Learning Na'vi Vocabulary: The Easy Way

Started by MuneTompaTaem, January 07, 2012, 11:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palulukan Maktoyu

for android
i'm using External Keyboard Helper Pro ( there is a free version i think but worth every penny for the pro)

here's the paid version
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apedroid.hwkeyboardhelper&hl=en

here's the demo version
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apedroid.hwkeyboardhelperdemo&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5hcGVkcm9pZC5od2tleWJvYXJkaGVscGVyZGVtbyJd

it works both on my asus transformer prime which has a keyboard dock, and my galaxy S3 using a bluetooth targus keyboard.
the bluetooth keyboard also worked with my prime using this. so worth trying the demo
=)

and yes i can see your point on older pc's with smaller keyboards this would be an issue. as they wouldn't have the right alt key

Fkol syaw oeru Palulukan Maktoyu Ta'lengean

Twitter: https://twitter.com/navi_wotd

Blue Elf

Quote from: Tsyalatun te Eyktan Txuratu'itan on April 12, 2013, 04:17:48 PM
So just came back from the pub having had an excellent meal, and read this.... and added é to the course.  I've been debating about that one a bit as strictly there isn't a é in Na'vi, and it's only a possible representation of the different word stress.  I've been wondering whether we should also allow "tute" as a valid input for it as well.
IMHO dictionary is not completely correct here
tute is person
tute is woman.
tuté is just some special notation, which can be used, but it is not mandatory (and in fact, is not very widely used). Context always make things clear. However, memrise should accept both tute and tuté as correct responses to woman.
Will not be here problem with synonyms? (person X woman)
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Palulukan Maktoyu

Quote from: Blue Elf on April 13, 2013, 01:31:32 PM
So just came back from the pub having had an excellent meal, and read this.... and added é to the course.  I've been debating about that one a bit as strictly there isn't a é in Na'vi, and it's only a possible representation of the different word stress.  I've been wondering whether we should also allow "tute" as a valid input for it as well.
tute is person
tute is woman.
tuté is just some special notation, which can be used, but it is not mandatory (and in fact, is not very widely used). Context always make things clear.

when i saw the thread about this, i thought the same thing as you Blue Elf. and it had even crossed my mind that it's not going to be an easy thing to overlook seeing that we have this memrise set to be specific on spelling ( for good reason ) but not sure how this should go really. best really at this stage is to recognize that it's a written thing only to preserve the remembrance of the stress
Fkol syaw oeru Palulukan Maktoyu Ta'lengean

Twitter: https://twitter.com/navi_wotd

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Blue Elf on April 13, 2013, 01:31:32 PM
So just came back from the pub having had an excellent meal, and read this.... and added é to the course.  I've been debating about that one a bit as strictly there isn't a é in Na'vi, and it's only a possible representation of the different word stress.  I've been wondering whether we should also allow "tute" as a valid input for it as well.
tute is person
tute is woman.
tuté is just some special notation, which can be used, but it is not mandatory (and in fact, is not very widely used). Context always make things clear. However, memrise should accept both tute and tuté as correct responses to woman.
Will not be here problem with synonyms? (person X woman)

Mllte. This is my thought.

TUte tuTE, I believe, was purposefully designed to show the importance of stress. é is a character that is only found in one single word. it's not even in the Na'vi alphabet. it's just an e with a stress marker. I have found that the word tuté isn't very common, but when it is used, it's always written tuté by people.

The thing about the dictionary is, if it were not the way it is currently, there are two other choices:

repeat the word tute right after itself, with the IPA showing the difference in stress, and the definitions being person and woman respectively
or
have the entry tute once, two different IPA, two different definitions. This would be confusing and I don't like it.

Repeating an entry might be annoying or appear as a mistake or something. I'm not totally opposed to that though.

For the memrise, I rather like the idea of accepting e for é. But keeping the é button on there just in case someone wants to be all precise with the way it is in the dictionary.

Tsyalatun te Eyktan Txuratu'itan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on April 14, 2013, 09:28:15 AM
For the memrise, I rather like the idea of accepting e for é. But keeping the é button on there just in case someone wants to be all precise with the way it is in the dictionary.
I will make that change shortly.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tsyalatun te Eyktan Txuratu'itan on April 14, 2013, 09:31:19 AM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on April 14, 2013, 09:28:15 AM
I will make that change shortly.

You're awesome.

Quote from: Tirea Aean on April 14, 2013, 12:21:10 PM
You're awesome.
I also sent a mail to the memrise folk a while back about multiple course editors, and received a reply while I was away... and the news is... it's now possible to add others to maintain a v1 course!  So, I've added my normal ID to "All Na'vi Vocabulary" so I can now maintain it without needing a second separate browser. :)

I'm still waiting for a non-automated answer on the automatic synonyms though (the "well" problem.)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tsyalatun te Eyktan Txuratu'itan on April 17, 2013, 01:07:36 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on April 14, 2013, 12:21:10 PM
You're awesome.
I also sent a mail to the memrise folk a while back about multiple course editors, and received a reply while I was away... and the news is... it's now possible to add others to maintain a v1 course!  So, I've added my normal ID to "All Na'vi Vocabulary" so I can now maintain it without needing a second separate browser. :)

I'm still waiting for a non-automated answer on the automatic synonyms though (the "well" problem.)

