-friend-DAT   1-GEN  and  PL-friend-DAT   language-GEN   ADJ-Na'vi    ADV-all

Oel ayngati kameie, ma oeyä eylan, ulte ayngaru seiyi irayo.
Oe-l     ay-nga-ti    kam<ei>e,        ma    o-eyä   Ø-eylan,   ulte   ay-nga-ru   s<eiy>i=irayo.
1-ERG   PL-2-ACC   see<APPROB>,   VOC  1-GEN  PL-friend,  and   PL-2-DAT   make<APPROB>=thanks.

Fpole' ayngal oer fìtxan nìftxavang a 'upxaret stolawm oel.
Fp<ol>e'      ay-nga-l    oe-r      fì-txan         nì-ftxavang     a         'upxare-t         st<ol>awm    oel     
send<PFV>  PL-2-ERG   1-DAT   PROX-much   ADV-passion   ATTR   message-ACC  hear<PFV>     1-ERG.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi oel 'efu ayngeyä tìyawnit.
Lì'fya-ri            le-Na'vi       oel       'efu   ay-ng-eyä   tìyawn-it.
language-TOP   ADJ-Na'vi    1-ERG   feel   PL-2-GEN    NMLZ-beloved-ACC.

Ulte omum oel futa tìfyawìntxuri oeyä perey aynga nìwotx.
Ulte  omum   oel       f=u-t-a                        tì-fyawìntxu-ri      o-eyä    p<er>ey          ay-nga   nì-wotx.
and   know    1-ERG   PROX=thing-ACC-ATTR  NMLZ-guide-TOP   1-GEN   wait<IPFV>  PL-2       ADV-all.

Spivaw oeti rutxe, ma oeyä eylan: oe new nìtxan ayngaru fyawivìntxu.
Sp<iv>aw                 oe-ti    rutxe,   ma    o-eyä   Ø-eylan:   oe  new   nì-txan        ay-nga-ru  fyaw<iv>ìntxu.
believe<SUBJ:IUSS>  1-ACC  please,  VOC  1-GEN  PL-friend:  1   want  PROX-much  PL-2-DAT  guide<SUBJ>.

Slä nìawnomum, zene oe 'awsiteng tìkangkem sivi fohu a
Slä   nì-awn-omum,             zene   oe   'awsiteng  tìkangkem=s<iv>i     Ø-fo=hu     a
but   ADV-PL.1.INCL-know,   must   1    together    work=make<SUBJ>   PL-3=with   ATTR

Uniltìrantokxit sì kifkeyit Eywa'evengä zamolunge awngar.
Uniltìrantokx-it   sì       kifkey-it      Eywa='eveng-ä     zam<ol>unge   awnga-r.
Avatar-ACC        and     world-ACC   Eywa=child-GEN   bring<PFV>      PL.1.INCL-DAT.   

Foru 'upxaret oel fpole', slä vay set ke pamähängem kea tì'eyng.
Ø-fo-ru     'upxare-t           oel       fp<ol>e',     slä  vay   set   ke    p<am>äh<äng>em  ke-a          tì-'eyng.
PL-3-DAT   message-ACC   1-ERG   send<PFV>, but  until now  NEG  arrive<PST><PEJ>   NEG-ATTR  NMLZ-respond.

Nìaynga oe perey nìteng.
Nì-ay-nga  oe   p<er>ey       nì-teng.
ADV-PL-2   1    wait<IPFV>   ADV-same.

Tì'eyngit oel tolel a krr, ayngaru payeng, tsakrr paye'un sweya fya'ot a
Tì-'eyng-it              oel       t<ol>el           a       krr,    ay-nga-ru  p<ay>eng,   tsa-krr
NMLZ-respond-ACC  1-ERG  recieve<IPFV>  ATTR  time, PL-2-DAT   tell<FUT>    DIST-time

paye'un sweya fya'ot a zamivunge oel ayngar
p<ay>e'un      swey-a      fya'o-t     a        zam<iv>unge  oel       ay-nga-r
decide<FUT>  best-ATTR  way-ACC  ATTR  bring<SUBJ>    1-ERG   PL-2-DAT

aylì'ut horentisì lì'fyayä leNa'vi.
ay-lì'u-t         Ø-horen-ti=sì       lì'fya-yä          le-Na'vi.
PL-word-ACC  and=PL-rule-ACC  language-GEN  ADJ-Na'vi.

Sìlpey oe, layu oeru ye'rìn sìltsan a fmawn a tsun oe ayngaru tivìng.
Sìlpey  oe,  l<ay>u         oe-ru    ye'rìn   sìltsan-a     fmawn   a        tsun     oe  ay-nga-ru  t<iv>ìng.
hope    1,   EXIST<FUT>  1-DAT   soon    good-ATTR  news     ATTR  be.able  1   PL-2-DAT   give<SUBJ>.

Aylì'ufa awngeyä 'eylanä a'ewan Markusì ta Ngalwey . . .
Ay-lì'u=fa         awng-eyä         'eylan-ä        a-'ewan        Markusì       ta       Ngalwey...
PL-word=with   PL.1.INCL-GEN   friend-GEN    ATTR-young  Markus(NP)  from    Galway(NP)...

'Ivong Na'vi!
'<Iv>ong                Na'vi!
bloom<SUBJ:OPT>   Na'vi

Kìyevame ulte Eywa ngahu.
Kìyevame  ulte   Eywa        nga=hu.
good.bye   and   Eywa(NP)  2=with.

Ta 'eylan karyusì ayngeyä, Pawl.
Ta    'eylan  karyu=sì        ay-ng-eyä, Pawl.
from  friend  and=teacher  PL-2-GEN,  Paul(NP).

