Use of Agentive case and Ambiguity

Started by Tirea Aean, April 29, 2013, 06:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirea Aean

Kaltxì ma frapo. Several months ago, I stumbled across this thread started by Kemaweyan, which I translated and put here because I feel he raised a good point. Turns out he was right.

The use or non-use of the agentive -l in attributive clauses has a lot to say about the meaning. And when you can't use the agentive because of an intransitive modal verb, the ambiguity stays, and context has to make it clear.

Seze Mune

Very interesting discussion.  I think it leaves me in ambiguity.

Maybe we need a word for ambiguous or ambiguity.  We already have one for UNambiguously: nìpxi

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Tirea Aean on April 29, 2013, 06:41:25 PM
Kaltxì ma frapo. Several months ago, I stumbled across this thread started by Kemaweyan, which I translated and put here because I feel he raised a good point. Turns out he was right.

The use or non-use of the agentive -l in attributive clauses has a lot to say about the meaning. And when you can't use the agentive because of an intransitive modal verb, the ambiguity stays, and context has to make it clear.

Fascinating. I'm actually kind of glad we have little ambiguities like this. It makes the language feel more "real" to me. Plus, in this case, I think any rule that is made might actually make the language more difficult. This way any new learners will automatically be right, they just have to be aware about the potential for ambiguity.