RENAMED: Website Users Manual

Started by überdoodlet, October 05, 2010, 08:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Check an option that best describes you, if any. Discuss in thread.

I could provide an idea or category for the handbook.
2 (5.1%)
I could provide advice or a tip to be included in the handbook
1 (2.6%)
I would benefit from an idea such as this.
33 (84.6%)
I have an idea/suggestion for the informational segment of the project. (list in thread!)
1 (2.6%)
I have an idea/suggestion for the physical format of the guide. (list!)
2 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 37

akiwiguy

Quote from: überdoodlet on October 29, 2010, 03:13:14 PM
So a half "avatar-ized" picture of Jake or someone? That could be cool...
Kinda like that pic of Neytiri at the top of the page with 'New Book!' sitting beside it?

überdoodlet

Still, an idea is better than no idea...

Maria TunVrrtep

Quote from: Ilisaqpuq on October 29, 2010, 08:45:04 PM
Content, people, title pages can wait :P

That was why I wanted to clarify that she didn't want someone to show HOW to do the Avatarized photos. 
Like I said, it was a little out of the scope of the project, but I guessed it was ok. 
Guys, we need stuff that we can actually put in.  Content, not pictures.
And I'm sorry, but I happen to think that a picture in the handbook is not content it's fluff.  It has absolutely nothing to do with the reason for the handbook. 
Let's all stick on topic here. 
We need content.  So, let's go back to what we have on the Table of Contents ...

A.  Useful Links and Forums (have lots of this - if you have more let me know.)
B.  Menu items (almost finished)
C.  IRC information (xChat info in, I still have to do the mIRC info and I need someone to write up the Apple info)
D.  Teamspeak information
E.  BB codes and Message writing tips. (have the BB codes part)
F.  Tips for New Users
G.  Navigating the forum
H.  People of interest (This will all be the Staff list.  I'm going to put a list of the staff and the forums that they moderate)
I.  Good posting and thread making tips
J.  General advice
K.  Do's and Don'ts
L.  Software used on LearnNavi
M.  Survival guide – ruleset
N.  explaination of the color system, post, karma, and ranking system(s) (already in there)

Some of the stuff that we have here can all be combined into one chapter/page.  We've got a lot of things that say "tips for ..." that can all be combined into Helpful Hints or something like that.  Also the Do's and Don'ts can probably go there.

So, Any more ideas for information to go in the Handbook?

ta TunVrrtep

"Ke'u ke lu law a krr frakem tsunslu." -
    Margaret Drabble
("When nothing is sure, everything is possible.")

überdoodlet

My last idea might be a Words of Wisdom thing. If a user wanted to say one thing personally to a new user, what would it be?

Part of the handbook is done. The biggest parts are kind of empty. The only way we can fill this gap is to have a LOT of people contributing... We need a large audiance to view and contribute what they can to sections of the handbook.

I'd rather have a bunch of ideas to seperates and categorize than no ideas at all...

TV, the physical handbook... Even though it's not finished, is there any way you could show us what it looks like so far? At least so people can see what the physical "book" looks like...

Maria TunVrrtep

Sure can but there's really not as much in it as you think.  And it's not exactly formatted the way I'd like to see it.  Give me a few days.  My final for my class is finished, but the group project and the personal paper are not. 

ta TV
    Margaret Drabble

überdoodlet

Yeah, ok, that's fine. It is a lot easier to organize seeing what we have and what we don't than trying to explain it in a thread.

I wish there was sone way to let EVERYONE know about the project. If more people know, more people can participate and contribute, and the gaps in content can slowly get filled. Even after it was put on the news ticker, only a couple new people have viewed it. Maybe I'm just being impatient... :D I'm sure more people will come in time...

akiwiguy

I can write up a few pages on BBCode if you want me to.
Did you know you can put extra text in the title of a spoiler?
Like this:
[spoiler=Hello]Kaltxì[/spoiler]

Maria TunVrrtep

Quote from: Eltu lefngap 'eveng on November 05, 2010, 02:44:45 PM
I can write up a few pages on BBCode if you want me to.
Did you know you can put extra text in the title of a spoiler?
Like this:
[spoiler=Hello]Kaltxì[/spoiler]

That would be great.  All I have at the moment is the codes themselves. 

Shoot me a PM and I'll send you my email address.  You can email me the pages.

ta TunVrrtep
    Margaret Drabble

Tirea Aean

Do we have an approximate release date of the first version?

Maria TunVrrtep

We don't have enough stuff to release yet.  It's still a little sparse. 

I'll work on it on Sunday.  I've been a tad bit busy with this stupid Economics class that I came close to failing.

ta TunVrrtep
    Margaret Drabble

überdoodlet

Straight from the Policies thread, these resources should be listed and have a little description as well, if there isn't one already, or there can be a better one.
I'm pretty sure the Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, and DeviantART page for LN needs to be added. Once Navilator is finished, it could be a great resource.

Info/Community:
http://www.learnnavi.org/ - the homepage, with some out-of-date general information about the Na'vi language
http://forum.learnnavi.org/ - a discussion board and online community centered around the language
http://wiki.learnnavi.org/ - a collaborative project to compile all relevant information and aspects of the language. A login is required to contribute. (which are not the same as your forum login)
http://navilator.com - recently acquired from James Cunningham, the original author. A translator (work-in-progress) that will support multilingual translation to and from Na'vi.
Interactive:
LearnNavi IRC: irc.learnnavi.org:6667 #na'vi | Java web client (More information)
Teamspeak 3 server: ts.learnnavi.org:9987 (More information)
Skype Chat: Skype chat
LearnNavi around the web
Twitter
Facebook
YouTube
DeviantART Group

Maria TunVrrtep

Have all of that except Navilator.  I'll put that one in there.
    Margaret Drabble

Tirea Aean

Quote from: TunVrrtep on November 13, 2010, 09:33:35 AM
Have all of that except Navilator.  I'll put that one in there.

oh......... yeah. Navilator needs a disclaimer. please put eana eltu up there if you are gonna put that. (even tho navilator goes eng-nav and ee goes nav-eng) http://dvi.clonk2c.ch/navi_translate.pl

Tirea Aean

Oh by the way: has anyone checked this out? its the forum sitemap:

http://forum.learnnavi.org/index.php?action=sitemap

thought that may be helpful or something...

oh another thing: what's the status of this project?

apologize if this qualifies as a necro..

Maria TunVrrtep

Quote from: Tirea Aean on November 29, 2010, 07:40:04 AM

Yes.  I have a short explanation of each of the boards planned.  I'm still working on everything.  I've been really busy with work and school. 
If someone else wants to work on it, that's fine.  I'm still waiting for some info from some people on different subjects. 
I'll get something out as soon as I can, but this week is not possible at this point.  I got some bad news over the weekend and I'm scrambling to get some personal issues dealt with.
ta TV
    Margaret Drabble

Tirea Aean

Quote from: TunVrrtep on November 29, 2010, 12:17:48 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on November 29, 2010, 07:40:04 AM

Yes.  I have a short explanation of each of the boards planned.  I'm still working on everything.  I've been really busy with work and school. 
If someone else wants to work on it, that's fine.  I'm still waiting for some info from some people on different subjects. 
I'll get something out as soon as I can, but this week is not possible at this point.  I got some bad news over the weekend and I'm scrambling to get some personal issues dealt with.
ta TV

Completely understandable. just making sure that the project hasn't ended before it began. I hope everything goes over well :)

überdoodlet

Completely understandable. just making sure that the project hasn't ended before it began. I hope everything goes over well :)
That's what I was thinking, too.

Duma Vadamee {Aungia Tsawkeyä}

i have an idea for the look of the book, but im not sure if it will work with what you have in store for it.

old gallery link?id=2254[/img]

Maria TunVrrtep

Quote from: Duma Vadamee {Aungia Tsawkeyä} on December 07, 2010, 10:40:01 AM
i have an idea for the look of the book, but im not sure if it will work with what you have in store for it.

What's the idea?  We are still compiling information and I'm always looking for more stuff to put in it.
    Margaret Drabble

Duma Vadamee {Aungia Tsawkeyä}

depends on what the hole topic of the book is. is it all language? is it a survival guide? what? the cover depends on that. or i could make the back artwork....

old gallery link?id=2254[/img]