Keylstxatsmen

Quote from: Na'rìghawnu on January 23, 2010, 07:50:37 AM
Here is my transcript. There are some (minor) differences to the one Mirri made, e. g. the genitive of pronouns is not just -yä, but always -eyä;

That's a little strange I think.  oe = I,  oeyä = my. So in that case it's only adding a -yä.  It changes the nga to nge when it attaches, but that should be marked a sound change rather than the cut off of the pronoun.

-Keyl
Oeru lì'fya leNa'vi prrte' leiu nìtxan! 

Txo nga new leskxawnga tawtutehu nìNa'vi pivängkxo, oeru 'upxaret fpe' ulte ngaru srungit tayìng oel.  Faylì'ut alor nume 'awsiteng ko!

Mirri

Quote from: Keylstxatsmen on January 23, 2010, 10:04:51 AM
Here is my transcript. There are some (minor) differences to the one Mirri made, e. g. the genitive of pronouns is not just -yä, but always -eyä;

That's a little strange I think.  oe = I,  oeyä = my. So in that case it's only adding a -yä.  It changes the nga to nge when it attaches, but that should be marked a sound change rather than the cut off of the pronoun.

-Keyl

I think the point is that you cannot have oeeyä, so the duplicate e merges into a single one.

Na'rìghawnu

QuoteThat's a little strange I think.  oe = I,  oeyä = my. So in that case it's only adding a -yä.  It changes the nga to nge when it attaches, but that should be marked a sound change rather than the cut off of the pronoun.

Well, maybe. But this sound-change appears regulary in all pronouns and only in pronouns.

So we get: oeyä, ngeyä, peyä.

In oeyä it could be just oe+yä.
In ngeyä it would change an "a" to "e": nga + yä > ngeyä.
In peyä it would change an "o" to "e": po + yä > peyä.

So this are different sounds all changed to "e" ... thus I think, -eyä could be seen also as genitive suffix used in pronouns rather than -yä as genitive suffix causing in pronouns (and only there!) the changing of every preceding sound to "e".

QuoteI think the point is that you cannot have oeeyä, so the duplicate e merges into a single one.

Yes, seems ok to me.

Keylstxatsmen

Quote from: Mirri on January 23, 2010, 10:16:48 AM
Quote from: Keylstxatsmen on January 23, 2010, 10:04:51 AM

-Keyl

I think the point is that you cannot have oeeyä, so the duplicate e merges into a single one.

Good point, although it still seems weird to me that the last letter gets taken away when *-eyä is added to the end of some pronouns, since this deletion doesn't happen anywhere else in the language.  I would still say it is a sound change, and not a different ending.

-Keyl
Oeru lì'fya leNa'vi prrte' leiu nìtxan! 

Txo nga new leskxawnga tawtutehu nìNa'vi pivängkxo, oeru 'upxaret fpe' ulte ngaru srungit tayìng oel.  Faylì'ut alor nume 'awsiteng ko!

Mirri

Here is my transcript. There are some (minor) differences to the one Mirri made, e. g. the genitive of pronouns is not just -yä, but always -eyä; furthermore as confirmed by Frommer, yawn is NOT the verb "to love", and tìkangkem cannot be broken down to *kangkem as the verb "work". There are some more little differences, so if you want to, please have a look.

Ayeylanur oeyä sì eylanur lì'fyayä leNa'vi nìwotx:
Ay-eylan-ur      o-eyä   sì     Ø-eylanur        lì'fya-yä           leNa'vi        nì-wotx:
PL-friend-DAT   1-GEN  and  PL-friend-DAT   language-GEN   ADJ-Na'vi    ADV-all

I think I need a legend to decipher that  ???
Half of it is in German and there's grammar terms there I've never seen before. (APPROB, NMLZ?)

I'm curious as how you conclude that ayeylan and eylan are both plural? There's no lenition there.

wm.annis

Quote from: Mirri on January 23, 2010, 10:36:23 AMI'm curious as how you conclude that ayeylan and eylan are both plural? There's no lenition there.

The word is 'eylan — note the glottal stop at the start.  Lenited glottal stop disappears.

Mirri

Quote from: Keylstxatsmen on January 23, 2010, 10:35:27 AM

Good point, although it still seems weird to me that the last letter gets taken away when *-eyä is added to the end of some pronouns, since this deletion doesn't happen anywhere else in the language.  I would still say it is a sound change, and not a different ending.

I agree it's more of a sound change on pronouns. Normally when vowels clash in other words, Na'vi tends to add another one instead of removing any.

Mirri

Quote from: wm.annis on January 23, 2010, 10:39:26 AM
Quote from: Mirri on January 23, 2010, 10:36:23 AMI'm curious as how you conclude that ayeylan and eylan are both plural? There's no lenition there.

The word is 'eylan — note the glottal stop at the start.  Lenited glottal stop disappears.

That's just cheating. How do you hear a glottal stop at the beginning of a word? That's like inserting silence into more silence.

Na'rìghawnu

QuoteHalf of it is in German and there's grammar terms there I've never seen before. (APPROB, NMLZ?)

Sorry, I did this in my mothertongue and tried to change all German for this post. Will relook about it after dinner to remove all left German.

The abbreviations:
APPROB = approbative = positive attitude
NMLZ = nominalized

Na'rìghawnu

QuoteThat's just cheating. How do you hear a glottal stop at the beginning of a word? That's like inserting silence into more silence.

Please, read Frommer Language Log article. He clearly states, that lenitation for the glottis-sound results in disappearing of this sound.
Besides that: the glottis-stop isn't silent!

Na'rìghawnu

@Keyl

Quotesince this deletion doesn't happen anywhere else in the language.

Deletion of vocals in compounds appear a lot in Na'vi!
If you want to, I'll give you examples (after my dinner).