Kelutral aKe’aw

Started by Plumps, May 15, 2010, 04:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plumps

Ma eylan,

early in March I wrote a little story, named »Kelutral aKe'aw«, in which I used these words:

ke'aw adj. = divided, torn apart, strife-ridden
sti adv. = angrily

With the tremendous help of Prrton, the story is, firstly, in its final form and can be read and listened to HERE. Secondly these words got to Karyu Pawl and he approved of both words:

Quote from: Paul Frommer, 7 May, 2010I'll be delighted to give my blessing to ke'aw for "divided." Very nice. I agree that with the morphemes intact as they are here, it's an appropriate way to express division. As for the stress, I went back and forth, since either way could be justified. But I finally decided on ultimate stress: ke'AW. Most (but not all) of the ke-based words (kawkrr, ke'u, kawtu, etc.) are stressed on the first syllable; stressing ke'aw on the second seems in keeping with the special (unmerged) quality of the word.

NìSTI is fine for "angrily."

Thanks again so much, ma Prrton, for the effort and the hope you put into this.
I hope you all enjoy the story.

—ayngeyä Plumps

roger

Confirmation that kaw- derives from ke-'aw, as we suspected.

Prrton

Quote from: roger on May 15, 2010, 06:57:04 AM
Confirmation that kaw- derives from ke-'aw, as we suspected.
I never occurred to me that it wasn't already confirmed!  :o  Very good point.

Quote from: Plumps on May 15, 2010, 04:35:53 AM
Thanks again so much, ma Prrton, for the effort and the hope you put into this.
It was my pleasure only. It's a wonderful parable.

I've been thinking about the fact that these stories, poems, songs, etc. (whether original or translations) might one day be incorporated into learning materials (in the clever way that tsmukan Wm. glossed his first Coyote/Nantang translation). Is there anywhere yet on any of the boards where anyone's creating a «Kelku leVur» and assembling a collection of things originated in Lì'fayolo' leNa'vi? If they're all together, perhaps that might make it easier for K. Pawl eventually go through and make suggestions/corrections (if that's appealing to him). That might produce a large volume of canonical material very quickly and give him opportunities to think about structure a bit more too (in the same way that he produced two versions of the Golden Rule). Just an idea...

Kì'eyawn

Cool!  I'll look forward to reading your story soon—but for now, i have a late paper i seriously need to be finishing X(

Thanks for sharing the new words!  Eywa ngahu.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

'eylan na'viyä

Quote from: Prrton on May 15, 2010, 12:14:10 PM
auI've been thinking about the fact that these stories, poems, songs, etc. (whether original or translations) might one day be incorporated into learning materials (in the clever way that tsmukan Wm. glossed his first Coyote/Nantang translation). Is there anywhere yet on any of the boards where anyone's creating a «Kelku leVur» and assembling a collection of things originated in Lì'fayolo' leNa'vi? If they're all together, perhaps that might make it easier for K. Pawl eventually go through and make suggestions/corrections (if that's appealing to him). That might produce a large volume of canonical material very quickly and give him opportunities to think about structure a bit more too (in the same way that he produced two versions of the Golden Rule). Just an idea...
I don't think a place like this already exists, but it would be very helpful. Even if its not used for learning materials, it would allow newbies to choose a good text for learning by topic and size(maybe something from the quotes-thread should be added too) that is not only worth reading for learning purposes.
and if you have texts that have been reviewed many times you can be sure that they are mostly correct

Taronyu

Added. Good idea for words. :)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Using stories to teach language is nothing new. It has been used as a primary learning tool for centuries. Thusly, it is a great idea, and a priority should be made to develop a series of learning stories.

These stories might graduated from easy to difficult, with a list of vocabulary to be learned for each.

Reading and translating a story is one of the easiest way there is to quickly assimilating vocabulary.

Stories should be of stbstantial length, based on the intended audience. Thus a basic reading lession might be a paragraph, the really challenging ones a page or two. The followup to the story would be a retelling in the language one is moving from and/or a comprehension quiz.

If my Na`vi skills were better, this is something I would really enjoy working on. Well, I guess that is a reason to stick with it!

Even though I was already a prolific writer, I did a high school course that used a self-paced reading program like this, and it helped me immensely.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]