Learn Na'vi the Easy Way: Corrections

Started by Kir`ti Aymungal, June 09, 2011, 12:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toruk Makto

I recommend that suggested corrections to the workbook be sent directly to Dusty White as private messages here on the forums. I am not sure that he has seen the good work that has been going on here in support of his workbook.

Markì

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Toruk Makto on December 17, 2011, 08:18:49 AM
I recommend that suggested corrections to the workbook be sent directly to Dusty White as private messages here on the forums. I am not sure that he has seen the good work that has been going on here in support of his workbook.

Markì

A while back, I e-mailed him with all of the errors, and he didn't respond well.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

'Oma Tirea

Markì
Tse after responding to your PM, I have uploaded the file :)

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

tsyili

Kaltxi.
I wish I would have found this before I finished the word search. I asked three different people to help me find "fpìl", although I did figure out the first one because of the lack of a double r in the puzzle.  ;D

Palulukan Maktoyu

personally i would have hoped considering some of his comments in the cover pages, that he would have turned the rights over to the forum so it could be updated and corrected and then redistributed. His site is still up ( the one mentioned in the last pages ) but no mention, links or references even to this publication. sad really

Edit with update:
excellent news! I've heard back from Kaltxì Palulukan!
He reserves the right to read the corrections to the book,
And will even make the corrections if I submit them to him directly.
This will benefit all so I'm going to dedicate some time to this and it will help me learn in the
Process!
Defiantly going to file this thread so any other corrections please psst them here!
And I'll get them off to him as soon as I can.

Eywa smiles on this day!
Fkol syaw oeru Palulukan Maktoyu Ta'lengean

Twitter: https://twitter.com/navi_wotd

Blue Elf

Great! See post #22 in this thread - there's bunch of corrections. I'll try find my own comments, if I didn't deleted them already. What is really necessary is to shuffle lines (or word bank) in exercises, where you must select word from the bank and put it in appropriate sentence. Also puzzles needs some corrections, as some words can't be found (both issues reported here already)
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Palulukan Maktoyu

Quote from: Blue Elf on May 04, 2012, 12:53:08 AM
Great! See post #22 in this thread - there's bunch of corrections. I'll try find my own comments, if I didn't deleted them already. What is really necessary is to shuffle lines (or word bank) in exercises, where you must select word from the bank and put it in appropriate sentence. Also puzzles needs some corrections, as some words can't be found (both issues reported here already)

Downloaded that and will get it in the list of things to goto KP!

Palulukan Maktoyu

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on January 02, 2012, 01:41:57 PM

Markì

ok i've downloaded this file and have as well started "working" the work book in part to verify the puzzles etc.etc.

I will ask though Oma Tirea, how long ago did you make these files as well where did you get the pdf that you based these on as SOME not all of the cases where you said in for example puzzle 1, "Hapxì" had an I instead of a Ì i found that it did have the correct character in the pdf, both in the one linked from the main downloads page and from 2 links Dusty himself posted. ( can give you those if you like )
just asking as i've also been given a copy from Dusty of the "Final" that the links he posted are based on which also appear to match the one from the main downloads page.

thanks for the info so far as i go through those so far as the points about Digraphs in the puzzles so far still match ( eg: a tx appear's as T X instead of together as 1 character space as other Diagraphs do like NG )
although I will guess that in some cases it was due to need of the spacing and sharing of letters but not all cases.
nice find's though in puzzle 3!
the unlisted words ( still going through that )

the noted missing words are verified so far. anyway have a look at the current pdf vs whatever you based your checking's on as i think there's a minor mismatch.

Palulukan Maktoyu

Ok small update as i'm sure this one caught a few eye's
page number 16 ( adobe page number 42/91)
item #8 Arrive : (putting the grammer aside of the sentence. )
the word's in the word bank don't have the correct word at all
either päghem ( arrive ) but for correctness of the sentence should have been "pate" ( arrive, at a place )
which the latter of the 2 would have only been 4 letters and basically not fit in a 5 letter word activity.
just thought this needed posting as some may have guessed the wrong word as there are a few i know just now reading this book

have this in the list of items going to KP for correction

Blue Elf

I found some of my notes: In attached ZIP, you find word searches from page 1 a 2. What is striked by red line should be deleted, those are missing words. In first word search is pointed out correction using blue rectangles (compare with original). However I have no idea why some letters are circled out. Can't remember.
More of my notes you can already find in this thread (I hope I posted them all)
Another one on page 21 - puzzle saying "I see you brother and thank you......" It is a little scrambled on line 3. From the beginning here goes text "irayo". But "ay" goes into "double cell" and one cell remains empty. I'll try to prepare correct look, when I have access to the scanner. IMO this puzzle was different in "beta" version and was corrected incorrectly

