Author Topic: <äpeyk> in transitive constructions  (Read 96 times)

Offline Vawmataw

• Palulukan Makto
  • nv Eywa'eveng
<äpeyk> in transitive constructions
« on: August 20, 2021, 08:53:42 am »
Prompted by a discussion on the Kelutral discord, I asked Karyu Pawl how äpeyk would work if we added a direct object (for example: I cause myself to hunt yerik). Here's his answer:

The simplest and most consistent rule for verbs containing <äpeyk> is that sometimes <äp> dominates and sometimes <eyk> dominates:

• If the original construction is intransitive, <äp> dominates, and the doer is in the subjective case.
  • If the original construction is transitive, <eyk> dominates, and the doer is in the agentive case.

For example:

I cause myself to hunt: Oe täpeykaron.
Here the original construction is intransitive, i.e., Oe taron. So the doer is oe, not oel.

I cause myself to hunt yerik: Oel täpeykaron yerikit.
Here the original construction is transitive, i.e., Oel taron yerikit. So the doer is oel, not oe.

I like the parallel here:

Oe taron.                      ~                    Oel taron yerikit.
Oe täpeykaron.            ~                     Oel täpeykaron yerikit.

Neytiri’s explanation for the proposed *Oe täpeykaron yerikit was actually quite persuasive. I definitely see how the intervention of modal verbs, which require the subjective, not agentive, case for the doer, might lead to a similar construction with transitive causatives. In the end, though, I just couldn’t get myself to accept a SUBJECTIVE + SINGLE VERB + PATIENTIVE construction, even though we’re all used to SUBJECTIVE + MODAL + <iv>VERB + PATIENTIVE.

Hope this all proves to be consistent and workable. 
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News every weekend IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Kelutral.fr editor

Offline Wllìm

• Taronyu
  • nl Netherlands
    • Wimiso (weptsenge oeyä)
Re: <äpeyk> in transitive constructions
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 09:02:57 am »
Txantsan! Good to have confirmation. I think that this is consistent with what we've known before, but I do need to think about the topic some more, because <eyk> always confuses me ;D

In the end, though, I just couldn’t get myself to accept a SUBJECTIVE + SINGLE VERB + PATIENTIVE construction, even though we’re all used to SUBJECTIVE + MODAL + <iv>VERB + PATIENTIVE.

I'd still prefer if it would have been *oel new tivaron ioangit (i.e. the dependent verb dominates) but I'm indeed kind of used to it by now :P
Reykunyu (dictionary website)Noun declensionsVerb infixes •  Weather forecasts in Na'viKDE nìNa'viMy Na'vi blog
Seykxel sì nitram! Ngal rolun fì'upxaret aketsuktse'a! :D

Offline Toliman

• Palulukan Makto
  • nv Eywa'eveng
  • Tsatseng mìkam sanhì - tsaw lu oeyä kifkey!
Re: <äpeyk> in transitive constructions
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 10:02:11 am »
Eltur tìtxen si, irayo for sharing!

Become LearnNavi's friend on Facebook Follow LearnNavi on Twitter! Watch LearnNavi's videos on YouTube

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | XHTML | RSS | WAP2 | Site Rules

LearnNavi is not affiliated with the official Avatar website,
James Cameron, LightStorm Entertainment or The Walt Disney Company.
All trademarks and servicemarks are the properties of their respective owners.
Images in the LearnNavi.org Forums and Gallery may not be used without permission.

LearnNavi Affiliates:
ToS

LearnNavi is the community to learn Na'vi, the Avatar Language
"A place where real friendships are made." -Paul Frommer

AvatarMeet | Learn Na'vi Forum | Learn Na'vi Wiki | Na'viteri

LearnNavi