Is there a JSON/other processable format for a dictinoary of na'vi?

Started by KawngaTawtute, February 04, 2019, 01:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KawngaTawtute

Hello. I am currently trying to get a dictionary for a project that I'm doing, for a Na'vi->English and English->Na'vi translation project. But I find it quite difficult to find any official wordlist, or just any wordlist which is in a format such as JSON, XML etc. Could someone help me find one?

P.S. I am very new to this forum, so I do not know if this is the right place to post this. If it is not, please tell me, and I will delete the post.

Tirea Aean

Hey there! Welcome to the LN Forums!

I am the dev for fwew (https://github.com/tirea/fwew), a Na'vi dictionary app for command line with powerful search features and affix recognition and all that jazz. :D

I have pretty much mastered our dictionary database to the point where I can happily make anyone a custom file. All I need is the exact format you want for one line of file or one word (just post the text for one word as an example) and I'll have it uploaded asap.

Mind if I ask what exactly you're building? I'm curious :)

KawngaTawtute

Quote from: Tirea Aean on February 04, 2019, 01:24:16 AM
Hey there! Welcome to the LN Forums!

I am the dev for fwew (https://github.com/tirea/fwew), a Na'vi dictionary app for command line with powerful search features and affix recognition and all that jazz. :D

I have pretty much mastered our dictionary database to the point where I can happily make anyone a custom file. All I need is the exact format you want for one line of file or one word (just post the text for one word as an example) and I'll have it uploaded asap.

Mind if I ask what exactly you're building? I'm curious :)
Hey! Thanks for the reply. I am looking for just a basic dictionary, which looks something like this. Preferably a CSV file.

tawtute,n.,human

That project looks interesting too, I'll look into it. I am basically working on a project that can translate full sentences to and fro na'vi and English, and I am planning to implement it by manually coding in all the grammar rules(I am using Horen leNa'vi as a reference). It'll be fully open source, so I'll make sure to put the link here once I am finished with it.

Thanks,
-KawngaTawtute

Tirea Aean

Quote from: KawngaTawtute on February 04, 2019, 01:44:14 AM
Hey! Thanks for the reply. I am looking for just a basic dictionary, which looks something like this. Preferably a CSV file.

tawtute,n.,human

That project looks interesting too, I'll look into it.

Thanks,
-KawngaTawtute

Oh, if you want CSV, that will be problematic, because our definitions column contains commas and semicolons all over the place. TSV would be less error-prone format. If that's the case, I already have one made that fwew is using (a file called dictionary.txt). It's over at https://tirea.learnnavi.org/dictionarydata/ along with many other files you may find interesting/relevant. :)

EDIT: The format you mention, `navi`,`partOfSpeech`,`localized` reminds me somewhat of NaviDictionary_eng.tsv that I have there at the link I mentioned above. This file was generated for jMemorize, but if you remove the first line, I'm sure it could be useful for anything. Fwew's dictionary.txt file contains IPA pronunciation guides, infix location data, and word source data that most of the other files do not contain.

KawngaTawtute

Quote from: Tirea Aean on February 04, 2019, 01:46:50 AM
Quote from: KawngaTawtute on February 04, 2019, 01:44:14 AM

tawtute,n.,human

That project looks interesting too, I'll look into it.

Thanks,
-KawngaTawtute

Oh, if you want CSV, that will be problematic, because our definitions column contains commas and semicolons all over the place. TSV would be less error-prone format. If that's the case, I already have one made that fwew is using (a file called dictionary.txt). It's over at https://tirea.learnnavi.org/dictionarydata/ along with many other files you may find interesting/relevant. :)
Awesome, thank you so much for that. I appreciate it a lot. I will make sure to cite you in the project.

Thanks,
-KawngaTawtute

Tirea Aean

Quote from: KawngaTawtute on February 04, 2019, 01:51:16 AM
Awesome, thank you so much for that. I appreciate it a lot.
No problem :D

QuoteI will make sure to cite you in the project.

Thanks,
-KawngaTawtute

Irayo :)

Though I cannot take credit for our database or the actual data it contains which makes it into these generated files. ;)

I look forward to seeing what you make from this! :D