Palulukan Maktoyu

Ok i've got that and will add it to the list that i'm working against.
I really need to get with a few maybe even in private message or teamspeak regarding some of the correction suggestion as to clarify the meaning as i can't see anything wrong in the current document, as well some of the page numbering in the siggestion list is actually wrong. most likely meaning the person was working on a document that was older then the one's currently available.
SO with that in mind.

The Challenge!

The Main LearnNavi.org downloads page ( as is the MOST viewable to newcomers and new students and most likely to be downloaded)
[url=http://www.learnnavi.org/docs/Easiest_Way_to_Learn_Navi_Ever-Vol_1.pdf]http://www.learnnavi.org/docs/Easiest_Way_to_Learn_Navi_Ever-Vol_1.pdf[/url]
MODERATOR EDIT: That file isn't there since a milenium... So, the link has been disabled.

or from here

Dated mar 27 2011 ( this has a high quality print version for professional printing and a home version) both have the same content with the I think exception of higher resolution images for the fancy picture stuff

Get the latest version above! The same one that would affect newcomer's to this site, look through it and compare it to your previous notes regarding this publication.

and post the mistakes either in a document ( txt file) or to here.

include the in document page number ( number at the bottom of the page in the document)

include the paragraph ( where possible)

And if you put a short phrase comment like " *KXEYEY: middle EY is not a diphthong here. " please be ready to also explain WHY it's not, and include if possible a refrence to a current document that upholds this.
there is 2 reasons for this request.
1. If the comment is correct,  then the those reading it learn an invaluable new thing. If however it's wrong and the item was correct in the document the person making the comment will learn something new just in the search to find reference. As well by including a reference for correctness it give people SOMETHING of a list of documents to check against when they read something they don't quite understand.

i'll give and example of my reply to that above sample since it's not clear WHY it's not.
Horen Lì'fyayä leNa'vi:A Reference Grammar of Na'vi
William S. Annis: Version 1.19, April 7, 2012
2.1.2.2. The diphthongs are aw, ay, ew and ey. Only in diphthongs will w or y be seen at the
end of a syllable (new) or before a final consonant (hawng).

I've bolded and colored the line from that refrence to show why a person would question WHY the person would say that EY wasn't a diphthong.

spelling is important so spelling mistakes are important.
grammer of ENGLISH sentences is important. however grammer correctness unless specified in the book that the section deals with grammer of the Na'vi language is not. however having an incorrect word used in the example is a needed thing ( see my previous post about the 5 letter words puzzle where the correct word wasn't even in the puzzle and the hint definatly wasn't suggesting the correct one either )

this book is about getting your hands into the basic's , not about being a stand alone book. ( at least at this point ) I will ask about this.  So noting the grammer usage of a na'vi reference is not going to always be of good practice here. ( would be fine in Na'vi in a nutshell, or Horen's as those documents aren't intended to be for lack of a better term, a starter's book)
this particular book is just that, STARTING POINT.

Thank you already to those who have commented already. for those that have done in the past, please make sure your copy is up to date, as the 1st zip I got is clearly starting to show that it's from previous versions of the book and not the march 27/29th 2011 final version.

Irayo!

Palulukan Maktoyu

Quote from: Blue Elf on May 08, 2012, 03:20:02 AM
I found some of my notes: In attached ZIP, you find word searches from page 1 a 2. What is striked by red line should be deleted, those are missing words. In first word search is pointed out correction using blue rectangles (compare with original). However I have no idea why some letters are circled out. Can't remember.
More of my notes you can already find in this thread (I hope I posted them all)
Another one on page 21 - puzzle saying "I see you brother and thank you......" It is a little scrambled on line 3. From the beginning here goes text "irayo". But "ay" goes into "double cell" and one cell remains empty. I'll try to prepare correct look, when I have access to the scanner. IMO this puzzle was different in "beta" version and was corrected incorrectly