Oh cool! So that means you probably don't need my account anymore. Which reminds me... I forgot that random password. Could you email it to me rutxe? I might wanna pop on and play.

Quote from: Tirea Aean on April 17, 2013, 09:29:36 PM
Oh cool! So that means you probably don't need my account anymore. Which reminds me... I forgot that random password. Could you email it to me rutxe? I might wanna pop on and play.
True.  And yes, it was a random password that not even I can remember, but thankfully due to the way you sent it to me, I can find it... :)
I do still need to modify my scripts to use my login for accessing your course though.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tsyalatun te Eyktan Txuratu'itan on April 19, 2013, 01:05:26 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on April 17, 2013, 09:29:36 PM
True.  And yes, it was a random password that not even I can remember, but thankfully due to the way you sent it to me, I can find it... :)
I do still need to modify my scripts to use my login for accessing your course though.

Nevermind. I found the password in a text file hidden somewhere.

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Tsyalatun te Eyktan Txuratu'itan on March 13, 2013, 02:58:45 PM
Quote from: Herwìna on March 13, 2013, 01:58:12 PM
It was here, but you sent it in November or something so no wonder you don't remember which it was. I get an error message which states "couldn't find user". :/ But anyway, the course is now public if that is of any help anymore.
Technically, this is off topic for this thread... but looking back to my very first post, it still seems to be owned by me, so my ID hasn't changed on the forum.  Not sure why it couldn't send it then.

Back on topic...
The memrise folk normally take about 24 hours to respond, so we should have an answer for you tomorrow.  Thanks for making the Na'vi Adpositions course publically viewable though... and of course, thanks for creating the course in the first place (it's my only completed memrise course so far!)

It would be nice if it could be updated to contain all of the adpositions - there are 43 in total - here's the full list from the current dictionary, sorted alphabetically and marked up, with the ones not in your course in bold:

äo-, eo-, fa-, few-, fkip-, fpi+, ftu-, hu-, ìlä+, io-, ka-, kam-, kay-, kip-, kxamlä-, lisre+, lok-, luke-, maw-, mì+, mìkam-, mungwrr-, na-, ne-, nemfa-, nuä+, pxaw-, pxel-, pximaw-, pxisre+, ro+, rofa-, sìn-, sko+, sre+, ta-, tafkip-, takip-, talun-, teri-, uo-, vay-, wä+

I can produce a file from the dictionary data which has just those "new" adpositions in, which you can then paste into the memrise database bulk add for your course.  You then would need to add them to the levels and create a new level.  (I don't know if recreating the levels might wipe out your students data - I've been avoiding doing that with Tirea's course.)  Or we can wait to hear back from the memrise people...

This has now been remedied! :)
Please post any other problems with the adpositions course in it's original thread to keep this one from getting OT.  :-X
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Blue Elf

I think I've found another incorrect synonyms:
fmetok - test as verb X tìfmetok - test as noun. Noun is accepted on place of verb and vice versa, what is wrong.

Tirea Aean

I think that the Memrise synonym engine picks up that if two words share the same exact definition (regardless of part of speech) then they must be synonyms. I say that in order to keep this false synonym thing from happening, the definitions must be somehow changed, even if slightly, to differentiate.

Alyara Arati

Really, because slan and tìslan have the exact same definition and are not being accepted as synonyms.  Which is a problem when you have to guess which one they want.  Section 81.  If you can fix this, thanks in advance. :)

Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Alyara Arati on May 30, 2013, 04:10:07 PM
Really, because slan and tìslan have the exact same definition and are not being accepted as synonyms.  Which is a problem when you have to guess which one they want.  Section 81.  If you can fix this, thanks in advance. :)

Either way... What needs to be done is obviously:

link synonyms that aren't alread linked
unlink and Change definitions for differentiation for words that are not synonyms.

Ok... So can we make a list of:

1. words that are synonyms and need to be linked
2. Words that are linked and should not be linked because they are not synonyms
3. Words that have the same definition but different part of speech (whether linked or not doesn't matter)

Please give section number with each word (like you have there. It's very convenient)

And Either Tsyalatun or I can get to it when possible.

Blue Elf

I'll try to report it every time I notice. But it is not possible to discover section number when I notice the problem during watering (what usually happens...).

Blue Elf

Found mistake in definition of frato:
superlative marker than all (behaves like an adp.). Bold part is not correct - needs to be removed

Blue Elf

It is not possible make difference between tìmok and sämok, they're probably synonyms now - but there's difference. See issue in dictionary thread

Quote from: Blue Elf on July 28, 2013, 12:56:48 PM
It is not possible make difference between tìmok and sämok, they're probably synonyms now - but there's difference. See issue in dictionary thread
Updated.

For those who have an interest in Na/vi word audio on memrise, we're now up to 385 words with vetted audio, with 200 of those added this week alone!