Ewll

Started by Taronyu, July 03, 2010, 05:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taronyu

Tse... Today I was cruising around online and saw that Mech's wiktionary had some words I hadn't seen before. I searched a bit harder, and found that Pandorapedia had a ton of plant names that the ASG didn't have. So I added all of those to my dictionary, and then wondered about the stress. Luckily, Frommer is the man. So: Here, for the first time, is the correct stress and spelling for all of the plant names he made for the botanists. Pretty fricken cool. They're all in the dictionary appendix, now. Worth noting: utral utu mauti, the push banana fruit, is the only non-Frommerian word (figures). All the rest are 100% awesome.

'opitcher (plant)
'ampirikxleaf pitcher (plant)
'ele'wllthorny paw (plant)
anìheyufibonacci (plant)
apxangrrdelta tree
awaieibanshee of paradise (plant)
eaneancheadle (plant) (both stresses primary)
eyayewarbonnet fern (plant)
fkxakewllthistle bud (plant)
fleflesols delight (plant)
fngapsutxwllanemonoid (plant)
fwäkìwllmantis orchid
rumwllpuffer (plant)
kllpxiwlllionberry (plant)
kxayltecillaphant (plant)
loreyuhelicoradian (plant)
mìnyutwisted lily (plant)
mulpxarroosterhead (plant)
pa'liwlldirehorse pitcher plant
pamtseowllcat ear plant
paywlldapophet (plant)
penghrrapbinary sunshine (plant)
pxayzekspiny whips (plant)
pxiut razor palm
pxiwllhermit bud (plant)
pxorna'episoth (plant)
pxorna'lorsari (plant) (Also both stresses primary)
rawpbladder pod (plant)
rumutpuffball tree
smaoephalanxia (plant)
sngukxgrub plant
somtìlorpopsicle (plant)
syeptutehyneman (plant)
tautralbeanstalk palm
tawtsngalpanopyra (plant)
hawnuwllspartan (plant)
tompawllgeode (plant)
torukspxamoctoshroom (plant)
tsawlapx(angrr)unidelta tree(short form tsawlapx)
tstxa'acanalyd (plant)
tsyorina'wllcycad (plant)
txll'uhookagourd (plant)
txumpaywllscorpion thistle (plant)
txumtsä'wllbaja tickler (plant)
fewllcentipede (plant)
rumutvein pod (plant)
yomhì'angdakteron (plant)
yomioang   chalice plant

While many of these might not seem relevant, there are a ton of useful compound words in there that help in memorizing normal words. Like 'pxi', meaning sharp, or 'ioang', animal. See if you can figure the rest out: I certainly enjoyed finding the meanings.

Prrte' ngaru livu! :)

Tirea Aean

tewti!!

I am wondering now if it is fruitful to memorize these.....probably not now...maybe after I have memorized every other word in the dictionary that is NOT a proper noun....EPIC post tho.

Plumps

Yeah, massive indeed!

On second thought:
I'm not a botanist — I have no idea how I should translate those :(

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Plumps on July 03, 2010, 05:10:47 PM
Yeah, massive indeed!

On second thought:
I'm not a botanist — I have no idea how I should translate those :(

Maybe Pandorapedia already has translations?
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Taronyu

It does. If you'll want, I'll sit down later and provide all of the derivations. I have them in my dictionary, though, that's probably easier.

Go to the Appendix

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Taronyu on July 03, 2010, 05:16:48 PM
It does. If you'll want, I'll sit down later and provide all of the derivations. I have them in my dictionary, though, that's probably easier.

Go to the Appendix

I meant translations of the stxo le'Ìnglìsì—so Plumps could translate those.  But if you've got derivations for all these plant-names, i'll have to check those out in the dictionary.   *joy*
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Kì'eyawn

Ma Taronyu, a possible derivation i think you missed:

hìrumwll = hì('ia)-rum-('e)wll = small ball plant

Edit:  There were originally two here, then i realized i had misread the second.  Ngaytxoa.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Oe lu fpom nang I appreciate the creation of this terminology. I wonder when fauna will follow? Is that worth asking K. Pawl about?

I'm giving some thought of creating a scientific/technical/engineering subdictionary.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Na'ríng Tsmuke

looking forward to fauna  ;D
Irayo for the updated dictionary
xX- Her Name Is Written On A Polished Rock;
                                A Broken Heart That The World Forgot -Xx

Taronyu

I don't think that there will be more Fauna. These are words he created months and months ago, and they've been around - just without the correct spelling or stress information.

Prrton

There are a few on here that make me curious about possible root or other corollary meanings:

- fle
- mul
- pxar
- rawp
- sma (if it indeed stands alone)
- tstxa ( tstxa' ? )
- txll

«Sngukx» *feels* to me like it would simply be that as a name for the plant and nothing more.

I particularly conceptually like «tautral» and the fact that the sawtute named it after an 'Rrtan fairytale. I can just see the thing slithering up into the clouds.

Perhaps «rawp» is our word for "bag/pocket"?

Taronyu

I'd like to know how much Pawl had access to the botanical information of these before writing them. I didn't think to ask. That might shed some interesting light on his constructions.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Taronyu on July 04, 2010, 06:33:41 AM
I don't think that there will be more Fauna. These are words he created months and months ago, and they've been around - just without the correct spelling or stress information.

There has to be at least one more fauna iitem. I have not seen anywhere a term to describe the protolemur. Maybe I am missing something somewhere. Unless it has another name, it is not in the dictionary.

A few of these flora names stand out to me:

anìheyu   fibonacci (plant) - I am sure this name implies some part of the plant visibly follows a fibonachi sequence, which is actually fairly common in the plant world.

eanean   cheadle (plant) (both stresses primary) - The name suggests that this plant is the source of much of the cyan bioluminescence we see on Pandora.

kllpxiwll   lionberry (plant) - Anything involving lions is good.  :)  Wonder if this berry tastes like meat, or perhaps is a favorite browse of Toruk.

rawp   bladder pod (plant) - Could this be the source for the bladders for 'bladder lanterns' (as opposed to animal bladders)? This is a wou lì`u

sngukx   grub plant - That is also  a really wou lì`u

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Taronyu

Answers to your questions here dude: http://www.pandorapedia.com/

roger

Was there a typo in kxaylte? The L in the 1st syllable?

Txumpaywll has also got to be wrong. Makes me wonder about the syllabification of rumut, yomhì'ang, tsawlapx.

Taronyu

Quote from: roger on July 05, 2010, 04:34:40 PM
Was there a typo in kxaylte? The L in the 1st syllable?

Txumpaywll has also got to be wrong. Makes me wonder about the syllabification of rumut, yomhì'ang, tsawlapx.

Txumpaywll, you're right. All the rest are as given by Frommer.