Vocabulary from Disney's Na'vi translator

Started by Vawmataw, February 01, 2020, 03:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vawmataw

So I bought at Disney the famous Na'vi translator (with the voice of Karyu Pawl) and I discovered some stuff about the vocab.
Everything is normal until I meet sevin and yokx.

1. Sevin is no longer only for people?

Sevin is a word we know since the time of the first songs. According to the LN dictionary it can be used only to describe women until now. I have the card IRL and it's exactly that image. Notice that it's not the face of a woman, but the night scene with helicoradians flying around. If it were only for people, we would clearly see a pretty person or I guess they would have used lor. Or is it a mistake? It's hard to tell when it's canon.

2. There is now a word for shield

I don't have this card but it seems genuine. So yokx = shield. I suspect it's a noun since there is no card containing just a single verb.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Plumps

That's and interesting find, ma Vawmataw.

At least for sevin I can say that it has not always been primarily for female people. We have an example of sevin referring to a queue back in 2010

Ngari tswintsyìp sevin nìtxan lu nang!
'What a pretty little queue you have!'

So, it seems to be used for objects or things as well.

As for yokx ... maybe I can find out something about that ...

Plumps

It has been a long time but I got word from K. Pawl:

Quote from: K. Pawl, 26 Feb 2020Yokx is indeed a noun.

And he confirmed sevin can be used in the context described by the card, and as the example from naviteri.org

Quote from: K. Pawl, 26 Feb 2020... it's not inconsistent with the way it's been used in the past.

Vawmataw

Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman