Easy way to learn Na'vi activity book!

Started by Kaltxì Palulukan!, January 22, 2010, 04:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Update: Spent $200 on a 1 Terrabyte external hard drive with auto-back up. I would save up for a new layout program, but everything i currently running $700 and up. That is corporate extortion. I need a program OTHER THAN Acrobat, Quark, or InDesign that I can do layout in, so I can make PDFs. Once I can do that I can revamp the activity book.

:(
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

TesterScot

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on March 21, 2010, 04:27:14 AM
Update: Spent $200 on a 1 Terrabyte external hard drive with auto-back up. I would save up for a new layout program, but everything i currently running $700 and up. That is corporate extortion. I need a program OTHER THAN Acrobat, Quark, or InDesign that I can do layout in, so I can make PDFs. Once I can do that I can revamp the activity book.

:(

How about Scribus? http://www.scribus.net/
It's award-winning open-source page layout software - available for Wind0ze, Linux, Mac OS, and others - and it can output to PDF.

Oh yeah... it's free!
;) :D ;D

Irayoru 'Awve Tìkameie for the profile pic. Go to http://www.mpandoraln.weebly.com to see his ongoing work.
Brand New Learner - please correct my usage 8-)

Kaltxì Palulukan!

I tiredz it. No likie. Is there a patch that makes it more like Quark? Ir was very difficult for me to work in.

But I likes the free part :)

Oh yeah--cookie for you
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

TesterScot

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on March 22, 2010, 07:23:20 PM
I tiredz it. No likie. Is there a patch that makes it more like Quark? Ir was very difficult for me to work in.

But I likes the free part :)

Oh yeah--cookie for you

Unfortunately, there is no patch available   :'(

Cookie was tasty, irayo  ;D

Irayoru 'Awve Tìkameie for the profile pic. Go to http://www.mpandoraln.weebly.com to see his ongoing work.
Brand New Learner - please correct my usage 8-)

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

Just now reading this post, sorry, But is that a banana fruit that that Na'vi is grabbing? (for the cover that is)
Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

I wish I knew. Ask Rolyu (she drew it) :)

kintìomum

As far as I remember Rolyu's talk while she was at it: yes, it's meant to be a banana fruit.
kintìomum : curiosity (lit.: need knowledge)

"You don't dream in cryo" they say. Good! Imagine a 6-year-nightmare!

All Things Avatar: AIM for us on twitter!

Rolyu

Sorry if it's inadequate.  I couldn't find a reference.... XD   Yes, it's meant to be a banana fruit.

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

/e does Norm's little "yesssssssssssss" (you know the one.)
Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.

Nìftxavang Sreu

Quote from: Kawnga Palulukana Tutan (KPT) on April 07, 2010, 07:21:10 PM

haha it took my a second, but then I had to reenact it, just to be satisfied  ;) (speaking of which, join the Norm Spellman Fan Club!!)

proud member of the NSFC!!

Atanä mungeyu

Quote from: Nìftxavang Sreu on April 08, 2010, 03:37:00 PM
Quote from: Kawnga Palulukana Tutan (KPT) on April 07, 2010, 07:21:10 PM

haha it took my a second, but then I had to reenact it, just to be satisfied  ;) (speaking of which, join the Norm Spellman Fan Club!!)
i wish that they used that part of the old script, were trudy and norm actually had a relationship, would have been awesome..
I haz teh DVD yaaaayy xD

nederlandse pocket guide door mij en txura tirea.

Tskxe Taronyu

This is so helpful!  :) I just wish I could find a store nearby to print the whole thing.

<---Click me please!

hawnuyuna'viyä

A great collection of exercises, so irayo ma tsmukan.

But, on the first page alone, I count 5 incidents that although not major, I find distracting: "my completely computer crashed" - rearrange the 2nd and 3rd words.
"naturaly" -> "naturally", "vilume" -> "volume", "spefically" => "specifically", "aeshtetically pleaseing" -> "aesthetically pleasing".

Beyond the first page, these problems disappear, but on page 5, we have "z's", since the zs do not own anything it should just be pluralized.

P22. "persmission" -> "permission", "endlss" -> "endless"

It seems to be fine beyond that point, so in other words: please run a spell check! :)

NB: I am also trying to work out if the excessive use of papyrus calls for a link to Xkcd #590.

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on March 21, 2010, 04:27:14 AM
I need a program OTHER THAN Acrobat, Quark, or InDesign that I can do layout in, so I can make PDFs. Once I can do that I can revamp the activity book.
Look into LaTeX, it will take all that hassle off you instead, so you get to focus on the content.

Atanä mungeyu

how many pages was it again in total? hopefully not too much, so that i can actually print it sometime xD
I haz teh DVD yaaaayy xD

hawnuyuna'viyä

Quote from: Atanä mungeyu on April 13, 2010, 01:32:05 PM
how many pages was it again in total? hopefully not too much, so that i can actually print it sometime xD

100 if you include the covers.

Atanä mungeyu

well, printing that will be hard to do xD
I haz teh DVD yaaaayy xD

hawnuyuna'viyä

Quote from: Atanä mungeyu on April 13, 2010, 02:40:16 PM
well, printing that will be hard to do xD
Well shrink it down to 4 pages per A4 page, and if possible do duplex.
That makes it only 13 pages, which is a much more reasonable amount.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

If you already have Skxawng's grammar worksheets you don't have to print those, and if you want to skip 8's Rhyming dictionary, that will save you another few sheets. you can probably get away with printing 50-60 pages and get most everything--except grammar. Most places that make copies will do that for $3-$4.

Tireayä Syalhu

Quote from: Rolyu on March 08, 2010, 07:36:16 PM
Hey, do you think you could include the definitions of words we look for in the "word searches?" Cause I can find the words no problem, but it doesn't help me learn if I don't know the meaning of the word I'm circling.  Just a thought.

I just wrote the English meaning next to each word I found.   ;)
I love this book and a 2nd edition would be fantastic.

Irayo !~  :D

kintìomum

I also like it.
I learn Na'vi while I translate it to german.
It's sometimes a pain in the a** when you need to find a fitting idiom but hell: I learn Na'vi while working :D
kintìomum : curiosity (lit.: need knowledge)

"You don't dream in cryo" they say. Good! Imagine a 6-year-nightmare!

All Things Avatar: AIM for us on twitter!