Dict-na'vi.com report

Started by Vawmataw, February 03, 2013, 07:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tìlu on December 23, 2017, 12:32:34 AM
It doesn't seem to like the word tsatsun - ts<ats>un

To add to this, it does however produce the correct expected output for tsivatsun (ts<iv><ats>un)

Plumps

Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 23, 2017, 12:36:22 AM

To add to this, it does however produce the correct expected output for tsivatsun (ts<iv><ats>un)

:-\ :-\ :-\ that is indeed strange ... and strangely enough, it recognises other monosyllabic words, I tried it with fkan, kan, mìn, 'ìp, tswa', and tspang. It seems to be a combination of tsa_ts because tsatsä' is also not found. Will get in contact with Tukan about that

Tìlu

Quote from: Plumps on December 23, 2017, 04:07:59 AM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 23, 2017, 12:36:22 AM

:-\ :-\ :-\ that is indeed strange ... and strangely enough, it recognises other monosyllabic words, I tried it with fkan, kan, mìn, 'ìp, tswa', and tspang. It seems to be a combination of tsa_ts because tsatsä' is also not found. Will get in contact with Tukan about that

Here's what Tirea mentioned on Discord earlier after the discovery of this, and it sounds? possibly plausible on why it's happening
Quote[12:51 AM] Tirea Aean: this tells me that it wanted to discard tsa-tsun because it would be ridiculous to say tsun can be prefixed with tsa-
[12:52 AM] Tirea Aean: and it seems that the check for tsa- exists much earlier in the algo than <ats> does
[12:52 AM] Tìlu: bc tsun is a verb so why the hell would it have tsa- on it?
[12:52 AM] Tirea Aean: ^
[12:52 AM] Tirea Aean: this is my working theory

wm.annis

It has an entry for lesar si ("be useful") which I do not believe is correct. Neither of the links it gives as a reference actually points to anything like lesar si. On the contrary, the Naviteri blog post shows Paul using lesar lu.

Vawmataw

Quote from: wm.annis on January 13, 2018, 04:28:17 PM
It has an entry for lesar si ("be useful") which I do not believe is correct. Neither of the links it gives as a reference actually points to anything like lesar si. On the contrary, the Naviteri blog post shows Paul using lesar lu.
It's interesting. I remember I used it in the comments section of a Naviteri blog post that presented this term.
(Edit: I found the post in question but no trace of lesar si)

EDIT2: Here is the proof you needed:
http://naviteri.org/2012/06/spring-vocabulary-part-3/comment-page-1/#comment-1515

also see this: https://forum.learnnavi.org/website-info/the-dictionary/msg606768/#msg606768
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Karyu PawlNgaru tìyawr: fìlì'fyaviri ral lu 'come in handy.'

Actually, there isn't much difference between lesar lu and lesar si. They both mean 'be useful, be of use, come in handy.' I'll have to think about whether there's any difference in usage between them. Possibly one might be more conversational than the other. I'll keep you posted
But it seems to be not finally decided.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Vawmataw

Quote from: Tìtstewan on January 13, 2018, 07:46:26 PM
Quote from: Karyu PawlNgaru tìyawr: fìlì'fyaviri ral lu 'come in handy.'

Actually, there isn't much difference between lesar lu and lesar si. They both mean 'be useful, be of use, come in handy.' I'll have to think about whether there's any difference in usage between them. Possibly one might be more conversational than the other. I'll keep you posted
But it seems to be not finally decided.
We can still base our entry on what is decided.

wm.annis

Plumps

Quote from: wm.annis on January 13, 2018, 08:43:04 PM
Quote from: Vawmataw on January 13, 2018, 06:15:09 PMEDIT2: Here is the proof you needed:
http://naviteri.org/2012/06/spring-vocabulary-part-3/comment-page-1/#comment-1515

Marvelous! Hopefully it isn't too annoying to update the reference links.

No, not at all. That is indeed something that I can fix right away — fìkem sìlmeiyi. :D

Thanks for noticing that.

Mech

I notice that some words aren't tagged/categorized adequately. For example the word 'eveng is in the SOCIOL tag but not the FAM tag. I think the word has the meaning of "offspring" not only "young person", so it must be a family term.

Plumps

Yeah, I have to admit I neglected these tags a bit. Sometimes I remember to add them when I enter new words, sometimes I just forget it. :-X

Plumps

Just a quick update. Dict-navi just had a major update. All the entries have recordings now except for 3 (which I somehow forgot  :-X ) and the ones we don't know the stress of. We are  (and I think we can be) quite proud of that  :D

Tukan is still figuring out what's going on with the ts_ats_ words.

A word to the translators (if they read this) – it would be amazing if the other languages would come up to speed with the English or German entries ... ;)
If you need help or assistance in any form, just let us know.

Vawmataw

Quote from: Plumps on June 09, 2018, 10:31:22 AM

A word to the translators (if they read this) – it would be amazing if the other languages would come up to speed with the English or German entries ... ;)
If you need help or assistance in any form, just let us know.

Txantsan nìtxan! Fortunately my French version is totally up-to-date.

Vawmataw

Is the information correct?
http://dict-navi.com/en/dictionary/term/2019/?search_term=ayNa%27vi

Edit: No, it's a proper noun!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Vawmataw on August 12, 2018, 12:49:03 PM

The `affix examples` section on the right appears to be automated for each part of speech. I think Uncountable nouns need to be manually written in as exceptions to plural prefixes. (such that when the noun is singular uncountable, it does not feature pluralizing examples)

I as well would imagine that the word Na'vi is uncountable therefore doesn't take plurals.

Vawmataw

Quote from: Tirea Aean on August 12, 2018, 12:54:50 PM

Quote from: Vawmataw on August 12, 2018, 12:49:03 PM

The `affix examples` section on the right appears to be automated for each part of speech. I think Uncountable nouns need to be manually written in as exceptions to plural prefixes. (such that when the noun is singular uncountable, it does not feature pluralizing examples)

I as well would imagine that the word Na'vi is uncountable therefore doesn't take plurals.
actually it's a proper noun, not a noun

Tirea Aean

Even crazier. Yet easier to fix.  Make the automation for plural prefix examples exclude being shown for 'prop.n.' part of speech

Plumps

Already in place ;)
Thanks for the catch! Corrected. It's so important to have all of your eyes!

Wllìm

I found some discrepancies in the IPA (syllable boundaries) between Eana Eltu and Dict-Na'vi...

• olo'eyktan: o-lo-'EYK-tan (EE) vs. o-lo'-EYK-tan (DN)
  • 'ongokx: 'O-ngokx (EE) vs 'ONG-okx (DN) (but EE and DN agree that tì'ongokx is tì-'O-ngokx)
  • ... there are likely more of those, because I found these more or less by accident
After some discussion on Discord: the difference seems to be that EE strictly follows the maximum-onset rule in those cases, while DN prefers to keep the lexical components.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Wllìm on August 19, 2018, 04:21:32 PM
I found some discrepancies in the IPA (syllable boundaries) between Eana Eltu and Dict-Na'vi...

• olo'eyktan: o-lo-'EYK-tan (EE) vs. o-lo'-EYK-tan (DN)
  • 'ongokx: 'O-ngokx (EE) vs 'ONG-okx (DN) (but EE and DN agree that tì'ongokx is tì-'O-ngokx)
  • ... there are likely more of those, because I found these more or less by accident
After some discussion on Discord: the difference seems to be that EE strictly follows the maximum-onset rule in those cases, while DN prefers to keep the lexical components.

Technically, IPA data in EE is manually entered by members with access to edit_dict_meta. The IPA is manually entered in accordance with maximum onset principle, since this is technically the correct way to go unless KP specifies the syllabification to be otherwise.