Irayo!
If you look at the current version of that puzzle there is a Side note. if you ( or I, once i finish proofing the english grammer and such in it ) come up with a corrected version of this. Then i think we can submit that for replacing the current on in it.

this is the side note on that page:
"*PLEASE NOTE: Late in the editing phase we realised that ireiyo (From James Cameron) was changed by ( USC Professor Paul Frommer) to irayo. Simply put: this book has taken three months out of my life and i just found this book may not even see the light of day until FOX's lawyers decide "if" we can help you learn Na'vi for free. This puzzle takes too much effort to fix at this point, as no one is getting paid for any of this and no one may ever even be allowed to read this book. So these two grid squares are now fused together. I appologise for any inconvience. "

Kaltxì Palulukan already knew this needed correcting but at the time he was made aware that he may never be allowed to release this book out into the public due to copyright and trademark's. So if anything we should be grateful up to this stage even that he was allowed to release it at all. ( which I'm sure many are )
I for one would be willing to actually pay for books made in this fashion, and even MORE so if they not only were digitial so i could put them on my kindle or even better print them off myself. I would justify the payment even for it to the hard work the person put into research, and compilation to a structured way of learning. something I'm finding a lack of in the current state of trying to learn Na'vi.
Anyway keep it coming i've noted this and will keep things here regarding this.
I've been asked to concentrate on the grammer's ( english bits ) for the moment then go back and hit the hard things afterwords.

Irayo and keep the suggestions coming! ( may setup and email myself specificially for this... tbc )

Blue Elf

So - here's how puzzle should be designed correctly ("ay" in irayo is not dipthong...)

Palulukan Maktoyu

Irayo ma Blue Elf!

I've sent the first lot of corrections ( that mainly involved simple typo's and grammer things throughout the book, once I get back that revision, then recheck to make sure we got all the basic's and then move into correctness of the puzzles and such.  i did include a few puzzle corrections up till the point where it was requested by KP to concentrate on the easy stuff first like english typo's and such, then we'd move to the hard parts. =)
I'll include this with the puzzle correction requests once we get onto that, I did make KP aware that you were making this update correction =)

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Palulukan Maktoyu Ta'lengean on May 06, 2012, 09:51:22 PM
Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on January 02, 2012, 01:41:57 PM

Markì

ok i've downloaded this file and have as well started "working" the work book in part to verify the puzzles etc.etc.

I will ask though Oma Tirea, how long ago did you make these files as well where did you get the pdf that you based these on as SOME not all of the cases where you said in for example puzzle 1...

The files were based on a "beta" version of the PDF, so there may be a touch of inaccuracy.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Palulukan Maktoyu

The files were based on a "beta" version of the PDF, so there may be a touch of inaccuracy.

[/quote]

Irayo for your reply. well as it happens i've gone through a first wave of corrections and sent them to Dusty. he's due to get with me again in the next few days and send me back a corrected document. then we start heavy on the puzzle correctness etc. etc. SO of you like grab a copy from the downloads section and have a look at the version i'm working on now, as the corrections so far as just things like english wording and grammar, mistakes, punctuation and such. the puzzles i did find some of your correction items and have noted them.  ms Blue Elf was kind enough to post a CORRECTED puzzle for one of them which i'll be noting and adding to the next volly of corrections when sent to Dusty. feel free to mention any one's you see yourself as any constructive feedback for making it correct will be welcomed. =)

Palulukan Maktoyu

:D :D :D :D  Wonderful news for those following. the first set of corrections have been applied and i've been sent the revised version by
Dusty White. Thusly it's on to correcting the Puzzles and such and clear up any last things that need correcting.  Feel free to grab the existing public release from the download section ,  and have a look over it, being such you will find simple grammar and spelling items that may have already been addressed , Blue Elf was kind enough to already make a correction to one of the puzzles which i have downloaded and will be passed to Dusty during the next update. All in all this hopefully in theory should be the last one needed, as this was not a complete Re-Write intention just correction's and bring it a bit closer to accurate to give inspiring Na'vi beginner's a starting point to get comfortable with this wonderful language.

feel free to drop me a private msg if you like with any corrections, or post them here for all that may or may not be looking it over.

Toruk Makto

Note that due to the uncorrected errors and stalled status of this endeavor after only one volume, Dr. Frommer has asked that this material be withdrawn from the pantheon of Na'vi learning materials. It is apparently still for sale on Amazon, but please be aware that it should not be considered authoritative.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf