Easy Na'vi Lessons Blog

Started by Tirea Aean, October 26, 2012, 08:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirea Aean

Quote from: @TireaAeanLinguist terms and constant trips to Google getting frustrating? Learn Na'vi Grammar The Easy Way! Lesson 1 now live at tirea.skxawng.lu
3:25pm - 21 Oct 12

That's right. I've taken on the wonderful challenge of teaching this beautiful language WITHOUT the use of linguistic or technical terms. This lesson series on Na'vi grammar is gonna be the most SIMPLE EVER.

Right now, there are three lessons. Updates are often, so come on by often or subscribe to the RSS if you're an RSS person like me who likes to use Google Reader.

Normally, the blog is at http://tirea.skxawng.lu However, since SirHaxalot is doing some server maintenance and migration, I have temporarily copied the blog to the Tirea Radio server, at http://tirearadio.com/skxawng

The blog is NOW at http://tirea.learnnavi.org :D

Hopefully this lesson series is refreshing, fun, and above all super simple and easily understandable. If you have questions, feel free to ask here or on the blog comments. Also, you beginners out there, feel free to make requests. The lessons follow a logical order but it always helps to know what people want and need to know most. :)

Blue Elf

Great lessons!
I'd recommend just one thing: in English, the same word can be often used as different word types, for example work as noun or verb.
When referring to a verb, attach "to" to make clear it is verb: work - noun, to work - verb
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tirea Aean

I thought of that. I will make the edit and continue in that way. Thanks for feedback!

Seze Mune

Enjoying this series of lessons.  It's always nice to review the basics!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Aaaargh! These lessons are IMPENETRABLE! Where are all the words like 'patientive', 'deixis', 'ellision' (of which there is a really good example of) and other such proper words ;)

Seriously, this is great! What really makes a big difference here is the use of color codes for different grammatical functions. You also note at the beginning (end??) of the lessons that repetition is key to learning Na'vi. This is especially true of this method.

But in any case, this is very useful, and I will recommend it where appropriate!

+1

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on November 08, 2012, 02:28:22 AM
Aaaargh! These lessons are IMPENETRABLE!

impenetrable? By that you mean solid as in very good and stable, right?

Where are all the words like 'patientive', 'deixis', 'ellision' (of which there is a really good example of) and other such proper words ;)

The entire point of this blog is to make the language accessible to anyone and everyone, without needing to learn a whole other language (Linguistese) before even being able to learn Na'vi. So, yeah, those terms are omitted because quite frankly, they just get in the way for beginners with no linguistic background. Hey, those words are great for linguistics professors and university linguistic majors. :D but for the average Joe/Jane, I want to be super simple in teaching because it's very possible to teach a language without using the intensely complicated language of a linguistics researcher. :D

Seriously, this is great! What really makes a big difference here is the use of color codes for different grammatical functions. You also note at the beginning (end??) of the lessons that repetition is key to learning Na'vi. This is especially true of this method.

:D righto.

But in any case, this is very useful, and I will recommend it where appropriate!

+1

Irayo nìtxan!!! :D

Stranger Come Knocking

Quote from: Tirea Aean on November 08, 2012, 06:07:50 PM
Where are all the words like 'patientive', 'deixis', 'ellision' (of which there is a really good example of) and other such proper words ;)

The entire point of this blog is to make the language accessible to anyone and everyone, without needing to learn a whole other language (Linguistese) before even being able to learn Na'vi. So, yeah, those terms are omitted because quite frankly, they just get in the way for beginners with no linguistic background. Hey, those words are great for linguistics professors and university linguistic majors. :D but for the average Joe/Jane, I want to be super simple in teaching because it's very possible to teach a language without using the intensely complicated language of a linguistics researcher. :D

Where the freak was this when I started learning?! *mock anger*

*points to lurking newbies* YOU THERE!  YEAH, YOU!  Pay attention to this!  Read it, learn it, love it.
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Niri Te

Ma Tirea Aean,
 I just found out about Tirea.skxawng.lu, jumped over there, and got lesson seven. Is there any way that a newbie can start at lesson one?
Niri Tawa
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Stranger Come Knocking

Scroll down to the bottom.  They're listed newest-to-oldest.
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Tirea Aean

The blog has been moved to tirea.learnnavi.org for those who didn't know. :) I am continuing to do frequent updates. I've also updated the site with a NEW Look to match the colour scheme of the main LearnNavi.org site.

Now taking requests on things to talk about. What is it in NiaN or Horen that's confusing to you and would like to have explained in every day language? :)

Plumps

Sound files! Tewti! :D

And they are structured like the ones on Wiki ... especially for the unreleased stops this is extremely helpful!

Sunu oer nìtxan nang!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Plumps on May 21, 2013, 10:27:22 AM
Sound files! Tewti! :D

And they are structured like the ones on Wiki ... especially for the unreleased stops this is extremely helpful!

Sunu oer nìtxan nang!

Txantsan! I'm glad you approve. :)

Tirea Aean

Post about F-words IS NOW UP! :D

http://tirea.learnnavi.org/posts/

Anyone still got something confusing they want explained in a post? Taking requests. :)

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tirea Aean on June 10, 2013, 04:24:23 PM
Post about F-words IS NOW UP! :D

http://tirea.learnnavi.org/posts/

Anyone still got something confusing they want explained in a post? Taking requests. :)
I would say description is clear enough. Beginner's opinion would be more interesting, however.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tirea Aean

Colours just about to post, and Numbers coming up this week. Nothing too exciting for Intermediate/Advanced speaker.

If you saw Paul's post about colours, it will be nothing new at all. Just a little shorter.

Eana Ketuwong

This blog is very, very useful! Thank you so much!
Tumbling hard until 3 AM on a Wednesday night

Mech

The blog is great and it's all I wanted. A logically progressive learning material. There are many Na'vi grammars and vocabularies online but they are reference works, not lessons.

Now there is something I miss about your blog's navigation. For example let's say I am reading through the Lesson 1. There is no direct link to Lesson 2 so that I can continue seamlessly my learning process. I must either look down on "Also on" links, or type the "two" on the address myself. This is distracting.

If you could include links to the previous and next lesson in every lesson, that would make your blog more browsable and readable.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Mech on May 05, 2014, 04:59:21 AM
The blog is great and it's all I wanted. A logically progressive learning material. There are many Na'vi grammars and vocabularies online but they are reference works, not lessons.

Now there is something I miss about your blog's navigation. For example let's say I am reading through the Lesson 1. There is no direct link to Lesson 2 so that I can continue seamlessly my learning process. I must either look down on "Also on" links, or type the "two" on the address myself. This is distracting.

If you could include links to the previous and next lesson in every lesson, that would make your blog more browsable and readable.

A super easy fix. I'll have this done asap. Come to think of it, I don't think you are the first to suggest this. Definitely worth doing because I can totally understand the annoyance of having to hit Back and scroll up to the next one and click into it.

I'm thinking of including a <-Previous Post and Next Post-> link set on bottom of the posts.

Tirea Aean

Ok, I've updated all posts to have Previous/Next navigation at the bottom. :)

Tirea Aean

And we're up to Lesson 17.

I'd also like to mention the NEW feature: Print option in the Menu bar.

You can now see a printer-friendly version of any lesson by just clicking on Print in the menu bar while in the lesson. The style will change right away, and then you can print that. :)

I think the next lesson will be should. Unless you guys have others that would be better for next time?