Wait a minute. Pey is intransitive?

Started by Tirea Aean, April 23, 2012, 01:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirea Aean

Indeed it is. Today I talked to Pawl on Skype and asked him very quickly about the verb pey, and he confirmed that it is used intransitively, and with thing waited for in topical case, which is consistent with how he used it in the ma sempul message.

Apologies for no written quote.

Kemaweyan

Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Eana Unil

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

I will act as a witness in leiu of a written statement as I was with Dr. Frommer when the Skype call was made ;)

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Alyara Arati

Irayo.  And I see what you did there. ;D
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Alyara Arati on April 23, 2012, 10:28:39 PM
Irayo.  And I see what you did there. ;D

ah so you caught the pun. ;D

Nìprrte' ma frapo. :)

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tirea Aean on April 23, 2012, 01:26:51 PM
Indeed it is. Today I talked to Pawl on Skype and asked him very quickly about the verb pey, and he confirmed that it is used intransitively, and with thing waited for in topical case, which is consistent with how he used it in the ma sempul message.

'ä'! Too unbelievable! What about this sentence then (comes from canon):

Oel new pivlltxe nìNa'vi mì oeyä letrra tìrey, slä oel tsun pivey trrit a ngal tayìng ayoer(u) aylì'ut nì'ul.
Sources:
http://wiki.learnnavi.org/index.php/Canon (Quoted by Taronyu, January 25, 2010 )
http://forum.learnnavi.org/language-updates/frommerian-email/

I always thought it can be used both transitively and intransitively. Can you consult this with Paul?
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Blue Elf on April 24, 2012, 02:07:25 AM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on April 23, 2012, 01:26:51 PM

Oel new pivlltxe nìNa'vi mì oeyä letrra tìrey, slä oel tsun pivey trrit a ngal tayìng ayoer(u) aylì'ut nì'ul.
Sources:
http://wiki.learnnavi.org/index.php/Canon (Quoted by Taronyu, January 25, 2010 )
http://forum.learnnavi.org/language-updates/frommerian-email/

I always thought it can be used both transitively and intransitively. Can you consult this with Paul?

I dont think the focus there was (in)transitivity of pey.

When I asked him on skype, he defìnitely said it's intransitive, and the X waits for Y construction is Yìri X pey. And he said "I haven't used it transitevly in the Canon, have I?" To which Txonä and I said, I don't think so, because I cant think of such a time. He wanted to make sure he had been consistent with what he had just said. Nice catch from a long time ago in the past. :) I didn't remember about that. I look at that and realize, That sentence is Taronyu's, and Pawl is correcting selected bits. Perhaps at the time it slipped hin mind that pey was not used that way. But later, when he wrote the Ma Sempul response letter, he used it himself in a way consistent with what he said on Skype yesterday.

I think it's already settled. ;)

Kemaweyan

Quote from: Blue Elf on April 24, 2012, 02:07:25 AM

There is a lot of mistakes in this sentence:

So I think transitive pey is a mistake too :-\
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

A post in the Dictionary thread suggests that this sentence is actually from Taronyu, and is not canon at all.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Blue Elf

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on April 24, 2012, 03:35:43 PM
A post in the Dictionary thread suggests that this sentence is actually from Taronyu, and is not canon at all.
Yes, but Paul corrected it - that's probably why it is in canon
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)